♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Re: Opinions Please
Cannibal Ox wrote:
Kingsburg - Looks interesting to me, but not too sure about the over-inflated price

It is pretty expensive, but it's also a pretty decent game. Have you played Yspahan? If you have, and you liked it, you should give it a shot.

Quote:
Pandemic - I sort of want to try this one, but I'm really competitive when I game so I don't think I'd be able to handle a co-op

I don't understand this comment. Are you saying your non-competitive nature would drag down the others who are trying to win the game? Because there isn't any competition among the players.

EDIT: Never mind. For some reason, I saw a "not" before "competitive" in your comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some great games. If you already know you won't like Imperial then I won't try to convince you. I think Hamburgum is an okay 2nd fiddle (a more typical Euro feeling in comparison to Imperial).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
"Stone Age - Something new and different"

Hey look...another "new and different" worker-placement spreadsheet game!

I'll help you out. You have Puerto Rico? You've covered on spreadsheet games. Skip these others.

Get Pandemic only if you like coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

Stone Age - Haven't played yet.

Cuba - I found this to be a more family accessible PR and better than Pillars of the Earth. It's a good game, solid design.RECOMMENDED

Hamburgum - This one you may want to pass on. LOTS of options, but sometimes it feels like a hodge podge of things going on, and would take someone several playings to really grasp it's essence. A gamers game.

Kingsburg - This on is alright. Think I'd rather play To Court the King myself for the yatzee type dice game. This one seems to add too much chrome for too little meat.

Notre Dame - Great game, subtle and quick play. Easily picked up by anyone. Lots of decisions to be made for a game that runs so quickly. I think it's a staple game. RECOMMENDED

Pillars of the Earth - A good solid game, but like I said above, I think i'd rather play Cuba.

Pandemic - One of the better coop games I've played. I usually pan most coop games for lack of replayability, but pandemic seem to have just enough user interaction and variation to keep it solid for several plays. I would suggest. RECOMMENDED.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:

Kingsburg - I like this game. Its probably at its best with 4 or 5 players. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of choice in the game, but I expect this to change a lot when/if an expansion comes out. I'd hold off on this one for now.

Notre Dame - Fun game. Its a medium weight game, so its best for people that have a bit of gaming experience. Anyone familiar with CCGs will love the card drafting aspect. This is a great game I don't play nearly enough.

Pandemic - I love Pandemic. Really good with 2, 3, or 4 players. This is a great game to play with your significant other. This one is hard to find, but its great and its very reasonably priced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daniels
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
Kingsburg is good - dice make it subject to bad rolls/losing.
Cuba is pretty, but pretty limited in replayability.
Pillars is boring.
Pandemic is good - the only co-op game I own and play.
Notre Dame is good, but kinda light - watch out for the rats.
For a good rondel game, try Antike.
First play of Imperial was confusing, second play the light came on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the following ones and they are all fine games.

Hamburgum - Nicely balanced with the ugliest board I have seen in a long time.

Kingsburg - Most unique mechanics of these 4. There is a multitude of viable strategies.

Notre Dame - Gets over before you have time to do all you want. Good tension.

Pillars of the Earth – This is all about resource competition. Get there first or take what’s left over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, call me what u like, but call me honest...here we go :-)

Stone Age - Something new and different
(i haven't played it, but hear it's a little too light)

Cuba - I already have PR if it makes a difference
(my first game of this was just 'ok', i would try it again)

Hamburgum - Haven't tried a rondel game yet, but have no interest in Imperial
(i played this with 5, and really found it slow and unfun)

Kingsburg - Looks interesting to me, but not too sure about the over-inflated price
(this game i like, i bought it after one play and it has a place in my collection, it's a bit light for my hardgroup though)

Notre Dame - Not sure about this one
(this one isn't bad, it's very much the epitome of multiplayer solitaire though)

Pillars of the Earth - Again not too sure about this one
(Pillars is a good alternative to Caylus. It has some luck, but the game plays quick enough that the luck doesnt matter as much)

Pandemic - I sort of want to try this one, but I'm really competitive when I game so I don't think I'd be able to handle a co-op
(Pandemic is again a quicker version of Shadows over Camelot sans the traitor. i liked the games i played of it, but i pref the traitor aspect)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a downloadable version of Kingsburg available so you can try before you buy.

I think the link is on the entry page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba, Hamburgum and Pandemic!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

Speaking only to the games I've actually played:

CUBA - really liked this; feels like a 'more focused' version of PUERTO RICO, by which I mean it just feels easier to come up with and act on a specific strategy. PR always leaves me feeling a little 'lost in the details'; in CUBA I always felt like I had a solid understanding of what I was doing (and why I was losing).

