Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To work out some final kinks (and to whet your appetite), a group of us is playing a VASSAL pbem of Through the Ages. The effort that Dave (Neumannium) has put into the module is incredible, as I am sure that Scott and Ray will confirm. Hopefully we'll have the module available for all to use very shortly. We want to showcase it to the designer and/or distributor to get the final seal of approval. Enough of the background, though. Follow below the story of our civilizations Through the Ages.

VASSAL Through the Ages (v1.32)
Player Order (determined randomly): Scott (qzhdad), Ray (valkray), Dave (Neumannium), Dale (Dmart)

Turn 1
* Aristotle, Moses, Ideal Building Site, Rich Land, Hanging Gardens
** Hammurabi, Revolutionary Idea, Frugality, Homer
*** Pyramids, Engineering Genius, Library of Alexandria, Frugality
Scott takes Aristotle (1).
Ray takes Ideal Building Site (1) and Rich Land (1).
Dave takes Hanging Gardens (1) and Homer (2).
Dale takes Moses (1) and Engineering Genius (3).

Turn 2 (Scott)
* Hammurabi, Revolutionary Idea, Frugality, Pyramids, Library of Alexandria
** Frugality, Patriotism, Work of Art, Alexander the Great
*** Ideal Building Site, Julius Caesar, Colossus, Rich Land
Political Action: None available.
Other Actions: Take Pyramids (1), build Mine- Bronze (1), increase population (1), take Frugality (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments:

Turn 2 (Ray)
* Revolutionary Idea, Library of Alexandria, Frugality, Patriotism, Work of Art
** Alexander the Great, Ideal Building Site, Julius Caesar, Colossus
*** Rich Land, Patriotism, Joan of Arc, Efficient Upgrade
Other Actions: Take Library of Alexandria (1), play Rich Land (build Mine- Bronze; 1), increase population (1), construct stage of Library of Alexandria (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments:

Turn 2 (Dave)

* Frugality, Patriotism, Work of Art, Alexander the Great, Ideal Building Site
** Julius Caesar, Colossus, Rich Land, Patriotism
*** Joan of Arc, Efficient Upgrade, Christopher Columbus, Alchemy
Other Actions: Play Homer (1), take Work of Art (1), build Mine- Bronze (1), increase population (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments:

Turn 2 (Dale)
* Patriotism, Alexander the Great, Ideal Building Site, Julius Caesar, Colossus
** Rich Land, Patriotism, Joan of Arc, Efficient Upgrade
*** Christopher Columbus, Alchemy, Masonry, Taj Mahal
Other Actions: Play Moses (1), build Mine- Bronze (1), increase population (1), take Ideal Building Site (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments:

Turn 3 (Scott)
* Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Colossus, Rich Land, Patriotism
** Joan of Arc, Efficient Upgrade, Christopher Columbus, Alchemy
*** Masonry, Taj Mahal, Printing Press, Breakthrough
Political Action: Reveal Development of Agriculture.
Other Actions: Increase population (1), play Frugality (1), build Mine- Bronze (1), take Rich Land (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: No need to play Aristotle yet. Needed to keep corruption down, so I increased population twice. Hopefully, I can use the Ideal Building Site to increase infrastructure and still work on Pyramid.

Turn 3 (Ray)
* Julius Caesar, Colossus, Patriotism, Joan of Arc, Efficient Upgrade
** Christopher Columbus, Alchemy, Masonry, Taj Mahal
*** Printing Press, Breakthrough, Drama, Theology
Political Action: None.
Other Actions: Build Mine- Bronze (1), take Alchemy (2), increase population (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: Needed to increase population to avoid revolt. Where is that free population event? Sigh.

Turn 3 (Dave)
* Colossus, Patriotism, Joan of Arc, Efficient Upgrade, Christopher Columbus
** Masonry, Taj Mahal, Printing Press, Breakthrough
*** Drama, Theology, Bountiful Harvest, Frederick Barbarossa
Political Action: Reveal Development of Settlement (Dave, Dale, Scott, Ray)
Other Actions: Play Work of Art (1), take Christopher Columbus (1), complete stage of Hanging Gardens (1), increase population (1), conscript Infantry- Warrior (M).
Comments:

Turn 3 (Dale)
* Patriotism, Joan of Arc, Efficient Upgrade, Masonry, Taj Mahal
** Printing Press, Breakthrough, Drama, Theology
*** Bountiful Harvest, Frederick Barbarossa, Monarchy, Alchemy
Political Action: Reveal Development of Markets.
Other Actions: Play Ideal Building Site (build temple- Religion; 1), build Lab- Philosophy (1), increase population (1), take Masonry; draw two Military cards.
Comments: Trying to take advantage of Moses’ benefits for as long as possible.

