Popular Tags: [View All]
Red Dragon
United States
Willows
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules of Fluxx allow players to join a game by walking up, drawing three cards off the top of the deck, and taking their turn when it comes around to them. At a recent games day, I had just finished another game and was looking around the room when three people playing Fluxx invited me to join. I like playing Fluxx, so I took three cards and sat down at the table. The person to my right finished his turn, and I started mine.

The rules currently in effect were Draw 4, Play 2, some Keeper Limit rule (maybe 3), and Inflation. The "Inflation" rule, for those who don't know it, adds 1 to EVERY number given as a digit in EVERY other rule or Action or event. So I started my turn by drawing 5 cards, and among the 8 cards I held, I could play 3 of them.

Some people think there's no strategy in Fluxx. NOT TRUE AT ALL. Those people probably just throw down a few cards until they've reached the Play limit, then sit back and watch someone else play. The golden strategy in Fluxx is to NEVER end your turn if there's ANYTHING you can play to keep it going.

I didn't see any way to win immediately, since I had no keepers on the table, no goal matching the keeper I held in my hand, and not enough plays (only 3) to change the goal and get and play more keepers. So the first card I played was the "Take another turn" action. That guaranteed that even if I was forced to end my turn, I would immediately get another one.

It would be a waste of a turn to just play down a keeper and go on to my second turn. The golden strategy is to NEVER end your turn if you can keep it going! The second card I played was a "Draw 3, Play 2 of them" action. Inflation made it "Draw 4, Play 3 of them" basically doubling the cards I could play that turn.

Among the four cards I could pick 3 from, I was delighted to find a "Play ALL" rule, which I immediately slammed down. NOW I could play EVERY card in my hand without ending my turn! For the second card of three, I chose a Hand Limit of 2. Everyone groaned and threw out cards to keep 3, except me, because my turn was in progress. The last of three cards I picked was an action that let me draw 2 (i.e. 3) cards from the deck. Unfortunately, the extra cards set me up in a very bad situation. Now I was holding a "Milk and Cookies" goal, and another player had Milk and Cookies keepers on the table. With the "Play ALL" in effect, I might be forced to play that goal, and that player would win.

I tried two cards as a defensive measure. I played my only keeper, a TV keeper, then "Shuffle Keepers" action. We threw the three keepers in a pile, and a neutral player shuffled them and dealt them back out. I still had TV, the other player still had Milk and Cookies, and I still held the Milk and Cookies goal in my hand with Play ALL still in effect. They would win before I even got my second turn. Ulp.

Since the cards in my hand didn't help me win or extend my turn, even though I could play all of them, I needed to get more cards into my hand. In desperation I played "Draw 5" and Inflation made it a Draw 6, and since I had only drawn 5 cards at the start of my turn, I drew another card. It was a "Taxation" card. Fantastic!

I played the "Taxation" action. For those not familiar with it, says every other player has to give you "1" card. Inflation made it "2" so I got SIX more cards to work with (and wiped the other players all out to a single card left, which was fun). But the cards I got still didn't let me win, or let me avoid playing the goal that would make the other player win.

I put down three keepers while I was thinking about what else I should do. None of the five goals I held matched any combination of the four keepers I had on the table. Shucks. Since there was no point in playing them, I held onto them.

Nothing I held did me any good. So in desperation I played the "Pandora's Box" action that somone had given me. For those who don't know it, it says to run through the deck drawing and discarding cards until you've turned up "4" New Rules, which take effect. While flipping through the deck looking for new rules, a couple of goals came up and got discarded that matched my keepers. Drat. Inflation made it FIVE new rules before stopping.

One was a Keeper Limit of 4, that didn't affect anyone.

Another was the "Border's Rule". The Border's Rule is that if you're playing in a public area, whenever someone comes up and asks about the game, all players get to draw 1 card. Inflation would make it 2, and I needed those 2 cards, so I called out "Hey! We're playing Fluxx over here!" but no one came up and asked about the game, so I didn't get the cards. Shucks.

One was the "First Play Random" that forces the first card played on anyone's turn to be drawn at random by another player (unless the rule was to play only one card, in which case the player gets to pick).

One of them was the "Rich Bonus" rule so whoever had the most keepers would draw "1" extra card at the beginning of their turn.

And to my utter relief, the LAST of them was a "Play 2" rule. Even with Inflation, I had already played at least 3 cards (ten in fact, with the seven cards played within the "Draw 3, Play 2" and the "Pandora's Box" actions not counting against the limit), so I ended my (first) turn without having to play the deadly goal. With the Hand Limit in effect, I threw out the Milk and Cookies goal, discarding it last so the player who had those keepers could see it.
devil

Since I now had the most keepers, the Rich Bonus applied to me. At the start of my second turn (from the first card I had played, giving me an extra turn), I drew 5 for the Draw 5, 1 for Inflation, 1 for Rich Bonus, and 1 for Inflation, for a total draw of 8 cards. The player to my left drew a card and I had to play it. I don't remember what it was, since it didn't affect anything. After a brief time studying my remaining cards, I put down another keeper and the "Five Keepers" goal (either of which may have been the 8th card drawn) and won on my first turn. Ok, technically on my second turn.

