Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came across Cutthroat Caverns today and decided to buy it. I was hoping to get some opinions on the expansion. Is it something I'm going to need/want immediately and would you recommend that I just buy it with the base game or is it something I should wait for?

Sometimes expansions are considered "must haves" and sometimes not. What do people think of this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion adds a lot of new monsters plus a special power for each character.
While not a necessity, the added encounters does give more variety to the game. I have not read all encounters yet, as I prefer to read them as they appear in the game. So while I have played quite a few games by now, there are still encounters I have yet to see. To me that is a great asset.
One of the strenghts of the game is the huge variety of monsters. While the system itself is simple, the designer has done a good job at keeping every encounter unique. So I would say, if you like the base game there is no reason not to buy the expansion right away.

I have not yet tried to play with special powers, so cannot comment on that part. But that is just six cards anyway.

It looks like the planned expansions, further down the line, will be adding new rules to the system. But the first expansion is mostly about variety. So introducing the game to new players will be just as easy with this expansion as without.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
The expansion adds a lot of new monsters plus a special power for each character.
While not a necessity, the added encounters does give more variety to the game. I have not read all encounters yet, as I prefer to read them as they appear in the game. So while I have played quite a few games by now, there are still encounters I have yet to see. To me that is a great asset.
One of the strenghts of the game is the huge variety of monsters. While the system itself is simple, the designer has done a good job at keeping every encounter unique. So I would say, if you like the base game there is no reason not to buy the expansion right away.

I have not yet tried to play with special powers, so cannot comment on that part. But that is just six cards anyway.

It looks like the planned expansions, further down the line, will be adding new rules to the system. But the first expansion is mostly about variety. So introducing the game to new players will be just as easy with this expansion as without.

Hope that helps.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you! I think I may wait for the expansions that add rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should add the expansion after a few games with the base edition. The expansion is a good buy, though, and recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon H

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can try the game a few times to see if you enjoy it, and then hold off until August or so, the second expansion (I think it's called Relics and Ruin) should be available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick note from the designer:

All you've read above is a very fair assessment. Mostly, Deeper & Darker adds 15 new encounters - but they are good ones and really 'up' the danger quotient. The character abilities were the added game mechanic for this expansion and do add a little variation to playing each character, but I agree, the new critters are the best part of this one.

Get a feel for the base game - and then preview the new Encounters in the art gallery on our site... http://smirkanddagger.com/cutthroatGalleryDD.htm

If you like the base game, you will want the new Encounters, I am almost positive.

And yes, come August or Sept even more goodies will be ready which adds a whole new dimension to the game.

-Curt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.