Turn 4 (Scott)
* Joan of Arc, Efficient Upgrade, Taj Mahal, Printing Press, Breakthrough
** Drama, Theology, Bountiful Harvest, Frederick Barbarossa
*** Monarchy, Alchemy, Irrigation, St. Peter’s Basilica
Political Action: Reveal Development of Crafts.
Other Actions: Construct stage of Pyramids (1), construct stage of Pyramids (1), complete Pyramids (1), play Rich Land (build Farm- Agriculture; 1), build Mine- Bronze (1).
Comments: Still holding Aristotle because I’ve not seen a Tech that I “needed” for the price. He may never hit the table.

Turn 4 (Ray)
* Efficient Upgrade, Taj Mahal, Printing Press, Breakthrough, Drama
** Theology, Bountiful Harvest, Frederick Barbarossa, Monarchy
*** Alchemy, Irrigation, St. Peter’s Basilica, Work of Art
Political Action: Reveal Development of Religion (Ray, Dave, Dale, Scott)
Other Actions: Construct stage of Library of Alexandria (1), construct stage of Library of Alexandria (1), complete Library of Alexandria (1), play Ideal Building Site (build lab- Philosophy; 1), conscript Infantry- Warrior (M); draw one Military card.
Comments: Resource heaven! Create a Warrior to expend some resources. Hope the extra card capacity will give a little flexibility.

Turn 4 (Dave)
* Taj Mahal, Printing Press, Breakthrough, Drama, Theology
** Bountiful Harvest, Frederick Barbarossa, Monarchy, Alchemy
*** Irrigation, St. Peter’s Basilica, Work of Art, Mineral Deposits
Other Actions: Construct stage of Hanging Gardens (1), complete Hanging Gardens (1), take Printing Press (1), build lab- Philosophy (1), play Fighting Band (M); draw one Military card.
Comments: I need to build a farm!

Turn 4 (Dale)
* Breakthrough, Drama, Theology, Bountiful Harvest, Frederick Barbarossa
** Monarchy, Alchemy, Irrigation, St. Peter’s Basilica
*** Work of Art, Mineral Deposits, Printing Press, Warfare
Political Action: Reveal No Event.
Other Actions: Increase population (1), conscript an Infantry- Warrior (M), take Theology (1), take Alchemy (2); draw one Military card.
Comments: Difficult decision between Monarchy and Alchemy, but I think the additional science will be more beneficial at this point.

Turn 5 (Scott)
* Drama, Bountiful Harvest, Frederick Barbarossa, Monarchy, Irrigation
** St. Peter’s Basilica, Work of Art, Mineral Deposits, Printing Press
*** Warfare, Alchemy, Irrigation, Monarchy
Political Action: Reveal Immigration (Dave benefits).
Other Actions: Play Aristotle (1), take Irrigation (1), increase population (1), play Irrigation (1), build lab- Philosophy (1); take two Military cards.
Comments: Aristotle made the board finally. I can’t believe that the first tech that I picked up didn’t happen until the fifth turn. I wouldn’t have predicted Irrigation to be the first one either. I’ll keep pumping out the pop to see how that works and Irrigation will help with that.

Turn 5 (Ray)
* Bountiful Harvest, Frederick Barbarossa, Monarchy, St. Peter’s Basilica, Work of Art
** Mineral Deposits, Printing Press, Warfare, Alchemy
*** Irrigation, Monarchy, Theocracy, Code of Laws
Political Action: Reveal Barbarians (no effect)
Other Actions: Increase population (1), take St. Peter’s Basilica (2), construct a stage of St. Peter’s Basilica (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: No secondary production yet. Cycling blue tokens. Trying a second Wonder, not something I’ve done in the past.

