Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Hamilton
United Kingdom
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most fathers I have a perpetual one-up-manship competition with my son-in-law. Since I recently got back into boardgames at the age of 62, what games do my fellow geeks suggest that I can utilise with my world weary experiences to hammer my son-in-law into the ground? Oh, and I am SUCH a bad loser to youth. C'est la vie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For capitalising on wisdom and careful thought:
Tigris & Euphrates
Through the Desert
YINSH

For sheer glee of destruction:
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot
Citadels: The Dark City
Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also do something with minimal luck, so you can bone up on strategy and make sure you destroy him. No lucky dice shall save him this time!!! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janglybits wrote:
I can utilise with my world weary experiences to hammer my son-in-law into the ground? Oh, and I am SUCH a bad loser to youth. C'est la vie.

Hammer him hey. How about Hammer of the Scots? The theme might be of some interest to the both of you as well based on your country flag. Kind of adds a who new meaning to the title of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to be cruel, I'd say get Hive, and before you play practise the game online a few times(http://hivemania.com/play). Since Hive is an abstract, you can bill it as a pure battle of the wits. New players tend to get slaughtered in Hive games against more experienced players.

Or you can remember your own trials as a former son in law and just get Ticket to Ride.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm 56 but no son-in-law yet. I've found VERFLIXXT to be surprisingly good--very tactical. I didn't think I'd like it from reading the directions. There's one dice involved but very little luck. It's easy to make a test-out game before buying the real thing (or just keep playing your test-out game). The tile pieces don't have to be hexagons. They can be squares or circles or whataever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218 can be played online beforehand.

Commands & Colors: Ancients is most excellent as a two player game, but something a little bit lighter and sets up faster is Manoeuvre which is faster, shorter and very fun. Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not knowing what you prefer to play, I'm responding generically - go visit this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31404 for a great discussion on Eurogames that have an element of conflict. It covers a lot of ground in terms of weights/rankings/ratings of games and you would do well to be attentive to it.

However, your bravado comes off as Ameritrash to me, meaning that I think you want to be able to trash-talk yer boy when you spank him - you would also do well to understand that locker-room boo-yah opportunities don't present themselves too often in most Euros. Thus, look over the thread to which I referred.

FWIW, Cribbage is going to be a great way to tank yer boy and trash-talk about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.