Borderlands» Forums » Variants

Subject: Borderlands on a Risk board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
I recently picked up an early copy of Risk, one with the happy whale on the map up by Greenland.

My Risk-playing days are over. But it seems a shame to let this charming map board go unused. Could Borderlands be played on it? Naturally, additonal bits would be necessary. But I'm not opposed to desecrating the Risk board with stickers or Sharpies. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
My Risk-playing days are over. But it seems a shame to let this charming map board go unused. Could Borderlands be played on it? Naturally, additonal bits would be necessary. But I'm not opposed to desecrating the Risk board with stickers or Sharpies. Any thoughts?

Lords of Conquest allowed custom maps, and it worked pretty well. But LoC dropped the riverboat/ship distinction, and you'll probably want to do that too.

I suggest that as a starting point you read the variant rules for Medieval Borderlands. Those pages are no longer available from their original site, but you can still find them via the Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060302040844/http://rockford.com/donhesso/MedBLand/MedBLand.html

Be sure to let us know how your adaptation works out.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Following up on my own post. The 2-4 player Borderlands map has 36 regions. The Risk map has 42. However, the tiny islands of Iceland, Madagascar, and Japan could be ignored. Likewise, the conveniently detached three Australian regions of New Guinea, E. Australia, and W. Australia could also easily be disregarded. That leaves a total of 36 Risk regions, same as in Borderlands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
ddubin wrote:

Lords of Conquest allowed custom maps, and it worked pretty well. But LoC dropped the riverboat/ship distinction, and you'll probably want to do that too.

I suggest that as a starting point you read the variant rules for Medieval Borderlands.

Thanks for the link, Dave. I should probably mention now that I've yet to play Borderlands in its aboriginal form. It's been on my DIY list for some time, however. So I'm approaching this idea from a state of pure ignorance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Thanks for the link, Dave. I should probably mention now that I've yet to play Borderlands in its aboriginal form. It's been on my DIY list for some time, however. So I'm approaching this idea from a state of pure ignorance.

Sure, so maybe try the standard map first. Or not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
ddubin wrote:

Sure, so maybe try the standard map first. Or not!

I dabbled a bit with the Lords of Conquest program. Seeing that it creates randomized maps makes me think my Risk board idea might have promise. I'll make up a set of tokens and give it a whirl the next chance I get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... based on that Medieval Borderlands link, I may have finally found a good use for my Castle Risk board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Sauceda
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May be not, you can rule the boats can only travel next to the coast, so being able to be block by force in the shore, and ships can travel trans atlantic or trans pasific and can not be blocked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.