Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Start player marker question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do with the starting player marker if noone chooses the start player action?

The rules state that the marker does not automatically pass on to the next player, but rather to the player who chose the "Start player" action. However, I cannot find anything about the case where noone chose this action - does one get to keep it as long as someone else doesn't claim it or does it get passed on? I can find valid arguments for both of these cases, and rereading the rules doesn't clarify the issue.

Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If nobody takes the start player action then whoever already has it gets to keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely keep the marker until someone else choosing the action which entitles them to take it from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A new question on the start player action. This seems a bit counter-intuitive but follwing the rules makes sense.

When someone take the start player action" do they immediately becomet he start player or does it only take effect in the next round? Most games, start player doesn't take effect until the beginning of the next round. But Agricola gives you the benefit immediately in all other categories.

What feels wrong about playing this way in a 2-player game is that the person that grabs the start player token seems to get 2 actions back to back (if they have family left). Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Casey
United Kingdom
Caversham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Where'd he go?
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that the marker moves immediately... but the play order doesnt, so the benefit of being first player doesnt kick in until the next round. Not 100% sure this is right, but it seems right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bracey
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting player marker only moves when the Starting Player action is taken. And it only controls who is first to play in a Work Phase, so the turn order of the current round is not affected - play proceeds clockwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That sounds better. Is there something specific in the rules that states this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
waferthinninja wrote:
We play that the marker moves immediately... but the play order doesnt, so the benefit of being first player doesnt kick in until the next round. Not 100% sure this is right, but it seems right to me.

This is not correct according to the rules.

From page 3 of the Agricola Rules (English) in the 'Starting Player' section wrote:
The Starting player marker is not automatically passed on to the next player at the end of a round: it passes to the player who chooses the "Starting player" action.

According to the rules (quoted above), the starting player marker only moves when a player chooses the "starting player" action.

Therefore, if no player ever chooses the "starting player" action, then the player who started the game with the marker will keep it for the entire game.

Edit: Retracted statement due to my misunderstanding of waferthinninja's statement. I incorrectly interpreted waferthinninja's post as addressing the original poster when instead his post was addressing ColtsFan76's question. Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ladislaus wrote:
Therefore, if no player ever chooses the "starting player" action, then the player who started the game with the marker will keep it for the entire game.

That's not my question and so I don't think that is what James is saying. I realize, and it appears he does as well, that if no one selects the start player token, the person first selected will remain the start player for the balance of the game.

The question I have is when you DO take the Start player token, when does it take effect? Immediately? Or at the start of the next round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't actually say in the rules...

We play so that you only look at who has the Conch starting player token at the START of each turn. In other words, taking Start Player doesn't affect anything until next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Keiner
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You take the starting-player-token immediately when you choose the action.
Nothing more happens.
Then, when a new round is starting, you have a fast look, who got the token and then it does take effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting player is the player who plays first in a particular round (barring exceptions from cards).

The current turn continues as usual. The new starting player then starts the next round (and any subsequent rounds, until the starting player token is taken).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bracey
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really understand the confusion. It is the "starting player" marker. It indicates who is the starting player - ie the player who places the first person.

If you're in the middle of the round, you're not starting, are you? So why would it matter that someone different has become the starting player? You're in the middle of a the work phase, and players are taking turns clockwise.

There's nothing suggesting that the round gets restarted or reset in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
That's not my question and so I don't think that is what James is saying. I realize, and it appears he does as well, that if no one selects the start player token, the person first selected will remain the start player for the balance of the game.

The question I have is when you DO take the Start player token, when does it take effect? Immediately? Or at the start of the next round?

ColtsFan76: My response was not an attempt to answer your question. I quoted the rules in order to completely answer the question posed by the original poster. I apologize if my post was not clear on this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Kevin Bracey wrote:
There's nothing suggesting that the round gets restarted or reset in any way.

And there's nothing to suggest otherwise. Which is why I asked. Like I said, most worker placement games have you take resources/actions after everything is placed so when the start player changes it's a moot point. In Agricola, you take the stuff immediately, so it threw us. It was more pronounced since we have only played 2-player game and we were both unsure if we should get a double-turn when we selected it.

But the question has been answered. No point driving it any further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ladislaus wrote:
ColtsFan76: My response was not an attempt to answer your question. I quoted the rules in order to completely answer the question posed by the original poster. I apologize if my post was not clear on this point.

Oh, that question was already answered. I just tagged on to this one because it was the one that kep coming up when I did a search. I didn't want to start another new Agricola thread.

Anyway, I think waferthinnija was answering me and not the OP. So given that context, his answer wasn't wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.