3 Posts

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 3player game with exciting finish rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Nordlund
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi. I've never posted here before but I felt compelled to share my triumph of last night with you fine people.

Yesterday we played a 3 player game for the first time, full version. I started the game dead last in culture as I had caesar as my leader and my friends chose Homer and Aristotle respectively. In my last game I ran out of techpoints really early so I decided to avoid this by drawing ideal building site and building a lab first thing in turn 2.

This turned out to be a brilliant move as it meant I could later change to theocracy without sacrificing a turn. During age I i fell farther and farther behind the culture leader as she netted 4 per turn, whilst I kept constant at 2. My economy was growing faster than the other two though so I wasn't worried.

In age 2 I found that I was no longer last in culture as my strong military, backed by a Napoleon-led conquistador army, meant that I had asolid advantage in seeding events, practically netting me 1-2 culture extra per turn. The real killer was when I built the Eiffel tower though. I built it in 2 turns, without using masonry or architechture, and now I was ahead in culture by mid age III.

The game wasn't decided until the last two turns though. In the scond to last round Annie, our starting player upgraded and built up to three computer labs, more than doubling her culture in conjuction with game designer. Suddenly she was ahead again, and pulling away! I was desperate and so I, moving second, launched a raid to burn her labs and restore my lead. My awesome army, led by Napoleon, launched itself and sacrificed every unit and still I couldn't burn them down. She had 3(!) defense cards and didn't even lose a single unit.

I now had no army and decided to use my last resources to build a modern infantry, with bonuses I now had a pitiful 9 strenght...

When our last player had his turn I was ripe for the picking, but he made a critical error, he thought we had more turns left and so he launched a holy war against player 1 thinking she was due to fall since she couldn't possibly have any defense cards left. The war turned out to be almost moot since he won by 5 strength points, resulting a measly 3 point swing and 1 token lost.

After his turn age III ended and Napoleon died, as well as all of us losing 2 yellow tokens. This put player 1 in dire straits, she now had happiness issues and no unused workers so she disbanded most of her farms and built age A temples instead, this would later turn out to be significant...

I was now up and I knew that my military was shot but since I was desperate for points I seeded an event and hoped for the best. Disaster! Historic territory came up for 11 instant points and I had no military. Fotunately for me the other 2 players goaded each other and in the end player 1 sacrificed her entire army to get the colony, she now had 0 strenght.

In the end she was in the lead by these 11 points as we drew the bonus events. A warm glow spread in my belly as I saw first the impact of strenght card came up, netting 7 and her 0 points. Then I knew I had it when impact of farming, which I had seeded, came up and she had just disbanded her farms! In the end I won by 5 points. A most satisfying win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Rewenger
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much time did it take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Nordlund
Sweden
flag msg tools
It took us about 4,5 hours. That's with one first-time player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.