Turn 5 (Dave)
* Frederick Barbarossa, Monarchy, Work of Art, Mineral Deposits, Printing Press
** Warfare, Alchemy, Irrigation, Monarchy
*** Theocracy, Code of Laws, Rich Land, Universitas Carolina
Political Action: None
Other Actions: Take Work of Art (1), take Monarchy (1), build Farm- Agriculture (1), increase population (1), conscript Infantry- Warrior (M); draw one Military card.
Comments: Not sure about my play this turn, but trying to capitalize and build my current Strength and Culture lead.

Turn 5 (Dale)
* Mineral Deposits, Printing Press, Warfare, Alchemy, Irrigation
** Monarchy, Theocracy, Code of Laws, Rich Land
*** Universitas Carolina, Genghis Khan, Code of Laws, Bread and Circuses
Political Action: Reveal Rebellion (no effect).
Other Actions: Play Alchemy (1), increase population (1), upgrade Lab- Philosophy to Alchemy (1), build Farm- Agriculture (1); draw two Military cards
Comments: My supply of resources forced me to build to avoid corruption, which precluded my ability to draw any cards from the Card Row (I also had to play a card to drop below the maximum hand limit).

Turn 6 (Scott)
* Printing Press, Warfare, Alchemy, Irrigation, Monarchy,
** Theocracy, Code of Laws, Rich Land, Universitas Carolina
*** Genghis Khan, Code of Laws, Bread and Circuses, Efficient Upgrade
Political Action: Reveal Wealthy Territory (Scott: 1; Ray, 2; Dave, 3; Dale, pass)
Other Actions: Take Warfare (1), take Alchemy (1), play Alchemy (1), upgrade Lab- Philosophy to Alchemy (1), upgrade lab- Philosophy to Alchemy (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: I should have upgraded a farm, probably, but opted for two upgraded labs instead. Still had two corruption.

Turn 6 (Ray)
* Irrigation, Monarchy, Theocracy, Code of Laws, Rich Land
** Universitas Carolina, Genghis Khan, Code of Laws, Bread and Circuses
*** Efficient Upgrade, Great Wall, Knights, Cartography
Political Action: Reveal Scientific Breakthrough.
Other Actions: Take Code of Laws (1), play Code of Laws (1), take Irrigation (1), play Irrigation (1), complete St. Peter’s Basilica (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: Will wait on a government change, opting for Code instead for the moment. Seems Iron was waiting in the wings forever, but finally makes an appearance.

Turn 6 (Dave)
* Monarchy, Theocracy, Rich Land, Universitas Carolina, Genghis Khan
** Code of Laws, Bread and Circuses, Efficient Upgrade, Great Wall
*** Knights, Cartography, Frugality, Iron
Political Action: None
Other Actions: Declare peaceful revolution to Monarchy (1), take Universitas Carolina (1), complete stage of Universitas Carolina (1), destroy Temple- Religion (1), conscript Infantry- Warrior (M); draw one Military card.
Comments: Need a science bonus, so I grabbed Universitas. Running into corruption issues, however, due to lack of unused workers. Need to do something about my farms!

Turn 6 (Dale)
* Theocracy, Rich Land, Genghis Khan, Code of Laws, Bread and Circuses
** Efficient Upgrade, Great Wall, Knights, Cartography
*** Frugality, Iron, Swordsmen, Michelangelo
Political Action: Propose Trade Routes Agreement with Dave (A: Dale; B: Dave; accepted)
Other Actions: Take Code of Laws (1), play Code of Laws (1), increase population (1), upgrade lab- Philosophy to Alchemy (1), take Rich Land (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: I was hoping to snag Universitas, but Dave got it: looks like I won’t have any Wonders going into Age II.

Turn 7 (Scott)
* Genghis Khan, Bread and Circuses, Efficient Upgrade, Great Wall, Knights
** Cartography, Frugality, Iron, Swordsmen
*** Michelangelo, Swordsmen, Knights, Revolutionary Idea
Political Action: Cultural Influence (not as much fun as Scientific Breakthough)
Other Actions: Increase population (1), upgrade Farm- Agriculture to Irrigation (1), take Iron (2), play Warfare (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: Due to corruption last time, I couldn’t afford a temple, so had to make a discontent worker. Fortunately, that event is gone already. Since I couldn’t upgrade a mine, I decided to play Warfare instead of Iron to grab an extra military card and use the military as some defense. I really would have liked to take Cartography, but decided the extra military card was worth passing on it. Maybe I can get Navigation instead.

