United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
My nephew visited for the weekend, and he is my favorite nephew for many reasons. Not least of which is that he loves to game with his uncle. We pulled out Twilight Struggle and, to give him a positive experience with the game, I gamely took the United States. Little did I know how good he would be at this game on his first trip out, or I might have let him run the Americans.

I explained to him that the scoring would occur in Europe, the Mideast, and in Asia in the early war, that the rest of the scoring would come out in the mid war, and that all of the scoring cards (except South East Asia) would be available throughout the rest of the game. We dealt our cards and began out build up.

I was able to quickly get domination of the Mid East while he went very strong in Europe and stronger than I was in Asia. Despite my having control of Japan and working my chain of influence through Pakistan and India, my nephew picked up the cards that gave him the four influence in Asia, and he used them to good effect. We did not have too many coups and no realignment rolls.

In the first hand, we had no scoring cards. In the second hand I was surprised not to be dealt any scoring cards, but I did have CIA Formed, so I viewed my nephew's hand... and he did not have any scoring cards either. It was not until turn three that we scored the Mid East, Asia, and Europe, and it was a miracle that I did not lose the game due to victory points. Only scoring the Middle East saved me.

When we got to mid war, we added those cards beneath the remaining shuffled cards, which meant that we would not see Europe, Asia, or the Mid East for quite some time. Still, our battle continued in Europe. He essentially controlled all of Europe and I would work to get back one battleground state (Italy). I did manage to get South America to score for six points, but we needed to call the game when guests began to arrive for a family dinner.

My nephew on his first game had a clear grasp of the strategy. He is uncannily good at card driven war games, which I am very excited about because I like playing them as well and I think the historical games will give him a better perspective on history when he studies these periods in school.

I will be sure to record his progress as time goes by. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Rob. Your nephew is pretty smart!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Olsson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
It embarrasses me how smart he is at games that I work to understand. I suppose I cannot rely on old age and treachery to help me defeat him for long. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brewster
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
raolsson wrote:
When we got to mid war, we added those cards beneath the remaining shuffled cards, which meant that we would not see Europe, Asia, or the Mid East for quite some time.

Hi, nice report. I believe you are supposed to shuffle the midwar and early war cards together, to get a nice mix of early and midwar on turn 4.

I can't wait to be able to play this with my boy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.