CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course we've all heard references like "Jumping the Shark", a huge pop culture reference. I love them.

While watching Speed Racer tis weekend during the headhunters scene, I looked over to my brother in law and said "Looks like they are giving him old Malachi Crunch". He didn't know what that meant. Him being 42 and all, I thought what a maroon(another pop culture ref. )

So I thought I'd make a thread for people to list their favorite pop culture sayings and where they came from.

Malachi Crunch - Happy Days. The Fonz was racing in a demolition derby where the star players were a pair of brothers with the last name Malachi. There signature move was the "Malachi Crunch", which was unstoppable. Growing up every time we tackled someone from both sides, you call it giving him a Malachi Crunch.

What are your favorites?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Malachi Crunch reminds me of the Johnson shift. My dad taught me how our neighbor Mr. Johnson would prevent folks from passing him when a lane merges from two lanes to one. Sadly, surburban Schenectady lingo does not qualify as pop culture, and I no longer employ this technique due to fear of road rage (not to mention I no longer drive a steel LeSabre).

My favorite: "You're pushing your luck, little man."

It's my favorite because my daughter picked it up. I'm expecting "No soup for you!" and others to be picked up as well within a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Being a red shirt, a reference to the original Star Trek series where non-recurring cast members, in red shirts, beamed down with Kirk, and most often ended up being some sort of casualty. i.e. meaning expendable and likely to see a bad outcome shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Being a red shirt, a reference to the original Star Trek series where non-recurring cast members, in red shirts, beamed down with Kirk, and most often ended up being some sort of casualty. i.e. meaning expendable and likely to see a bad outcome shortly.

Also a fav of mine as well. I love watching LOST, and every time an unknown actor bites the dust I look at my wife and whisper "red shirt!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

So I thought I'd make a thread for people to list their favorite pop culture sayings and where they came from.

Pop culture references mostly show up on the internet, mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthan Heiselt
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
To pull a Homer - coined from the animated series The Simpsons meaning "to succeed despite idiocy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:

Pop culture references mostly show up on the internet, mostly.

A most subtle thumbs up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a Golden Grahams day (or more likely, not having a Golden Grahams day). From a TV commercial for Golden Grahams cereal. If you eat the cereal, it's supposed to help you have a great day.

The Malachi Crunch! Haven't heard that one in many, many years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not my favorite, but certainly memorable because it was co-opted during a presidential race:

"Where's the beef?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Not my favorite, but certainly memorable because it was co-opted during a presidential race:

"Where's the beef?"

I was trying to explain this one to my kids the other day ...

"see, there was this commercial where a little old lady would say 'where's the beef?' it was hilarious!"

You should have seen the blank look on their faces---geez I felt old!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised by my mother-in-law not getting a reference to the Keystone Cops. I'm not that old, but is this a dying reference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not pass Go or Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, taken from Monopoly's "Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Go directly to jail." Meaning you've been caught red-handed or there is no way out of your predicament.

Do I have this right? It seems to me I have heard this or something similar several times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
"15 minutes of fame" which has become more and more true with internet memes, youtube and whatnot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the specific pop culture reference, but lately I've become fond of saying, "Find a new fool to love you!"

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These quotes come to mind, but they aren't very subtle.

"It's like deja vu all over again." - Yogi Berra

"Go ahead, make my day." - Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry (do I really need to provide a reference for this one?!)

"Say hello to my little friend." - Al Pacino in Scarface

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!" - Thug in Blazing Saddles

"No soup for you." - The "Soup Nazi" in Seinfeld

That's all for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
"SHHHH! Do you Smell something?"- Dan Ackroyd, Ghostbusters.

"Have a better one!"- Police officer to Deckard, Blade Runner. (obscure, I know).

