Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this isn't Religion, Sex, or Politics. But, Politics figure into it and it is a taboo subject normally. But, since the geeklist this morning on spending one's stimulus check. I've been wondering. Board gaming can be a very expensive hobby (like many hobbies). Which I think is why many of us 'seem' cheap. You know this biggest bang for our buck.

So, I was thinking. Is the group around here 'well off' or just spending their kids college fund?

Then this poll feature comes along, so I figured why not try it. It doesn't link the answer to a person (that can be seen). So, if you are willing to answer please. (I know this is an international site, but I'd like to keep this to a US Poll. Cost of living, conversion, etc will make it hard for us to relate to this subject).

Poll
What is your families annual income? (you know what you get paid before taxable/non-taxable shenanigans)
less the $20,000
$20,001 to $30,000
$30,001 to $45,000
$45,001 to $60,000
$60,001 to $75,000
$75,001 to $100,000
$100,001 to $125,000
$125,001 to $150,000
$150,001 to $200,000
over $200,000
      74 answers
Poll created by Guantanamo

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After rent and utilities, my wife, SIL and I currently live on a little less than 100USD a week. A far cry from the 800USD/week I was netting just a year ago, but that's the life of a student. On the upside, I have turkish take-out and great burgers 5 mins away. On the downside, we can only afford them 1x/2weeks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
...great burgers 5 mins away. ...

So what does a 'great burger' cost you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow--we are, generally speaking, The Man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am kinda surprised. I assume as a group we were 'above' the norm. But, this seems more then I expected. Of course, right now the sampling size is only 40 and I did put this in an out of the way forum,

According to the US Census Bureau:
In 2006,
the median annual household income was $48,201.00

19.01% of all households had annual incomes exceeding $100,000,
20% earned less than $20,032

This small sampling:
the median appears to be over $75,000

35% are exceeding $100,000
and only 5% are less then $20,000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

I think the Brie Injection is NZD8.50, and the Combustion Vege is NZD8.00. Pretty cheap for freshly-made burgers stacked with great toppings like guacamole, satay sauce, sauteed mushrooms, caramelised red onion, and sweet chili sauce. I'm guessing the nut flour and brie cheese aren't cheap, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

I think the Brie Injection is NZD8.50, and the Combustion Vege is NZD8.00. Pretty cheap for freshly-made burgers stacked with great toppings like guacamole, satay sauce, sauteed mushrooms, caramelised red onion, and sweet chili sauce. I'm guessing the nut flour and brie cheese aren't cheap, either.

You know you did that just to make my mouth water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I am kinda surprised. I assume as a group we were 'above' the norm. But, this seems more then I expected. Of course, right now the sampling size is only 40 and I did put this in an out of the way forum,

In 2006,

This small sampling:

It's pretty easy for two educated professionals to make over $100,000 a year. It also seems that many people on this site are in the tech industry which is also easy to make over $80,000 per individual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colleens wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

In 2006,

This small sampling:

It's pretty easy for two educated professionals to make over $100,000 a year. It also seems that many people on this site are in the tech industry which is also easy to make over $80,000 per individual.

Depends on location. Around here (a college town) two educated professionals may still make under $100,000 (if they are in the education or medical field (non-doctor)). Of course, you can live comfortably with $50,000 to $60,000 a year around here. Also, that assumes that both are bringing in incomes. While three quarters of the families are 2 income families (when you get to the higher incomes) there are still a quarter that are one income families (mine is). It would be interesting if there are a greater number of one income families here too. Also, there are many people here without families. They don't have that second income.

And while it might be easy for two educated professionals to make over $100,000, it's still only about 20% of the US.

But, yes I assumed that BGG demographics would be higher. But, it seems a bit higher then expected. But, it just reinforces my wondering about why we (as a group) are always trying to save that buck or two on a 'hot deal'. Or the talk about spending the stimulus check. The cut off was something like $80,000 for an individual and $120,000 for a family (modified by $900 (or something like that) per child). So, there seems like a lot of people that got little or no stimulus check.

I forget the statistic, but the average 'thrift' shopper has a fairly high income. It's goes back to the more money you have the more time you spend trying to find that deal. Of course, that's why they have a higher income to begin with, probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big test would be to break the poll between combined family income vs. those who live alone. Big difference between a four person family living on 65K and one tech-industry gamer, age 30, livng on 65K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Location creates a significant variance. In today's St Louis market, you can get a four bedroom house in a good neighborhood for under 200K. An equivalent home in Seattle is easily double that. I pay a third for my mortgage than what I'd pay to rent an equivalent house in the Bay Area.

With the costs of housing come changes in salaries. Want a question on financial health? Ask how much money we save every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best definition of wealth is: "If everyone in your household was to stop working today, how many months could you survive in your current residence at your current consumption rate?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prestonisnormal wrote:
The big test would be to break the poll between combined family income vs. those who live alone. Big difference between a four person family living on 65K and one tech-industry gamer, age 30, livng on 65K.

hibikir wrote:
Location creates a significant variance. In today's St Louis market, you can get a four bedroom house in a good neighborhood for under 200K. An equivalent home in Seattle is easily double that. I pay a third for my mortgage than what I'd pay to rent an equivalent house in the Bay Area.

With the costs of housing come changes in salaries. Want a question on financial health? Ask how much money we save every year.

yes, that's what I was kinda implying in the original post. It was just meant as a gauge. Within the US, cost of living is a factor. But, making $100,000 any where is still really good and $30,000 isn't so good.

As far as saving every year. Heck, I can't exactly have fun disposing all my disposable income each year on games, if I'm saving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unbeliever wrote:
I think the best definition of wealth is: "If everyone in your household was to stop working today, how many months could you survive in your current residence at your current consumption rate?"

True. No matter how much someone makes, if he don't have savings to live for a year, he's a wage slave. After the third year, he is well off. To really be wealthy, he has to be able to retire on the spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.