tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

So I went ahead and finally printed out Zombie in My Pocket, and man am I ever glad I did! Jeremiah Lee has given the world a really neat little game here, and for any of us geeks who aspire to someday create our own game ( and don't even get me started about dreaming of said new game being a big hit ) this stands as an amazing example of what you can do with a little bit of paper and a whole lot of Imagination.

I am a gamer at heart, I grew up a gamer, I am still gaming, I will hopefully always be able to game, but I am also a social person. I prefer Board Games to Video games because of the interaction So I would always rather play with other people, but once n a while it is nice to play a solo game. I really enjoy ZIMP for being a quick fun game. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes from my 17 plays so far. Some games haven't taken that long and maybe a couple of them clocked in around 12 minutes or so after the first few figure the game out plays.

It is Free: This alone should make you want to have a copy. Hey I can always use another game in my collection with out taking a big or little hit to my wallet. 3 pieces of paper and ink is about as cheap as you can get all said and done. Plus this game lends itself to print a few up and give a couple of copies to friends or kids you know. How cool is it to give someone a game they will really enjoy.

Components: They are what you make of it, your printing it out. I printed it out on regular paper first to see if I liked it. I didn't like it, I loved it. So I then reprinted the tiles in very thick card stock, and the cards in a thick card stock. I wanted the tiles to be higher quality so I couldn't see anything through them.
The rules are really slick. He has it all on one page and then info on how to fold the page down 3 times and you have 8 sections and you know it is meant to fit in your pocket and is very light and mobile. I am 41 years old and I hate to admit it, but my eyes are going. I asked J. L. if he would list the rules in bigger print. He had no problem added them to the geek and now you can have the rules in 8 big easy to read pages, if your worried about all that paper print on both sides. These rules are very user friendly for older people such as myself. He recommends using a d6 & d10 to keep track of attack value and health points. I have found this works good, but paper and pen work better for me. I have knocked the dice a few times and then was like what was my health at. Once you play a few games the attack value is not such an issue, but remembering how many times you used the chain saw might be ( your ears just perked up a little at the mention of the chain saw didn't you - I will get to that I promise ). I use a mini from another game or just any old thing ( match stick, pebble, etc. ) to represent my Hero.

The art work is very simple but actualy really nice, being easy on the eyes. The cards are are very cool and a new mechanic for me personally. A card has 3 time slots with 9 PM, 10 PM, and 11 PM and something written in each slot. So when you flip a card you resolve the situation based on what time it is in the game. The cards also has an item in the top right corner that might be picked up. There are only 9 cards in the game so they are printed out on 1 sheet of paper. There are 2 types of tiles: House tiles and outside tiles, 8 of each. It takes a page to print out both sets of tiles, they are about 2/3 the size of the cards.

Game Play: The rules are straight forward and easy to understand. You are trying to find an Evil Temple in the House, then get a cursed totem from said House. Then you need to head out side and find the graveyard to bury the totem their and end the zombie curse that has befallen your ( some ones ) house. It is all suppose to take 3 hours in game time and it is as much a race against the clock half the time as it is a fight against the zombies.
You start out with 1 Attack value and 6 Health. The first thing you do is seperate the foyer and the patio from the inside and outside tile stack and then mix those up good and place them off to the side face down. You then shuffle the cards and discard the top 2, leaving 7 in the pile face down. You place the Foyer ( inside tile ) in front of you and place your hero there ( a figure, a pebble,etc - attention this is not part of the game, do not look for it by the printer, get it your self ). There is only 1 door in the patio so you walk through it, you pick a tile from the inside pile and place it face up connected door to door to the patio ( some tiles have only 1 door and are a dead end, some have 1 or 2 other doors ). You draw a card every time you enter a new room and read what the time slot you are in says.

Card Example:

Grisly Femur

9 PM - Item

10 PM - 5 zombies

11 PM - You soul isn't want'd here -1 health

So if it is 9 PM you get to get an item, you would flip another card over and read what is in the top right of the card and keep up to 2 items at a time. A Femur gives you +1 to your attack value, a machete +2, a chain saw +3 but you only have 2 uses ( unless you find gasoline ). You can find candles that can be combines with oil or gasoline or food to heal you.
There are 9 cards, you discard the top 2 leaving 7 left. When you run out of cards you shuffle all 9 again discard the top 2 and that is the start of 10 PM, repeat for 11 PM and then your game is over if you run out of cards and you lose. This is a great system since if I want to pick a item up I am costing myself part of my precious time to save my hero. So there are decisions to make on getting items and wasting time. Some things may not help you unless you get a 2nd item to work with them so it can be a waste of time getting items sometimes when time is tight past 11 PM.
When there are zombies you have to fight them or run to another room that has already been opened ( usually the room you just came from ) and lose 1 health from the zombies getting a swipe at you. If you stand and fight take the # of Zobmies minus your attack value and that is how many wounds you take ( you can never get health points from a fight ). So 5 zombies - 2 ( 1 attack value and +1 for the Grisly Femur ) attack value is 3 wounds. So you take 3 off your current health point value. If you hit zero you die, game over. After you have resolved the card in a room or run away to hide in another room you can cower in the corner to get 3 health points back but you have to flip a card over and waste some more time ( you will have to cower a whole lot some games, and only a few times other games ).

