BattleLore» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gain ground, pursuit and terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Moeller
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I had a question about how terrian interacts with movement and combat after the initial combat.

A unit moves into woods during normal movement. The terrain restrictions say that units moving into woods must stop and may move no further that turn. Does this mean that if a unit moves into the woods immediately before combat they may not take advantage of gain-ground/pursuit after combat? Or are follow-on actions seperate from the moves before combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find the bottom of page 2 of this cheat sheet useful:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/22411
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, once a unit enters a wooded hex, it must stop and make no further movement that turn (including gaining ground, or pursuit moves for mounted units) unless forced to retreat on a battle back or the like.

I've always had a question about whether a mounted unit can gain ground onto a fordable river hex and then pursue, or if it must stop upon gaining ground into it. The reference sheet indicates that it would not (which is what I think is the intended ruling) but, if I recall correctly, the rules are a bit ambiguous here, just saying that follow-on actions are allowed. Anyone have a say about that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always treated follow-on actions as a new movement, so if my unit stopped in a forest hex, it could then pursue, but would also have to stop in any forest hexes (so a mounted unit could move into another forest hex, but could not make another move within the pursuit.)

I feel like this was example was also given, either in the manual or on the DoW boards, but I don't recall for sure.

An official ruling on this would be good to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Seelbach
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would like to see an official ruling or FAQ on this because after reading the rules several times it still does not seem clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules. Here is my take. On page 62 of the rule book:

Quote:
Wooded Terrain: MOVEMENT: a unit that moves into a wooded terrain must stop and may move no further that turn. Follow-On moves are subject to the same terrain movement restrictions and may thus be impossible or only partially achievable during this turn.

So, what I read here is this:

a) woods stop a unit from moving (I think we can apply this logic to ALL terrain types that stop a unit from moving).

b) a unit can not gain ground (follow-on move) FROM a woods - hence, the "impossible" comment.

c) a unit that is attempting to PURSUE (pursuit follow-on move) into a woods would be forced to stop - hence, the "partially achievable" statement.

aloha,
Hawaiiirish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Peabody
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If a unit gained ground into a wooded terrain hex, they would have to stop, but if there were a unit adjacent they could still battle. They could not however take advantage of the additional hex pursuit.

That has been my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.