Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Hullett
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it the same game except for the theme? Anyone know?

Thanks,
Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but I have this game. If you have any questions about it, I can tell you.

It does have a "basic" and "advanced" version. I assume that one of these is the same as Trendy, probably the advanced (in advanced each card is worth the number printed on it; in basic, they're one point each.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trendy doesn't have any kind of figurines like Horse Fair. What I would give for a Karl Lagerfeld figurine!

It's a shame, I think Trendy is one of Knizia's best themed games, the horse theme doesn't seem to fit the game as well, but I do like the horse named Snowflake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
...the horse theme doesn't seem to fit the game as well, but I do like the horse named Snowflake.
Wow, I love the horse theme. My daughters love to play cards and gasp over whether Firecracker or Sunset will win! And since the game is very playable by children, having such a child-friendly theme is just right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
Trendy doesn't have any kind of figurines like Horse Fair. What I would give for a Karl Lagerfeld figurine!
OK, I'm quoting you twice, but I should have asked the first time: Does that mean that you get no bonus points for playing the card that pushes a horse or fashion designer over the limit, or just that you have to record these points on paper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
In the basic game of Horse Fair, players only score 1 per card and 2 per horse. In the advanced game, players score the face value of each card, plus one per horse. In both games, a player or partnership that collects 4 horses immediately wins, otherwise play out the deck and score cards and horses. Most horses is the tie-breaker in both cases.

In Trendy there is no bonus for closing out a number, you just count the face value of the cards at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
jtakagi wrote:
...the horse theme doesn't seem to fit the game as well, but I do like the horse named Snowflake.
Wow, I love the horse theme. My daughters love to play cards and gasp over whether Firecracker or Sunset will win! And since the game is very playable by children, having such a child-friendly theme is just right.

I taught this to some of the kids at Origins this year - and had a table of all girls sit down to play. Some observations:

1) They really were disappointed that I wasn't going to let them keep the little horses.

2) They quickly saw the math in this game (they ranged in age from about 6 to maybe 9?) and started trying to swing a vote their way so they could win the horse.

3) They got to playing very cut throat very quickly. Granted, these are the children of gamers, but I was a bit surprised at how quickly they got enough of the math to try and pull the game in their direction.

At one point, I got to feeling bad for one player who was two turns behind me - and who didn't win a single horse in three different games. The player between us was winning consistently, and horses just couldn't get by the player to my left. I started trying to throw a horse to the player who hadn't won one, but every time, either she didn't have the card to win, or the player to my left snatched the horse first.

After the game where I unsuccessfully tried to help the player win a horse, the scores were something like 14, 12, 11, 8, and 2 (with me being the 2). The player to my left looked me in the eye, and very flatly declared that "You're not very good at this game, are you? You really should practice more".

Nope. I wasn't... but they all were!

Ciao!

Russell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.