I compare Fluxx to a canoe race through whitewater rapids. Either you love it, or you never want to do THAT again. I'm one of those who love it, and this particular turn is a shining example of why. A player who thinks there's no strategy in Fluxx would have never found the way to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luk
Belgium
Mechelen
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session, excellent report. Exactly the reason why I adore Fluxx too.

I've never thought of the strategy "never finish your turn" but I think it is what we are doing all the time. It's good to see that other people enjoy Fluxx too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I haven't played Fluxx in a long time and this makes me want to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Dragon wrote:
Some people think there's no strategy in Fluxx. NOT TRUE AT ALL.

Preachin' to the choir, brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm… Take another turn means you get to finish the current one before you get your next turn? If I remember correctly, that card forces you to take another turn as soon as you play it. Do I have a bad memory?

The standard way to win Fluxx in one go is "play 3+", "Keeper: Love", "Goal: All you need is love". I love that one. And it's happened twice during all my sessions of Fluxx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent session report!

Cool game, and well-written report. Thanks especially for explaining the cards as you went as it's been a while since I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best example of FLUXX strategy I've seen.

If you know the cards, this kind of stuff is not only possible, it's how good players approach the game. If you don't know the cards, FLUXX is totally random and you'll never get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Kilsyth
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
Best example of FLUXX strategy I've seen.

If you know the cards, this kind of stuff is not only possible, it's how good players approach the game. If you don't know the cards, FLUXX is totally random and you'll never get it.

This session report and this comment make me want to try Fluxx now!robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Rodrick
United States
Sycamore
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx was the first game I bought after being reintroduced to boardgaming.
This is why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Hm… Take another turn means you get to finish the current one before you get your next turn? If I remember correctly, that card forces you to take another turn as soon as you play it. Do I have a bad memory?

The standard way to win Fluxx in one go is "play 3+", "Keeper: Love", "Goal: All you need is love". I love that one. And it's happened twice during all my sessions of Fluxx.

Take another turn allows you to start another COMPLETE turn once your current turn is finished.

So if the current rules are: Draw 4, Play 2.

You would Draw 4 and keep going until you have played 2 cards. You must play a 2nd card to end your 1st turn. If one of those 2 cards you played was "Take another turn", You would then draw 4 more cards to start your 2nd turn and then have to play 2 more.

Remember that any effects of a card you play like "Draw 2 and Play 'em" don't count as one of your original 2 "plays" - only the card itself counts as a play. This is what typically confuses a lot of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Dragon
United States
Willows
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

One I like even better, that happened the same day as this session, is "Steal a Keeper" (take the other player's Love), "Goal: All you need is Love".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Kallenbach
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a five-person game of Fluxx in which only two players got a turn. The third player won on his first turn. I believe that several of the players of that particular game of Fluxx have never played the game since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A second game should have been started seconds later, with those two players going first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's "strategy" to keep digging through the deck looking for a win. Your example illustrates exactly what's so very wrong about playing Fluxx at all. on the up side, you're winning in one turn means the game didn't take 2 hours to play. When I've played Fluxx, sometimes we go on for a very long time before someone miraculously plays out their hand or draws the deck and eventually wins.

Fluxx has very little to do with skill, and borders on defying the very definition of a game... the decisions you make are either forced or obvious.

If you're looking for a game, Fluxx is miserable. If you're looking for something else to pass the time that is not a game, then perhaps you'll enjoy flipping cards over and seeing if you "win".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

If you're looking for a game, Fluxx is miserable. If you're looking for something else to pass the time that is not a game, then perhaps you'll enjoy flipping cards over and seeing if you "win".

As the original story illustrates, however, there are choices. And the choices effect whether you win or lose.

"Never end your turn" is a nice way of putting the strategy is Fluxx. Myself, I think of it as "See as many cards as you can"-- Cycle as many cards as possible through your hand, so that your chances of having a winning combo increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:

As the original story illustrates, however, there are choices. And the choices effect whether you win or lose.

"Never end your turn" is a nice way of putting the strategy is Fluxx. Myself, I think of it as "See as many cards as you can"-- Cycle as many cards as possible through your hand, so that your chances of having a winning combo increase.

Yes, it has choices. Choices which, as stated in the part you didn't quote, are either forced or obvious.

"Never end your turn" doesn't count as inobvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.