Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
174 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

Merchant of Venus» Forums » General

Subject: Final COMPLETE custom remake of Merchant of Venus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: printing [+] laminating/walmart [+] 5 [+] photo [+] diy [+] Cool! [+] mil [+] [View All]
Michael Christopher
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, I have completed all of the components for the full custom remake of Merchant of Venus. The files are awaiting approval now. In the meantime, you can view the new stuff in the images (Creative) section.

Some of you will be disappointed, no doubt, that I chose to make the components circular. This is because I am planning to use circular craft punches to cut them out and mount them to wooden discs I have spray painted to match. I wanted chunky, heavy components that can be easily seen and handled. The circular components also have no sharp corners, so they are less likely to scratch and damage one another as they are mixed and drawn from the bag (homemade components can be fragile).

If you would prefer square components, our fellow BGG user, Adrian Dobrin (Shaade), has created some beautiful components as well. Although they are quite different from mine--they are very well done and many of you may prefer Adrian's work to my own (he even made images for the goods). Check them both out and pick the one you like best. Adrian thoughtfully designed his own components to be compatible with my map. See also his version of the market and the deeds designed as cards--very nicely done!

If you're interested, you can find inexpensive wood discs online at Casey's Wood Products: www.caseyswood.com

I bought 20x20 blank quadfold boards (along with matching blank 10x10 boxes) from Rolco online.

If you choose to take this on, be warned: it's gonna take a lot of time and you'll have to spend a little money as well. For me, this has all been about making something as attractive (to me) as possible, without letting silly little things like practicality stand in the way!

• [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the pics in your gallery are awesome! I had to download your files... thumbsup thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Astounding work again Michael! Much improved over your previous amazing work!

I'm also looking forward to the game you did the art for- Galáxia S.A..

To do this right will be expensive but well worth it. I was thinking of trying these guys for the board printing- http://gamer-printshop.com/ They can both mount and laminate it so will hold up well. I have access to a good color laser printer so can do the rest of the components. Good idea to do them on wood disks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply amazing! I must go make this set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christopher
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Astounding work again Michael! Much improved over your previous amazing work!

I'm also looking forward to the game you did the art for- Galáxia S.A..

To do this right will be expensive but well worth it. I was thinking of trying these guys for the board printing- http://gamer-printshop.com/ They can both mount and laminate it so will hold up well. I have access to a good color laser printer so can do the rest of the components. Good idea to do them on wood disks.

Thanks for the tip Scott. Actually, I've been using a plain old inkjet with semi-gloss photo paper and the highest resolution setting and the results are spectacular.

The only thing I think I might have trouble with will be mounting the print of my board to the blank quad-fold board I have. Anyone have any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dathkadan wrote:
Thanks for the tip Scott. Actually, I've been using a plain old inkjet with semi-gloss photo paper and the highest resolution setting and the results are spectacular.

Is it very difficult/possible for you to post the gameboard graphic file broken up into individual 8.5" x 11" sections for those of us without the ability to print larger sheets?

Regardless, thanks for all the hard work. I plan on making your version even already have the AH game!
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Dathkadan wrote:

Is it very difficult/possible for you to post the gameboard graphic file broken up into individual 8.5" x 11" sections for those of us without the ability to print larger sheets?

Regardless, thanks for all the hard work. I plan on making your version even already have the AH game!
laugh

I'd take the file down to your local printer and have it done on a wide format printer. Doing it in sections will look horrible and with all the text and detail, would be hard to lineup and play.

To do this right to stand the test of time and play will be expensive. I'm looking into it now and I expect to pay over $100 to do it right. But then I spent $100 for the base game on eBay so I can guess I can't complain!

For the tokens I'm thinking of printing them on stickers, putting them on the wood disks. Will pre-paint the disks but leave the sticker area clean. Then do 3 coats of clear gloss spraypaint to seal them. I've done that with counters before and works great. Just have to take care not to get too thick so the paper starts to separate.

Michael, not sure the best way to handle the board. I figure having it done with that printer as a one piece on foamcore and laminated would be best. Harder to store though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work on these files! It's a shame that MoV dosen't get reprinted as I think it would be a hit. It's one of Richard Hamblin's better designs.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely fantastic work. As the last guy said, this should be the official reprint of the game. There are lots of us who would like to play it but won't spend $100+ on ebay for it, and anyway this stuff looks awesome. Great job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Robrob wrote:
I'd take the file down to your local printer and have it done on a wide format printer. To do this right to stand the test of time and play will be expensive. I'm looking into it now and I expect to pay over $100 to do it right.

One thing to try is Walmart. You can upload a jpg image to their photo center, and get a 20" by 30" poster print for about $15.88. They even deliver it to your local store for free.