STONE AGE - I like it a lot, but suspect it won't get the credit it's due around here because there's a lot of random elements; I personally feel a) chance is a part of life b) the game offers many ways to mitigate the luck in your favor. Overall, like I said, I liked it a lot and it's definitely fairly different from anything else out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Notre Dame once but I would consider In The Year Of The Dragon (same designer) instead (even though I've only played that one once as well.)

Kingsburg - I own this. My wife likes it which is a plus. Easy to learn & play. I think it kinda drags toward the end. Maybe even a little light for me over all. People compare it to Yatzee which I haven't played since I was ten and wasn't crazy about even then... in my opinion this is much, much better than Yatzee, barely comparible... not that that's any glowing achievement.

Pandemic - Possibly the best coop game I've played. Simple, elegant mechanics which fit the theme really well, and playing time seems just right. I will get this when it becomes available again. Not a particularly deep game.

All that being said, I'm not sure either Kingsburg or Pandemic are the most fun games on your list, but they both definitely fill different niches than the other titles.

For me the question is: do you get Pillars, Hamburgum, or Cuba? Or say screw it and go for the lighter Stone Age? Of those games I've only played Pillars, which I liked the best out of the games I have played (maybe not as much as In The Year Of The Dragon, which again, I would recommend over Notre Dame.)

Hm. Just read this over... it's probably not too helpful. Sorry. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Year of the Dragon is an excellent game, and often referred to as similar but better than Notre Dame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you listed Stone Age my first thought was Settlers of the Stone Age.

I didn't even know that Stone Age existed--I'll have to check it out--but I absolutely love kiss Settlers of the Stone Age. Even when we played it four times in a row one night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Stone Age - This feels like a very mechanical game. The core mechanism is straightforward and you do it a lot. That said, it feels like a well-oiled mechanism so I like it. There is definitely competition here, but it is more about who gets to an area first, so it may not be to your taste.

Cuba - I haven't played since the prototype, for which I was disappointed. That said, there were a number of changes and I intend to try it again. If you like PR, it scratches the same itch in a different way.

Hamburgum - I really liked Hamburgum at first but our group has grown sort of bored with it. I don't think it has legs as much as others.

Kingsburg - Definitely play through the java version.

Notre Dame - I like this one a fair bit, but the competition here is very indirect, so if that's important to you, you may not like it.

Pillars of the Earth - I couldn't stand this game. Yes, I'm one of the few.

Pandemic - This is a great game. It's weird that a cooperative game can feel competitive if you play it at the hardest difficulty as you try to beat the game. I think you might like this one.

Also - If you don't have Brass yet, that's one to look for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Jester wrote:

Stone Age - This feels like a very mechanical game. The core mechanism is straightforward and you do it a lot. That said, it feels like a well-oiled mechanism so I like it. There is definitely competition here, but it is more about who gets to an area first, so it may not be to your taste.

I'm not some kind of STONE AGE expert, and I don't mean to come across as defensive, but I do think it's worth pointing out that

- That's true to a certain extent with PUERTO RICO as well
- Like PUERTO RICO, turn order is rotated each round in order to mitigate it
- Like PUERTO RICO, there's usually more than one "prime selection", so whoever goes first gets to agonize over which is better for them

which is to say while I understand what you mean and agree to some extent, all in all, it didn't seem that bad in that regard imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
The only must have game on your list is Pandemic. I am very competive, but I enjoy this one tremendously. It is tense, interesting, and most of all fun. It is a co-op that works; something that SoC I found did not do. There's a lot of meat on its bones and the replay factor is through the roof.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Cannibal Ox wrote:

Any comments? What other games am I missing?

Based on the comments and ratings in your "Games Owned" file, I think you might want to think over:

KEYTHEDRAL: Solid PILLARS/CAYLUS-type gameplay, with a bit of SETTLERS thrown in.

MAHARAJA: PALACE BUILDING IN INDIA: Wonderfully elegant combination of influence, resource management, and role selection. So smooth and likeable it hurts; if it were a woman I'd be trying to date it.

TICKET TO RIDE: MARKLIN: You rate the original pretty highly; this one's my favorite of the lot because it makes the game much more strategic.

BLUE MOON CITY: Like MAHARAJA, but simpler and without the role selection.

Huh?

They've all been around for while, you say?

Hey, you asked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.