You can actually come to a dead end in the house, in which case 3 Zombies bust through the walls and attack and then you can add a door there, which I think is a nice feature. 3 Z should be fairly easy to handle, but not always.

When you find the Evil Temple ( could be early or very late in the game and this makes such a big difference in the game ) you have to resolve a card like normal and then resolve a 2nd one to get the totem. The 2nd card can make you run away a lot of times it seems to me. Then you have to go back to or find the Dining room which is the only room with a door you can leave the house from. If you find the Evil Temple right away you still need to find the Dining Room to leave. When you make it to the Dining Room you can place the Outside Patio tile connected to it and then you go outside. Same rules as inside apply so you need to flip a card keeping the time ticking away on you. Then you need to find the Graveyard, and it usually winds up the games I get out of the house quickly in I always find the Graveyard almost last out of the tile pile. Making a game I thought I was going to win easily wind up coming down to the wire or ending in Doom for my hero. When you do find the Graveyard you need to resolve 2 cards to actually bury the totem and end the curse. I have had a few games end in failure with me only resolving one card in the grave yard - so close but so far away.
Some of the tiles give you a little bonus if you end your turn on them and this can be a Godsend for you hero ( either health or a free item - but the item still costs you the card to draw it, thus wasting time ). That is most of the rules and they are quick to learn and easy to remember. Once you have played a few games it goes really fast. The main thing once you have played is remember all the Items and how they function, after 10 games you know them well enough not to need the rules.

Fun Factor:Being a solo game this is a personal rating, but for me I have a lot of fun playing it. I like the games that are very close, even if I lose. You get a few games that you win really quick but most of them are very close to the end one way or the other ( even if you lose it is usually pretty close, although some times you just get destroyed - luck of the draw I tell you ). Lose a 2nd game in a row and tell me you are not involved in it emotionally, all bummed out, if you are behind in the 3rd game you are really worried for your little hero.
My wife and I have a gift shop and I am the salesperson for a few hours a days, when no one is in the store I sit in back and can play games or goof off on the computer. When I am alone I like having a few games I can play solo and this one is a great addition to my solo collection ( small that it is ). So for me this is a fun game and I like the zombie theme.

Rating: I rated it an 8 because -

This is a great little solo PNP, for free you can't beat it. I would rate it a solid 6.5 to be honest ( it loses 1/2 a point for only being solo ). I give it a +1 cause it is Free - which is just amazing me to ( free I tell you ). And I gave it a +.5 Cause the designer, Jeremiah Lee, is such a great guy ( I couldn't read the little 1 page rules, and he got a 8 page PDF up for me so I can now read the rules. Thanks you J.L. - You Rock )

And I will stand by my 8 for now. I can see not playing it all the time and it losing .5 - 1 in on my rating, but I also can tell I am already tweaking it myself and will play it a lot more just enjoying creating my own version of it ( and thus maybe even raising the rating I gave it ).

Wrap Up: Jeremiah Lee is a Super Good Guy and a gamer just like us. He told me he plays it by only getting +2 health when cowering, thus making it a harder game. So that is how I am playing it and think it makes for a even better game ( kinda like a harder level ). How cool is it that he is willing to talk with fans directly. He even tips GG if you do good write ups, which is reason enough to print this game out, try it out, and write up a session report or review on it. This is a Geek like us trying to claw his way up the design ladder, why not see what he has to offer and be able to say I played his free game before he ever published anything. WHen he is big and famous and known at Cons far and wide you will be happy you did!

A solo Zombie game that plays in under 10 minutes and is fun, what do you have to lose - if you don't like it then give it away it was only 3 pieces of paper, but don't even think of throwing it away cause some one you know would love to be fighting Zombies as we speak.

Enjoy

Game On'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

I got in 3 more games really quick at the end of work , they where all a blast.

I won the first one, lost the 2nd one, and the 3rd one went all the way down to the wire I tell you I flipped over the very last card and was still alive, which means I won. I had to explore 7 of the 8 house tiles, and 6 of the 8 outside tiles to win this one. I got a grisly femur to use and found a candle that never got used.

I had to cower twice
I had to run away twice.
I encountered 31 zombies
I killed 20 zombies ( 3 bare handed , the rest the the femur )

I had to go through almost all the tiles in both sets not allowing me time to get more items. It was a really fun game that went down to the wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Szymanski
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really are a true gamer and I thank you for writing such an amazing review. Im glad you liked that game cause I am a lover of it too.

AL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Al - Glad to hear others like it, check out The Variants to Zimp, I posted a thread there that might interest you also. and don't be afraid to give the top of the thread a thumb's up if you really liked it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome little game. One of my favorite solo games ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.