It is sort of a matt photograph print. The colors should look stunning on a photographic print. I am wondering if it would be durable enough, though. I think it might.

Edit: I am thinking of giving it a try. I need to photoshop the map and a few other sheets into a 20" x 30" image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
ScottE wrote:
Robrob wrote:
I'd take the file down to your local printer and have it done on a wide format printer. To do this right to stand the test of time and play will be expensive. I'm looking into it now and I expect to pay over $100 to do it right.

One thing to try is Walmart. You can upload a jpg image to their photo center, and get a 20" by 30" poster print for about $15.88. They even deliver it to your local store for free.

It is sort of a matt photograph print. The colors should look stunning on a photographic print. I am wondering if it would be durable enough, though. I think it might.

Edit: I am thinking of giving it a try. I need to photoshop the map and a few other sheets into a 20" x 30" image.

Take it to Kinkos afterwards and have them laminate it. That will protect the map. See if they have 5 mil plastic instead of 3 mil so its more sturdy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Solamar wrote:

Take it to Kinkos afterwards and have them laminate it. That will protect the map. See if they have 5 mil plastic instead of 3 mil so its more sturdy.
I may try that instead of mounting the image. One thing I have done before is to make laminated things foldable by cutting them on the fold lines, and then laminating them with about 1/4" of space between the cuts so that they fold properly. But then again, that would spoil the map. I need to think about how I want to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool expansions you've also made for it. I'd heard of the Ersatz Relics expansion which is a really great one. But the mining and crew ones I'm not familar with. I really like the mining one and looking forward to the file for the crew one so I can see how it works.

I know how long graphic design takes and I'm amazed at how much you did for this. You must really love this game.

I've been thinking of the building process and the discs will take quite awhile to make. Need to paint them, sticker them, then seal them. And after the spray paint, the discs need to sit out for a few weeks to dry so they don't stick together. Will be very satisfying to finish it though. If I do the full build will post shots when I get done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christopher
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad everyone likes the expansions. I'm trying to work out a way to get the Lost Planet variant to work without me having to alter the board (I promise I will not do that to everyone!).

I had thought of making a seperate small board just for the Lost Planet System, with a wormhole leading to it. I'd replace one of the ? counters with a wormhole (maybe one of the open ports or the relic laser). That way, when the wormhole was discovered it would open up an entrance/exit to the new system.

I had also thought that the new race, The Wraith, should ONLY be located in this new system (i.e. they would not have a randonly distributed IOU, and the culture would be automatically discovered when the system board came into play). This way, we wouldn't have to make a new culture marker, AND I could simply attach the Wraith's market to their board. (Also, thematically, the Wraith just seem to fit this particular system better than the other races).

I got some feedback from Roberto Ullfig (the originator of the idea) and he didn't think that replacing one of the ? markers was a good idea. His response was to place a new wormhole marker on the blue hazard around the supergiant, giving the entrance to the Lost Planet system a fixed location. Of course, since the location would be fixed--it no longer makes sense to have the Wraith culture permanently tied to that particular system.

Another issue is that Roberto assigned the culture a number of 4c. This makes sense because it doesn't really interrupt the flow of the other cultures buying and selling to the three culture numbers before and after. However, thematically--I perversely want to make the Wraith culture 0.

I'd really like everyone's thoughts on this, if you don't mind.

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christopher
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I know how long graphic design takes and I'm amazed at how much you did for this. You must really love this game." (The Quote function isn't working)

Actually, it's time you all knew my dirty little secret: I've never played Merchant of Venus. It was just too ugly--and those horrid little square counters--UGH! My friends took one look at the little baggies of tiny counters and promptly said, "no way"!

I've always wanted to find a solid pick-up-and-deliver game set in outer space, and so Merchant of Venus was a natural attraction to me. I decided to do it as a fun project to keep myself busy over the summer last year. It was a perfect way for me to continue to hone my design skills (which don't see much use in my job anymore). It's been an awesome and rewarding challenge to say the least.

SO--yeah, if I get this all done and my friends and I play the game and we do not like it--I'm going to spontaneously combust.

Making the expansions has actually been pretty fast. I did the ersatz relics and the Mining colony in a day, and another day for the Crew Members variant. It's fun--but I think I'm just delaying the inevitable because I am not looking forward to the grunt work of actually putting this thing together!

"If I do the full build will post shots when I get done."

I can't wait to see how everyone's builds work out! Everyone--post pics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dathkadan wrote:
I'm so glad everyone likes the expansions. I'm trying to work out a way to get the Lost Planet variant to work without me having to alter the board (I promise I will not do that to everyone!).!
I have not printed my board yet, so I almost would not mind having it on the main board, with a dotted line or something so that you knew it was an option that you specify at the beginning of the game.

