Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Imaginiff is a party game in which players answer questions about the other players as well as themselves. The names of the players are entered onto the board, and each space is reached by a dice roll.

According to the rules, if you have less than eight people, you should enter names of people you all know, but who aren't there. This is not a fun way to play the game. For one thing, you are now assigning attributes and talking about people who can't defend themselves. For another, the whole purpose of the game is to build closer bonds with the people you're playing with, and you can't build closer bonds by talking about others. Some people solve this by choosing famous names to fill in the spaces, but that too becomes difficult since you don't really know these people. Therefore, the game is ideally suited for eight people, and eight people only. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to gather eight people for this game. So, how can we include this game with a number other than eight?

I would first of all suggest that the game be played with no less than four people. Two may be company, and three may be a crowd, but neither are a party for this party game.

With four players, it is possible to use each player's name twice. That way, you have more ways to interact.

It's not really fair to double up names with five, six, or seven players, however. Since there are only eight spaces, someone would get doubled up while another would only have one space. My proposal is to make up your own spaces. "Roll again" would be a good filler space. "Player's choice" would mean you get to choose the subject of the question from all gathered together. "Move ahead one space" or "Send another player back one" would add some spice to the game. Even an extra "Challenge" space would be fun. Anything is better than filling it in with random absent people.

What if you have more than eight that want to play? Simple - play with teams, and split the squares. When rolling the die, you can now move by each individual split, playing the question with the name you landed on for that team; or you can move by the big squares, and choose one of the team players' names for the question. With odd numbers, you can either have someone play by themselves, or add them onto a team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had no problem playing the game and having loads of fun using the names of people who aren't present. It's not like the cards are so mean-spirited that you should feel guilty talking about them when they aren't present. It's also quite funny playing with famous people, even using fictional characters can work. In fact we played this game one time with some friends and they had just been telling us about this goose who kept landing in their yard that they nicknamed George. So we added George the Goose to the board. It was one of the most memorable games I have ever played.

But if you really don't want to fill in with other names it seems like you are over-complicating the matter by filling in with "roll again" and "player's choice." Why not simply skip over any empty spaces with the pawn? If you only have 6 players then move the pawn around those spaces and skip over the 2 blank ones.

I have never tried this game with more than 8 players, but it seems like team play would work. However, there are many other party games that might work better with that large a group. I particularly would recommend games like Time's Up!, Things..., or any large team game like Guesstures. On the small group side, I would agree 3 is probably too small a group for most party games, they really aren't intended for that few people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
The times I've played the game with names of people who aren't present, people always end up going in a different direction and not choosing that player. It really does seem to me like the fun comes from coming up with answer for those present. But, if you enjoy it with other names, more power to ya.

I suppose you could jump over those squares, I'm just trying to come up with more things to do with the game. I don't think it's making things too complicated, it's just adding a new dimension. Maybe it's just me. Who knows...they're just suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.