Turn 7 (Ray)
* Bread and Circuses, Efficient Upgrade, Great Wall, Knights, Cartography
** Frugality, Swordsmen, Michelangelo, Swordsmen,
*** Knights, Revolutionary Idea, Mineral Deposits, Warfare
Other Actions: Take Cartography (1), take Cavalry- Knights (1), play Cavalry- Knights (1), conscript Cavalry- Knights (M), play Phalanx (M), take Infantry- Swordsmen (1).
Comments: Almost entirely a Military build-up turn. Gruelling to see Scott’s one card draw being Iron…

Turn 7 (Dave)
* Efficient Upgrade, Great Wall, Frugality, Michelangelo, Swordsmen
** Knights, Revolutionary Idea, Mineral Deposits, Warfare
*** Drama, Theology, Knights, Bread and Circuses
Political Action: Reveal Uncertain Borders: Scott loses a yellow token; Ray gains one.
Other Actions: Complete stage of Universitas Carolina (1), increase population (1), take Efficient Upgrade (1), take Infantry- Swordsmen (1), played Work of Art (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Gah….really need to grab some upgrades to buildings…particularly Alchemy, Iron, or Irrigation, but my luck on getting these while affordable hasn’t been good so far. Need to finish Wonder next turn so I can focus on getting my science up.

Turn 7 (Dale)
* Great Wall, Frugality, Michelangelo, Knights, Revolutionary Idea
** Mineral Deposits, Warfare, Drama, Theology
*** Knights, Bread and Circuses, Iron, Ideal Building Site
Political Action: Reveal Good Harvest.
Other Actions: Take Cavalry- Knights (1), play Cavalry- Knights (1), conscript a Cavalry- Knights (M), play Phalanx (M), take Great Wall (1), complete stage of Great Wall (1), increase population (1).
Comments: Moses will be gone by my next turn: I think he served me well. Had to get the military respectable.

Turn 8 (Scott)
* Frugality, Michelangelo, Revolutionary Idea, Mineral Deposits, Warfare
** Drama, Theology, Knights, Bread and Circuses
*** Iron, Ideal Building Site, Irrigation, Leonardo da Vinci
Political Action: Reveal Reign of Terror (Scott loses one population).
Other Actions: Play Mine- Iron (1), build Temple- Religion (1), upgrade Mine- Bronze to Iron (1), take Michelangelo (1), play Fighting Band (M); draw two Military cards.
Comments: BGG is really high on Michelangelo, but I took him because I had an action left. I am really not appreciating the extra action from the Pyramids like I usually do. It seems like I have often not had a burning need for that extra action. I had to build the temple to keep the happiness up, but I’d rather have had a soldier. Unfortunately, the two events that cost me pop and a token made both impractical.

Turn 8 (Ray)
* Revolutionary Idea, Mineral Deposits, Warfare, Drama, Theology
** Knights, Bread and Circuses, Iron, Ideal Building Site
*** Irrigation, Leonardo da Vinci, Iron, Swordsmen
Age I ends.
Political Actions: None.
Other Actions: Take Iron (2), take Leonardo daVinci (3)
Comments: Opted to grab Iron and Leonardo. Expensive in actions with no resources used. Resources low, but ok due to no consumption/corruption from Good Harvest

Turn 8 (Dave)
* Mineral Deposits, Warfare, Drama, Theology, Knights
** Bread and Circuses, Ideal Building Site, Irrigation, Iron
*** Swordsmen, Engineering Genius, Organized Religion, Navigation
Political Actions: Reveal Developed Territory (Dave, pass; Dale, 2; Scott, pass; Ray, pass)
Other Actions: Homer lost due to end of Age I; complete Universitas Carolinas (1), increase population (1), take Irrigation (2), play Infantry- Swordsmen (1), upgrade Infantry- Warrior to Swordsmen (M), upgrade Infantry- Warrior to Swordsmen (M); draw one Military card.
Comments: Do I take Iron or Irrigation??? Well, I’m thinking that if I get Irrigation and can just get enough food going, I can consistently increase my population. I should be able to pick up Coal soon now that Age II is here…of course, if I don’t get Coal, I may be screwed.

