Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age English rules wrote:
Each tool tools can be used only once per round to roll a die with the hunt or during resource procurement.

Ignoring this awkward sentence from the official English rules, I have a question about how tools are used.

Do you use a tool to increase the pip count on a die or to add to the overall total of the roll? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

For example, if you roll 4 dice, can you use tools to increase the total greater than 24?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the section describing the Hunt (p. 6), it says that tools are added "to the total of the roll".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
bfchooch wrote:
For example, if you roll 4 dice, can you use tools to increase the total greater than 24?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks guys; that's what I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bfchooch wrote:
Stone Age English rules wrote:
Each tool tools can be used only once per round to roll a die with the hunt or during resource procurement.

Ignoring this awkward sentence from the official English rules, I have a question about how tools are used.

Wow, that sentence is horrible!

Quote:
Do you use a tool to increase the pip count on a die or to add to the overall total of the roll?

Is there a difference?

Quote:

Oh, I think above you were thinking of "increasing the pip count on a die" to mean "increment the die to the next highest face" (which would max out at 6).

There's no limit, you just add 1 to the pip total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I see what the OP meant - and to answer, yes, the amount added from one or more tools is added to the die roll BEFORE the total is then divided to figure the amount of resource gain. So, if you rolled 5 on the dice for getting gold you could add 1 from a +1 tool for a total of 6 - enough for a gold resource.

Hope that clarifies things. Its a shame that the game's English rules can be terribly worded at times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.