Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Fjords, but the four player option of Taluva is nice. Does this game render Fjords obsolete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut instinct is no. I think Taluva is a little bit heavier than Fjords. The added spatial thinking necessary with the stacking of the tiles takes a bit more thought than the relatively simple claiming of territory in Fjords, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I think they're different enough to warrant purchasing them both. Taluva is much tougher, especially when you add the 3rd player in to the mix. Fjords is like Taluva-Lite and only for 2-players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I find Taluva awesome with 3-4 players, but just decent with 2 players. With only 2 people there isn't enough competition over land, it's too easy to spread out to new areas. I think Fjords is a better game for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

I agree with the running opinion here that no, Taluva does NOT render Fjords obsolete. They are very much their own games.

Based on your positive opinion of these two games, I would also suggest that you might check out:

Patrician. This game plays well with 2 and can go as high as 5. Each player added beyond 2 adds just a bit more chaos to the feel, but not too bad.

Clans. Great little game that scales extremely well from 2-4.

Good luck and happy gaming.

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Clans and enjoyed it, but sadly I was the only one who seemed to enjoy it, so I traded it for a new copy of Torres, which I then sold and used to buy something else...

I will check out Patrician, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Fjords is great in a coffee shop or lunch place. Very light and accessible to new players. Taluva is a step up in complexity that likely won't break the ice nearly as well.

Fjords isn't a must-buy for me, but a nice game for more casual play. A good gift for non-gamers.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
To me Fjords has a much bigger element of luck. It's a cute and fast little game, but Taluva is vastly superior - for any amount of players.

I suggest you get both games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them both a lot, enough that they're both in my top 10.

They feel different. Even though I personally would play either one in similar situations, my opponents do not think the same. My wife likes Fjords a lot, but she can't wrap her head around the stacking in Taluva. Others I have played with have made similar comments. The vertical spacial aspects of Taluva can make it much harder to see and grasp than Fjords for some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike A wrote:

They feel different. Even though I personally would play either one in similar situations, my opponents do not think the same. My wife likes Fjords a lot, but she can't wrap her head around the stacking in Taluva. Others I have played with have made similar comments. The vertical spacial aspects of Taluva can make it much harder to see and grasp than Fjords for some.

Hey, Fjords is in your top ten and you have a BYU microbadge--welcome to my geekbuddy list!

Geekbuddies are awesome--you don't even have to help each other move!

I've got Fjords btw. I even bought a second set so I could make mega-fjords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
craniac wrote:

Just like me with Taluva! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
craniac wrote:

Just like me with Taluva! :meeple:

Megaluva!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
Mike A wrote:

Hey, Fjords is in your top ten and you have a BYU microbadge--welcome to my geekbuddy list!

Geekbuddies are awesome--you don't even have to help each other move!

Not only do I have a BYU microbadge, but I created it. It's one of my few microbadges I made because a need was there.

If I ever decide to move to Orem, I'll make sure to look you up for help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quartex wrote:
With only 2 people there isn't enough competition over land, it's too easy to spread out to new areas.

If you play it like other Euros, then yes, but if you play it aggressively and stop your opponent from expanding, then it is incredibly tight and competetive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Fjords? If Taluva replaces something, Java looks like the more obvious candidate to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.