Turn 8 (Dale)
* Warfare, Drama, Theology, Knights, Bread and Circuses
** Ideal Building Site, Iron, Swordsmen, Engineering Genius
*** Organized Religion, Navigation, Cavalrymen, Napoleon Bonaparte
Other Actions: Moses lost due to end of Age I; conscript Cavalry- Knight (M), take Warfare (1), play Warfare (1), construct stage of Great Wall (1), take Iron (2); draw two Military cards.
Comments: Winning the colony with only a bid of two surprised me. I still need to upgrade my farms and mines, though. I also need to get some more Culture produced.

So ends a full round of turns and the end of Age I. What will Age II bring? Stay tuned for the next chapter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Glosser
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and, yes, we did correct the consumption/corruption event issue in turn 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Neat. Good to see something like this.

Those icons are very small. Is the last one civ strength?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Glosser
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
The VASSAL interface itself will not appear that small and seems very nice so far. This was my first run at the module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The icons here are not related at all to the VASSAL module: I had to create them in order to illustrate the scores in a somewhat attractive fashion (and they look like junk compared to what Dave has put together).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Nordlund
Sweden
flag msg tools
When might this become available then? I've no idea about how to use vassal but I'd be happy to learn. Will there be a version with AI:s for solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that we can have it out later this month, but, no, VASSAL does not support AI play (only pbem and online play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Age II dawns upon our civilizations...

Turn 9 (Scott)
* Drama, Theology, Knights, Bread and Circuses, Ideal Building Site
** Swordsmen, Engineering Genius, Organized Religion, Navigation
*** Cavalrymen, Napoleon Bonaparte, Strategy, Efficient Upgrade
Political Action: Reveal Raiders (Scott and Dave affected).
Other Actions: Upgrade Farm- Agriculture to Irrigation (1), destroy Farm- Agriculture (1), take Theology (1), play Theology (1), upgrade Temple- Religion to Theology; draw three Military cards.
Comments: I didn’t want to let Dale have colony for 2. I had a contentedness shortage, so depop-ed a farm and upped the temple. I need to get some yellow tokens somehow.

Turn 9 (Ray)
* Knights, Bread and Circuses, Ideal Building Site, Swordsmen, Engineering Genius
** Organized Religion, Navigation, Cavalrymen, Napoleon Bonaparte
*** Strategy, Efficient Upgrade, Selective Breeding, Mineral Deposits
Other Actions: Play Leonardo da Vinci (1), play Iron (1), upgraded Mine- Bronze to Iron (1), increased population (1), play Infantry- Swordsmen (1), upgrade Infantry- Warrior to Swordsman (M), conscript Cavalry- Knight (M)
Comments: Needed to use a lot of resources to avoid corruption again. Had to bypass card draws this turn. We’ll see how that goes.

Turn 9 (Dave)
* Bread and Circuses, Ideal Building Site, Swordsmen, Engineering Genius, Organized Religion
** Navigation, Cavalrymen, Napoleon Bonaparte, Strategy
*** Efficient Upgrade, Selective Breeding, Mineral Deposits, Wave of Nationalism
Other Actions: Play Irrigation (1), play Efficient Upgrade (upgrade Farm- Agriculture to Irrigation; 1), take Navigation (2), upgrade Farm- Agriculture to Irrigation (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Nothing good in the card row this turn, and my hand was weak, so I’m focusing on fixing my food engine to hopefully last me until the end game.

Turn 9 (Dale)
* Ideal Building Site, Swordsmen, Engineering Genius, Organized Religion, Cavalrymen
** Napoleon Bonaparte, Strategy, Efficient Upgrade, Selective Breeding,
*** Mineral Deposits, Wave of Nationalism, Justice System, Riflemen
Political Action: Reveal Pestilence.
Other Actions: Play Masonry (1), complete Great Wall (two stages due to Masonry; 1), take Cavalry (1), take Selective Breeding (2); draw three Military cards.
Comments: My farms are hurting, so passing on Selective Breeding was not an option.

Turn 10 (Scott)
* Swordsmen, Engineering Genius, Organized Religion, Napoleon Bonaparte, Strategy
** Efficient Upgrade, Mineral Deposits, Wave of Nationalism, Justice System
*** Riflemen, Isaac Newton, Coal, William Shakespeare
Political Action: Reveal Crusades (Scott loses 4 Culture; Ray gains 4)
Other Actions: Play Michelangelo (1), take Infantry- Swordsman (1), play Infantry- Swordsman (1), conscript Infantry- Swordsman (M), take Strategy (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: I have to do something about military, so this was a start. Michelangelo, obviously will help CP generation, too.

