Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In Strat-O-Matic (SOM) Baseball, the various outcomes all have a field position attached, such as fly out - centrefield or single two star - left field. This is very important because you have to know what fielder's card to consult in the case of further action, such as stretching a single into a double.

I have looked at a bunch of web sites that have baseball statistics. I have found some that are extremely detailed. But, none of them have statistics by fielder. For example, for some player's batting record there will be a statistic for singles but not divided by how the single was earned.

Is SOM just randomly assigning field positions or is this information kept in some record of the games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has nothing to do with SOM, but have you seen www.retrosheet.org? They're actually making digital versions of scorecards - where balls were hit, the pitch sequence of every at-bat...you name it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that SOM uses standard distributions based on whether a hitter is righthanded or lefthanded. I do not believe that they use personal distributions for each batter.

They do exist, though. There is an annual book called "Graphical Player XXXX" (where XXXX is the year). It has charts for every player that shows where each batted fair ball was hit by that player. Homers are specially designated. The charts are small enough that you cannot identify every ball,but it does show trends in that you can see the grouping. You can tell at a glance whether a hitter is a pull hitter or spray hitter and whether his power is down the lines, in the gaps or more than average to the opposite field.

I'm also pretty sure that I have seen the same data online, but I can't remember where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, the data must be recorded initially. I wonder who is hanging on to it? I'll keep looking then.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, I don't know why I didn't think about it before. I went to the horse's mouth, MLB's website. They have a new stats section. It's got everything. Wow! Paul, they even have the diagrams you were talking about.

So, where a ball fell is maintained. You also see it in the game recap pages. But, I did not see any summary stats with respect to where a ball fell.

Now I'm off to see if there is public access to the data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.