I will definately post a picture of mine when I get it done. So far, I am still trying to conceive how to put it all together. I need to do some photoshop work on the map, to put the 20" x 20" map together with some of the other pieces to make a 20" x 30" image to print at Walmart. I am thinking of puting some of the markets on the edge if I can fit them somehow, or perhaps some of the player boards which I will cut out later.

Right now, I am trying to count out how many wooden discs I need to order. Is it cheaper if we order a bunch and split the order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Cool expansions you've also made for it. I'd heard of the Ersatz Relics expansion which is a really great one. But the mining and crew ones I'm not familar with.
I pushed to get the Ersatz relics. It helps to balance the "I found it first" element, while making it still worthwhile to find it first - No hold space!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christopher
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:

Right now, I am trying to count out how many wooden discs I need to order. Is it cheaper if we order a bunch and split the order?

There is a quantity discount at caseyswoods.com, but it isn't huge. They're pretty cheap as it is. I've bought tons of cool little wood bits from them--even though I'll probably never use most of them. For MoV, they have everything you'll need: approx. 400-500 3/4 disks, about 50 1-inch disks and 14 1.25-inch discs (1/2 inch thick!) for the culture markers. The whole order should be less than $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow and WOW! Talk about professional quality work...this is simply amazing! Thank you so much for all this work, I'm going to look into seeing what I can do to build this beauty with the care it deserves.

Oh, and funny that you mention your past with the game; while I have played the original way back when (quite a bit actually), my new gaming group raised on more modern designs and component quality have basically said the same as your gaming group when they first saw the game: 'No way!'

They'll certainly change their tune if I can get this built using these components, so thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning before printing. We have found a few errors in the tokens. Michael is working on some updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lewis
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Graphics look awesome, I'm already trying to work out getting it printed.

So, are you going to do up a set of rules using your graphics, or is that going a little far into the realm of copyright issues? I assume that wold also be a lot of typing.

Somehow using the old AH rules with the new graphics just wouldn't feel right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should put a picture of your custom remake stuff in this thread so we don't have to search around for it. That'd be very helpful to those curious, but not so curious as to hunt forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
Warning before printing. We have found a few errors in the tokens. Michael is working on some updates.

The minor errors I saw so far:

MoV Counters 1 (Version 1): There are 5 Megalith Paperweights, not 4

MoV Counters 3 (Version 1): The Fare of 9a -> Base for $120 should be 6 -> 4B $120.

MoV Counters 4 (Version 1): There should be 15 laser. There are only 14. (Yes, Michael, this is in addition to the Relic Laser.)

MoV Counters 4 (Version 1): At the bottom of the raster, the two 210 penalties (in addition to the 210 penalty above) should be two 110 penalties not 210.

I merely mention that so that people who already got the files will know that updates are coming.

Michael: Please give a new version number to the new files so that people know what to look for.

Ah, I see the updates have already been made to counters 1. I will go edit the file comments now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to get a handle on how many disks to order. Here is what I have. Is this correct?

No, I had Factory Goods wrong, and then accidentally deleted the list. Have to recreate it:

Verify No Sheet Size Type
14 14 3 3/4" IOU Markers
14 14 1 3/4" Factory Goods
76 76 1 3/4" Culture Goods (One too many Psychotic Sculpture)
10 10 3 3/4" Bonus Markers: Fares
38 38 3 3/4" Bonus Markers: Demands
36 36 2 3/4" Relics
59 59 3,4 3/4" Equipment
72 72 2 3/4" Spaceport / Factory Markers
58 58 4 3/4" Fort / Rastur
50 7 3/4" Optional: Ersatz Relics
30 8 3/4" Optional: Mines
23 LP 3/4" Optional: Lost Planet
3 3 4 3/4" Spares
483 3/4" TOTAL

14 14 5 1.25" Culture Markers
1 LP 1.25" Optional: Lost Planet
1 LP 1.25" Spares
16 5 1.25" Culture Markers

39 6 1" Deed Cards
12 8 1" Optional: Mines
14 9 1" Optional: Crew
1 LP 1" Optional: Lost Planet
3 4 1" Spares
69 1" TOTAL

Order for 1
Order Need Ea Total Item
500 483 0.028 14.00 3/4"x1/8" Discs
70 69 0.06 4.20 1"x1/8" Discs
16 16 0.10 1.60 1.25"x5/16" Discs
19.80 Total
9.00 Ship
28.80 Grand Total
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christopher
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
I am trying to get a handle on how many disks to order. Here is what I have. Is this correct?

522 3/4" TOTAL

5 14 1.25" Culture Markers

68 1" TOTAL

This looks correct--I never added them all up the way you have (thanks!), but the sizes are definitely correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.