Subject: Update your BGG profile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb

I find that one of the first places I go to on the BGG website, after logging on, is my Profile page.
Sure, sometimes a hot Geeklist Topic on the home page catches my eye and I want to peek at that. But if I’m headed to the site for a specific reason, I don’t want to get too distracted by Geeklists or I may never get offline.

Once I had my profile page set up, with all of the games in my collection listed and ranked, and with the images that I liked associated with each one, I found that it was a very colorful page- and a very friendly one. It was like looking into my games closet, except that I could see the fronts of all of the boxes instead of just the ends.

After my most recent trip to My Geek/ Profile, I clicked on a game image (Brewmaster, as it turns out) in order to record the fact that I played it with a group of buddies on the night previous.
It’s been a long time between plays, and I was rather surprised to see that I had ranked it “8” out of 10.
Wow! It must be a fabulous game!
Well, when I first bought it I was enthused. A beer-themed board game; a match made in heaven, in my world. Did I enjoy playing it? You bet I did. I get misty just thinking about the exotic yeasts and hop varieties, and I try to imagine what beers I’ve drank that might match what I’m “brewing” during the game.
But now, many plays later, it’s lost a bit of its original lustre.
Brewmaster is essentially “Rummy” with a theme. A good theme, but it’s not a real mind-bender of a game or one to get lost in. Unless you’re drinking at the time.

And so, after recording that I’d played it, I stared for a long time at the “8”. Did I really still love the game that much?

I went back to my Profile page and looked at the graph showing my ranking distribution.
Fifty-three games in the collection. Nine of them ranked “8”, one of them ranked “9”, three of them ranked “10”. Average ranking: 6.69
Of my entire collection, the bulk- 35%- were rated “7”, while only 17%- basically half as many- were ranked “8”. Going down the ranks, the remaining 40% or so of games were in the “4” to “6” range, tending to split between those two numbers (not many “5”s in my rankings).

So the question remained: should Brewmaster really be an “8”? I reconsidered and decided that it belonged in the “7”s. I can see problems with the game now that weren’t apparent initially. I changed the ranking and submitted it. Profile updated.

And I got to thinking, how many other games do I have that I would rank differently now?

I only have one “9” out of 10, and I couldn’t say for sure which one that was. And why was it “9”, and not “10” I clicked on it; it was Trivial Pursuit.
OK, definitely not a “10”, but a classic nonetheless. And if you’re good at a game, you’re going to score it higher. My wife would probably rank Trivial Pursuit at about a 5 or 6, just because of the frustration occurring when we play (“How the HELL did you know that???!!).
A “9” though? Really?

How many Geeks out there bought Puerto Rico, based on the fact that it was (is) ranked #1 on the Geek game list? How many ranked it “8”, “9” or “10” after one play? How many would knock that rating down, even by one place, after ten plays? Or, even, bump it up by one after playing a game where “the light came on” and you finally “got it”.
How many Geeks actually went into their account and did change their ranking?
That #1 ranking certainly played a factor in my decision, I’ll admit, but I held it and read the box and put it back onto the shelf at the games store three or four times before I actually took the plunge. The high ranking was comforting, and I figured that in the worst case, I wouldn’t hate it. And, of course, I didn’t.
I do enjoy playing it, and I’ll probably always be “up” for a game of it, but I’ve ranked it a “7”, behind its close relative San Juan, which I find more engaging. It’s not #1 on my list.

Enough rambling- you can tell from the title of my topic what I want you to do. Revisit those games and their rankings. Question those high marks. A “10” is perfection. Can’t improve it in any way. Should we ever have a game rated “10”?
Play that game that you’ve ranked as a “4” and see if you still dislike it as much as you did when you ranked it. Try it with a different group of people; re-read the rules and see if you completely missed some nuance.

I rescued one game from the “4” group when I recently played it because my niece and nephew were visiting and chose it from the closet. I could see that it was easy to teach, and the very thing that I disliked about it originally- the fact that you either won the game or were agonizingly close to winning; every time- was a perfect one for playing with kids. And we had a blast, playing it six times in a row.

The game was Transamerica, and it is now ranked as a “6” in My (updated) Geek Profile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
The amazing thing to me is that you view your games with thumbnail images. If I did that, it would take forever for the page to load.

But in answer to your plea, I do change ratings from time to time. In fact, just today I upped my rating for The Hanging Gardens because we've played it so much that it deserved more than a 7.0 (upped it to 7.65, I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory G
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not been a BGG user for a long time, but I am always adjusting my ratings. As I play a game and the luster wears off it gets a lower rating. Some games I still like the same after many plays.

I do like to adjust the ratings based on my current liking. Mostly because when a new game comes out, before you get bored of it, you will likely rate it higher than later when you've played it for a while and the luster has worn off.

sorry for the ramblings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to revisit my rating of a game every time I play it. I don't change it anywhere near that often, but I do think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I read somewhere that someone revised their ratings so they showed the changes over time.

I thought this was interesting as it showed how opinions can change from the initial experiences and onwards as you play the game more often.

For example... you might initially think a game was a 7 and then like it more and raise it to a 8 and then grow to like even more and rate it a 9 and eventually see it fall to a 7 and then a 6 as you grow tired of it and the game becomes more repetitive.

You'd indicate that by having a rating such as 6.07080907 which always show the current rating in front with the progression of historical ratings afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Enough rambling- you can tell from the title of my topic what I want you to do. Revisit those games and their rankings. Question those high marks. A “10” is perfection. Can’t improve it in any way. Should we ever have a game rated “10”?

Play that game that you’ve ranked as a “4” and see if you still dislike it as much as you did when you ranked it. Try it with a different group of people; re-read the rules and see if you completely missed some nuance.

Quick note - 10 is not "perfection" if you use the BGG scale. It is " Outstanding, I am always willing to play this game and don't see this changing in the future". I have several 10's in my ratings. And I stand by them. I don't claim they are perfect games. I claim, that barring the choice of this "10" game or that "10" game, I can't imagine turning down a chance to play one of these nor do I think this will change in the future.

I also almost never change my ratings. Because I rarely rate games I haven't play/thought about enough to have a stable opinion of. If you read though my ratings you will see a few with comments saying I have only played once or twice and thus this rating might change with time. But overall, if I have bothered to rate it, that rating is probably an accurate and stable view of my feelings toward the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.