Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This report, with pictures is also available here: http://www.waronterrortheboardgame.com/wotblog/index.php?id=...

We've spent the last couple of months quietly making changes for what will eventually become War on Terror, v 2.0. We have a few aims with this next edition: 1) changing the rules to tighten up the looser aspects of the game and make it more strategically rewarding; 2) introducing some new cards and maybe the odd new rule to keep the game fresh and new; 3) changing the components to make the game lighter. This is our third test game so far ...

It's a school night and a late start. Never a good mix. We're playing with reduced amounts of pieces and money in an attempt to get this thing under 2kg. And there's a new 'piece'. The rumours of some kind of overseas base are correct; War on Terror now has Permanent Military Bases, denoted by two village counters - and boy are they fun.

It turns out to be one of the better games that we've played. There's the classic pattern of peaceful growth, followed by prosperity, followed by fear of losing that prosperity, followed by violence, followed by collapse, followed by a final push to win. This game even saw a 'failed win' as Tom thought he had it in the bag, but his inability to count up to four (developments) let him down and he ended up one point short.

Tom's near miss, opened up the game for Ben and Andy S. Ben was dying to turn terrorist to sample some of the new terrorist cards, but he was prevented by the fact that if he did turn, Tom would automatically win on the remaining points. So despite having been double-nuked by Tom, Ben had to limp on and rebuild his empire. This gave Andy S a chance to slip in under the radar when the entire game had been a two horse race between Tom and Ben... but that's how these things happen. A lucky mix of cards meant that a Regime Change, followed by a free City clinched the game. Andy S gets another win notched on the belt.

There are some lovely new cards, some of which we will divulge, but some we want to keep as a surprise. But we can tell you that moving terrorists around as an Empire is now much more fun. And the 'Democracy Export' card has quickly risen to be the most coveted card in the deck, not quite as devastating as Nukes, but they do have nasty, long-term effects.

The little changes we've made seem to result in a more stable and tactical game, with slightly quicker round times. All of this is great news if it sticks. Another test game this week should tell if it's a one-off fluke or not.

If all goes well, we'll release the v2.0 rules and instructions on how to 'upgrade' your current game. We'll then be relying on you lot to fine tune our fat-fingered attempts at game improvement and then it's off to the printers ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this information!
When will this 2nd Edition appear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be either at the end of this year or the beginning of next. There's not much point in printing the second edition, while we still have first edition games to sell. So it all depends on how fast our current stock runs out (which is predicted to run out end of this year).

That said, we will look into the possibility of getting some cards made up so we can offer people with WoT v.1 a chance to upgrade to WoT v.2 before WoT ed.2 is actually released ... if that makes sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it makes sense if you actually want to sell the rest of your 1st edition games now that you've announced a 2nd edition with substantial changes.

Will the upgrade to 2nd edition be free?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Free upgrade? This is a board game, not a web browser. No, I'm afraid it won't be free.

However, we will release instructions on how you can 'upgrade' yourself, DIY-style and so that will be 'free'. But you won't be getting exactly the same experience as you're going to have to hand-write cards and also sacrifice some existing cards so you can turn them into new cards. But it'll work.

On a basic level, all you need are the new rules; the new cards are an extra treat that aren't as essential as the rule changes. So if you're really skint, just download the new rules when we release them.

Edit: FYI, the changes aren't what I would classify as "substantial". They're just fine-tuning. All changes so far are just minor tweaks to existing rules, with only one new rule (and a new concept) concerning permanent military bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TerrorBull Games wrote:
That said, we will look into the possibility of getting some cards made up so we can offer people with WoT v.1 a chance to upgrade to WoT v.2 before WoT ed.2 is actually released ... if that makes sense?

In order to have the complete upgrade experience, don't forget to order your model Mark II "devil Balaclava" when you order your copy of WoT v2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be happy to pay for a 2nd edition upgrade kit with the new cards, components, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to pay a reasonable amount for an upgrade kit, as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick survey...

What in your eyes is a reasonable amount for an upgrade kit? Say it contained 15 new cards and a small booklet of Rule Addedums.

Serious answers are really appreciated since we'll have to do some kind of sum to work out if the cost of printing the upgrade kits is recoupable through sales of the kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ittiphan J.
Thailand
Chatuchak
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no more than 20$ (15 cards + rule + shipping).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 15 cards and rules I'd say around 7,50 € - 10 € max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I count as one more in the "please make an expansion pack because I'll buy it" group.
Just to recap, you are saying this expansion pack would contain (only) 15 cards and some rules corrections/expansions? Nothing else? Hmmm...
Well a small box expansion like that couldn't be sold for more then £10, although a little less would be better unless you plan to put more in... Maybe you could stick in one of those "Evil" pin badges I've seen on your website or something- it would make an alternative to the balaclava.
When can we expect a digital version of these new rules? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be more than willing to pay 15 to 20 bucks as long as all the components necessary to play 2.0 were included, and the new cards matched the old ones. Are the new printings components going to be the same as the old (aside from the inclusion of the new cards)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
15 cards only $10. (IF the same as the previous ones.) OR new card deck with all the same...

15 cards and rules $20 or so.

Jason

TerrorBull Games wrote:
Quick survey...

What in your eyes is a reasonable amount for an upgrade kit? Say it contained 15 new cards and a small booklet of Rule Addedums.

Serious answers are really appreciated since we'll have to do some kind of sum to work out if the cost of printing the upgrade kits is recoupable through sales of the kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
15 cards and small booklet? I think my max would probably be $10, but even that feels like a bit much.

I'm kind of interested on what the resolution to this one is, since it would decide whether or not I get the 1st edition or wait for the 2nd edition printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldnt feel like I was getting much if I was paying over 10$ for 15 cards.

If the cost of packaging etc. makes that hard target to reach, then you might consider adding a "bonus" of some kind to bump the value up.

The postcards where novel and cute idea in the first game.

Something like stickers, a plastic terrorist, new postcard or pretty much anything could bump the percived value up for the fans and justifying a higher price tag and making the package more cost effective.

I admit, that if it got good reviews I would most likely end up forking out a max of 20$ for it (but feel a bit robbed).

Edit: I didnt realize that somone else had posted a similar thing above ((the axis of evil pin idea). Still basicly a sound option if cost is an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.