Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Knox
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the advanced rules (and on actual sailboats in a race), there is a right-of-way rule that says starboard-tack boats (wind on the right side) have right-of-way over port tack boats (wind=left side). But since in the game, boats are NEVER MOVING AT THE SAME TIME (turn-based), I don't see how this situation could ever arise. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Akizuki
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,
I haven't played Regatta in a long time (still have the game) but the most likely case is where the following may occur:
If the boats are running with the wind then there is possibility of boats on opposite tack (since they could choose which side the wind is spilling over). Or perhaps, when you are trying to get around a buoy.

A good time to try and force this situation is if your opponent has rolled a puff (so he will go first next turn). You could attempt to place you boat in front of him whereby you have a starboard tack and he has a port tack. Thus, he must yield the right of way.

I hope this might help you in clarifying when this may occur. I might just have to pull out my game again and play a solo.

Glenn

I thought about last night and I think the most likely case where the situation would come up is when you are beating against the wind. The lead boat may want to get in front of the path of the boat behind to force them to tack in a different direction,thus causing them a delay because there leg must be used in a different direction.

This is probably where it most often occurs in yachting as well if I remember. I bought Regatta after watching Dennis Conner on ESPN taking on the likes of Kiwi Magic, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knox
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
blush Okay, now we know what this means: a port-tack boat cannot end their turn such that a starboard-tack boat can't continue in the same direction the starboard-tacker was last traveling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Kraft
Germany
Burghausen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is only the immediately adjacent spot subject to this or any spot that the boat can reach in the next turn when sailing straight ahead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.