♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Well, consider this:

1. There are five roles available, and the game "maxes out" with four players, so you always have a variable arrangement of roles.

2. The player number range (2-4) means that different number of players will have different skill sets, meaning that the number of players makes for a different game each time.

3. The infected cities are determined randomly each game.

4. You only ever go through but about a third of the infection deck, so you're always going to have a different focus for your attentions each game.

So, I think there's a lot of replayability with this game. I've only played two full games of it, and don't feel that I've come close to playing it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own it (yet), but I've played it 5 times so far (on the medium difficulty setting) and still want to play it some more.

The way the game plays out is very different each time.. partly due to which of the 5 characters are in play, and partly due to how the cards come out of the various decks. The mechanics for the epidemic cards and the intensification of the infections deck means you never know from game to game what areas you need to concentrate on etc.

If you beat the game a few times on the medium skill level (we're currently 3 from 5), you can always throw in the extra epidemic card and make it super difficult.

I'd say it has a lot of replayability...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Oh yeah, I forgot to include:

5. You can determine the "skill level" of the game by using a different number of outbreak cards in the deck. So once you feel like you've played out the games on medium, you can add a card to increase the difficulty.

(Thanks, Andy!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to agree with Verkisto and Grimwold. This one is a dandy of a game and doesn't really lose anything with multiple plays. Also it has a lot of potential for expansion since we've already seen several variant roles suggested in the forums. So that will just increase the replay value.

It's a good investment if you think you can focus that competitive nature you mentioned in another thread into beating a game and not the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year, out of my 150+ games, I played none of them 10 or more times. I played Pandemic 18 times in the first 2 weeks I had it and didn't get tired of it. Yes, it is quite replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Dill
United States
Magnolia
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go as far as to say it's addictive. I've owned it for a few month's now...and even my wife likes it.surprise It also plays well as a solo game (controlling two roles simultaneously). Even though the game is simplistic in nature the level of variability keeps it fresh. I (we) always play on the hardest level, so wins are kept at a minimum to begin with, but your're always trying to fine tune strategies for each role (and how each role interacts with the other). After playing with my wife several times and running into the "let's get over here before we have an outbreak" and she says "-No we should really try to erraticate this color over here first", you really have to learn to think as one or at least listen to each other. I can only imagine how the whole strategy changes with 4 people playing. Anyway, I think this will prove to be one of those games that will always be asked to play in our household, especially once I unleash it on our friends and children. Mooooohahahahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the very fact it's so difficult to beat at times lends itself to, "we can't go to sleep/end the night/get up from the table until we beat this bastard of a game" mentality.

At least that's the way it is when we play this game. The number one rule when playing games like this is "you can't go out a loser."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 roles *
3 difficulty levels *
2, 3, or 4-player games *
Different mixes of infected cities *
Different intervals of epidemics
= many re-playability opportunities

That's what Matt said in his speech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
Does the novelty wear off after a certain numbers of plays?

Yes, but that number is acceptably high for a game in this price range. After 42 plays in the past few months I have slowed down on playing it. So there may be a flash in the pan phenomenon here but it is a fun ride while it lasts and certainly worth owning. There are many games in my closet that will never see 42 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
thelegendofhockey wrote:
I would go as far as to say it's addictive. I've owned it for a few month's now...and even my wife likes it.surprise It also plays well as a solo game (controlling two roles simultaneously)...
I completely agree! It's one of my absolute favorite games now, and we usually play it multiple times in a row each time we pull it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
I haven't played this game yet myself, but I was wondering if Pandemic was one of those games with limited replayability? Does the novelty wear off after a certain numbers of plays? After you've beat the game, do you feel like having another go at it?

Being the voice of dissent, my group got tired of it after about 1/2 dozen plays. It just gets formulaic after awhile - especially once you can win regularly on hard barring very bad luck.

That said, it's a fair cheap game and I definitely got my money's worth from it. I'll be taking it back home this weekend to introduce it to my family and my other gaming group, which will hopefully give it some new life.

It's presently my group's second most played game after Imperial (barring filler card games), so you will get a lot of enjoyment from it before it starts getting old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How'd you win on hard regulary having played only 6 times. It took us that many just to win on easy once and we have yet to win on Med level. We've played this game about 15 times so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.