"For my next impression- Jesse Owens!"- Sherrif Bart, Blazing Saddles.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have several that we use among ourselves, including:

Instead of "give me five", it's "give me paw!" (Lonestar to Barf, from Spaceballs)

When asked "How many do you want, its' "Ohh, three or four" (from the Bugs Bunny 'toon w/ Pete Puma)

When asked a question you either can't or don't know the answer to, it's either
"Don't know. Never been attacked by tree" (Mr Myagi to Daniel-san in Karate Kid 2), or
"Don't know. Mongo only pawn in game of life" (Mongo to Sherrif Bart in Blazing Saddles)

When asked "what are we going to do?" the reply is "The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!" (Brain, to Pinky from Pinky & The Brain)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Malachi Crunch

I use this ALL THE TIME and no one ever has any idea what I'm talking about.

Some others that get a workout around here:

"Let me tell you about my mother." - Bladerunner

"If only you spoke Hovitos." - Raiders of the Lost Ark

Also:

"So what you're saying is you know what a duvet is." - A sideways reference to Fight Club used to infer pussy-whippance when someone says something like, "Guys, I'd love to play the Manly Ass-Kicking Game but I have to go to Bed Bath & Beyond with the wife."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
It's weird (that is to say creepy) the way stuff from TV sticks with you.

My brother and I still laugh about the "Sneaky Snooper." We used to watch Three's Company and in one episode Mr. Furly sends away for a surveillance device called the Sneaky Snooper, which looks like a drinking glass with an antenna on it. You put the open end of the glass onto a wall and you put your ear on the other end to hear what's going on in the next room. To this day if there's any reference to eavesdropping in a conversation one of us will mention the need for a Sneaky Snooper.

Of course, back then pretty much anything involving Don Knotts was considered Pure Comedy Gold as far as my brother and I were concerned.

There also this little doozy, which was an ad for a radio station that we would see all the time while we were in college.

Thereafter "moon boots" was our secret code word for a person of portly girth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:

Which in itself is a pop culture reference to
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (John Huston, 1948)
"Badges... BADGES??? We ain't got no badges. We don' need no stinkin' badges!"
The "we ain't got no badges." is usually omitted when the line is used in pop culture.

edit: I'll add my own most common refrences while gaming:

After I make a particularly foolish move: D'oh

When choosing colors: I'll take Blue... No Green...Ahhhhh

After a particularly good "screwage" move against me by an opponent: KAAAAAHN

When things look bleak but I'm still am in the game: I'm not quite dead yetand/orIt's only a flesh wound

and two that most don't get right away, when things go right it's Right up over the bridge(Oddball to Moriarity in Kelly's Heroes)
and when setting up a trap(not said within earshot of the intended victim)If it's Midway... we'll bushwhack'em (Henry Fonda as Adm. Chester Nimitz in Midway)
edits 2&3 Grammer & Spelinshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:

Actually, that's from Treasure of the Sierra Madre and appropriated by Mel Brooks for Blazing Saddles.

No charge this time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much all of my references are from Arrested Development, and are highly inappropriate.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

When first meeting a reasonably moral female..."That's the kind of girl that when she gets pregnant, stays pregnant..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
mrspank wrote:

Actually, that's from Treasure of the Sierra Madre and appropriated by Mel Brooks for Blazing Saddles.

No charge this time!

Well Larry, that's not the quote from Treasure of the Sierra Madre. It's just the standard misquote. If you want to go for source material, then you have to go to the original book from which the screenplay was adapted.

The line, as quoted, actually is from Blazing Saddles. There will be a small charge this time. I will expect my free copy of Agricola by next Thursday, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
mrspank wrote:

Which in itself is a pop culture reference to
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (John Huston, 1948)
"Badges... BADGES??? We ain't got no badges. We don' need no stinkin' badges!"
The "we ain't got no badges." is usually omitted when the line is used in pop culture.

Nice try, but the "stinkin'" doesn't come in until the third line, "I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

These lines are fairly well documented all over the place, but we all still go on misquoting them from memory. Me? I watched this movie for about the 18th time three or four weeks ago, and I still can't ever get the quote right without going to a reliable source such as this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Beam me up, Scotty."

Although that line probably was never uttered in any episode of the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.