United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the benefits of sharing an alternate work schedule with a fellow gamer should be extensive gaming on the every other Friday you have off, but for the first time in many years, VuduJoie and I squared off on our day off for a few games, beginning with the Crimissos River scenario for C&C:A.

I took the forces of Carthage that were marching across the river when the forces of Syracuse, led by VuduJoie, caught the army as it was halfway across the river. For Carthage, the heavy troops and heavy chariot have crossed the river while the Syracuse forces have heavies throughout the middle of their forces. Victory conditions were to take five flags from one's opponent. Appraising the situation, I thought the easiest way to do that would be to strike at the less-heavy troops on the far sides of the Syracuse force. On my first turn, I moved my commander, chariot, and heavy to do just that. VuduJoie looked at the forces trapped on the same side of the river as his forces and seemed to decide that taking them out was the closest road to victory. Both forces road at each other with confidence of imminent victory.

The forces of Carthage had with them the Sacred Band, a section of heavy troops that acted as though they had a commander with them at all times, which made them devastating in close combat. And VuduJoie and I had a chance to see this as in one roll of five dice, there were enough swords, helmets, and red dice to remove all of the heavies in one of his units. The chariots had similar luck with another unit, and my other unit of heavies, supported by their commander, took out a third.

Historically, the Syracuse force took apart the Carthaginians, but VuduJoie was not happy with the initial clash. He started moving his forces to work on the less heavy forces crossing the river. I tried to counter, but it would take a few cards to have my heavies catch up.

On the river, missile combat ensued, taking out one of my light troops. I backed away from the river in hopes that the Syracuse forces would try to cross and I would be able to take advantage of their being in the river to pound them mercilessly. While I was contemplating this, however, the cards showed up in my hands to not only move the heavies closer to the middle, but also to use a +2 dice for every group in close combat. I quickly secured the last two troops and won by a score of 5 flags to 1.

VuduJoie had horrible dice and his cards were against him in a big way. I had the opposite situation and was able to make the most of the situation. We decided to set up and try another game of C&C:A!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.