Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Moran
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, im new to BGG as well as Arkham Horror, bought it yesterday and started playing last night, i think we are about half way through playing.

Anyway here are my questions (sorry if they are very basic)

1 - When a mythos card reveals a rumour and shows activity at you put an activity chit in the location however there are 3 different chits with 1, 2 and 3 on them are these just to identify which card is for which location or do they have a deeper purpose? there arent 2 of each number so you couldnt put the "1" on great ritual and "1" on its location.

2 - Monsters and Gates. The investigator goes to gate, kills monster, goes through gate, has encounter in OW, moves, has another encounter, comes out to Arkham. However in the mean time a monster has emerged from the gate he comes out at. Does the investigator have to deal with the monster before they can seal/close the gate.

I think thats it for now. its a great game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cole
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and welcome,

1 - I don't believe they have any deeper purpose, I've always used whichever number comes to hand just to remind people that if they're heading to a certain location they need to look at the Mythos card that's effecting that location. I;ve often thought two of each number would be useful.

2 - It depends. On the first turn you are back in Arkham (the turn you exit the gate) you don't have to do anything about the monster. If you remain to try to close/seal the gate on a later turn for whatever reason then you will have to fight/evade the monster first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
1 - No deeper purpose.

2 - Not in the turn he emerges (and tries to close the gate). But he'll have to evade/combat it in the next turn (before trying again to close the gate, if he failed... because the monster is met in the Movement Phase and the attempt to close a gate is done in the Arkham Encounters Phase).

Have fun! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that you'll get a shot at closing the gate before you have to deal with the monster at all. Closing gates is a part of the Arkham encounter phase, which is after the Other World movement phase. So when you return to Arkham, you've got one turn to try closing the gate without worrying about the monster at all. If you decide not to try to close the gate or fail to do so, you'll then need to evade or fight the monster in subsequent turns.

The #1 rule of thumb to keep in mind in this game is "Follow the turn order religiously." The sequence actually will answer most questions for you, or at least give you a much better idea of where to look in the rules for any problems you encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I MAY be wrong, but I believe that the minute you get to a gate, you are pulled through BEFORE you get to do anything else. This would mean not getting to battle first. Am I wrong? It's been a couple of months since I have pulled my AH out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're incorrect. Before you go through the gate, you need to evade or fight the monster.

The only exception to this is when the gate appears where you already are. Then you're sucked through to the OW and delayed without encountering the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moran
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers :)

Looking forward to contiuing this game tonight.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Welcome to the boards and have fun with Arkham.

For the activity markers, use whatever number you want. The reason they give you three is because you have the (slim) chance of having 3 Mythos cards in effect all at once: 1 Rumor, 1 Environment, and 1 Headline card.

For the sequence in fighting and closing gates, just keep the turn order in the back of your mind. Most everyone has stated it correctly already. But just one word of caution on not having to deal with the monster upon your return: it lasts only for your current turn. Depending on what phase you return, that period may be extremely short and unhelpful to you. Monsters are dealt with at the end of phase 2 (movement) if you haven't already moved. You can return to Arkham during Phase 2 or 4 (with a few other exceptions). So if you return during Phase 4 (mostly due to Other World encounters), your "grace period" only lasts until the end of Phase 5. You will have to deal with the monster the very next Phase 2 before you have a chance to close/seal the gate in Phase 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG and to Arkham Horror.

1) They have no deeper meaning. We don't even use them!!

2) on returning you MAY encounter the monster but don't have to. If both you and the monster are still there in the movement phase of the next turn, you then MUST encounter the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petre Tutunea
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
About the activity chits - there could be some situations when multiple activities could take place at the same location simultaneously. For instance you could have both the Egyptian Exhibit (environment) and The Terrible Experiment (rumor) taking place at the same time in Miskatonic University district - you may indicate this by using the 2 numbered activity chit.

Being quite new to Arkham Horror myself, I'm not sure about how could it be posible to have three concurrent activities at the same location for the 3rd chit to be used in this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Some headlines also have an activity that lasts the round. While it is usually not necessary to mark such things, it could be helpful. Since no more than three mythos cards could be in effect, they only gave up to 3 markers. With my games, I have seen 2 out occasionaly but not the 3rd one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.