Subject: How is this with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C A
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
There's several comments about it with 3-4 players, which makes sense since its supposed to be like Lost Cities for more than 2. But by the same token, its Lost Cities based. So how does it play with 2? I like the theme (or lack thereof) better than LC and would get it to replace LC in my collection if its as good with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lifepawn wrote:
There's several comments about it with 3-4 players, which makes sense since its supposed to be like Lost Cities for more than 2. But by the same token, its Lost Cities based. So how does it play with 2? I like the theme (or lack thereof) better than LC and would get it to replace LC in my collection if its as good with 2.

I think by the time this is released in English it will be named "Lost Cities: The Board Game". Perhaps that answers the question although maybe there are a few rule changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope its definately different. I don't really want more of the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Morris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
This size viola da gamba is like a cello with frets. I started playing at age 48.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this three times with 2 players and really enjoyed it. The rules say to discard 30 cards from the (double) deck when playing with two. This adds a bit of randomness and also helps the timing of card exhaustion more closely match the second game ending condition (any 5 pawns on the top circle). The ability to play cards in either ascending or descending order makes almost any starting hand potentially valuable. Since you can start with a 10 (and work your way down to 0, even using duplicate cards if you play them in succession), the only type of hand that is really frustrating is all "middle" cards, say fours to sixes in each color. The tiles on the board which give you an extra move also can be used to move up a piece for which you have not drawn suitable cards. Since only the count of cards moves the pieces and the numbers on the cards don't score directly, a "low hand" or "high hand" does not create the problems it can in Lost Cities. Keltis doesn't replace its predecessor, but I think it is of similar quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Lundgaard
Denmark
Hvidovre
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I bought the game in Berlin last week and played it 8 times during the my weekend stay with a non-boardgamer friend of mine. And it worked very well and we had good fun. The mechanic with picking up discarded cards never got into play in any of the 8 games we played (it was always possible to discard something the other player couldnt use), but expect this to be a mechanic designed for the 3-4 player game.

The random setup of the stones really is a win for the game since it makes for a nice variation between each game. And then game plays very fast in a 2 player set - I think some of our last games were below 15 minutes.

So: A good 2 player game - though in 2 player it feels very similar to Lost Cities

Im looking forward to try the game with 4 players :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.