Turn 10 (Ray)
* Engineering Genius, Organized Religion, Napoleon Bonaparte, Efficient Upgrade, Mineral Deposits
** Wave of Nationalism, Justice System, Riflemen, Isaac Newton
*** Coal, William Shakespeare, Architecture, Constitutional Monarchy
Other Actions: Take Constitutional Monarchy (3), increased population (1), upgrade mine- Bronze to Iron (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: Opting for possible government shift. Not sure of this due to the expense, but giving it a try. Resource usage to keep away from corruption, but missing several tasty cards. Pop increase to give a pre-use offset for earlier lost worker. Finally got new Military cards once more. Two turns without have been worrisome.

Turn 10 (Dave)
* Organized Religion, Napoleon Bonaparte, Efficient Upgrade, Mineral Deposits, Wave of Nationalism
** Justice System, Riflemen, Isaac Newton, Coal
*** William Shakespeare, Architecture, Transcontinental Railroad, Ocean Liner Service
Political Action: Reveal Border Conflict (Scott loses an urban building, mine or farm; Dale gets 3 resources).
Other Actions: Play Christopher Columbus (1), take Justice System (2), take Coal (2), conscript Infantry- Swordsmen (M); draw two Military cards.
Comments: Basically gave up a lot to get Coal, but I really need to get this thing running.

Turn 10 (Dale)
* Napoleon Bonaparte, Efficient Upgrade, Mineral Deposits, Wave of Nationalism, Riflemen
** Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare, Architecture, Transcontinental Railroad
*** Ocean Liner Service, Republic, Justice System, Cavalrymen
Other Actions: Play Iron (1), upgrade Mine- Bronze to Iron (1), upgrade Mine- Bronze to Iron (1), take Efficient Upgrade (1), play Theology (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: I find it interesting that at this point in the game (halfway through Age II) that not a single library or theater has been built by any player.

Turn 11 (Scott)
* Mineral Deposits, Wave of Nationalism, Riflemen, Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare
** Architecture, Transcontinental Railroad, Ocean Liner Service, Republic
*** Justice System, Cavalrymen, Bountiful Harvest, Organized Religion
Political Action: Reveal Inhabited Territory (Scott bids 3; Ray, 4; Dave, pass; Dale, pass; Scott, 5; Ray pass).
Other Actions: Play Strategy (1), take Wave of Nationalism (1), take Transcontinental Railroad (2), upgrade Mine- Bronze to Iron (1), conscript Infantry- Swordsmen (M); draw two Military cards.
Comments: Moving forward on military, but still in last….. I needed the yellow markers from that territory.

Turn 11 (Ray)
* Riflemen, Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare, Architecture, Ocean Liner Service
** Republic, Justice System, Cavalrymen, Bountiful Harvest
*** Organized Religion, Coal, Opera, Constitutional Monarchy, Journalism
Other Actions: Take Isaac Newton (1), play Isaac Newton (1), play Alchemy (1, recover 1), upgrade Lab- Philosophy to Alchemy (1), take Architecture (1), upgrade Mine- Bronze to Iron (1), Conscript Infantry- Warrior (M); draw one Military card.
Comments: Infrastructure upgrades. Leader swap: same lab bonus, action recovery instead of resource gain.

Turn 11 (Dave)
* William Shakespeare, Ocean Liner Service, Republic, Justice System, Cavalrymen
** Bountiful Harvest, Organized Religion, Coal, Opera
*** Constitutional Monarchy, Journalism, Journalism, Rich Land, Patriotism
Political Action: Use Columbus’ to colonize Developed Territory.
Other Actions: Play Coal (1), increased population (1), take Cavalry- Cavalrymen (1), take Opera (2); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Need to upgrade/build some coal mines, but don’t have enough resources to do it…need to save for next round, so didn’t build anything.

Turn 11 (Dale)
* Ocean Liner Service, Republic, Justice System, Bountiful Harvest, Organized Religion
** Constitutional Monarchy, Journalism, Journalism, Rich Land
*** Patriotism, Work of Art, Cavalrymen, Ideal Building Site
Political Action: Reveal Historic Territory (Dale bids 1; Scott, 2; Ray, 3; Dave, pass; Dale, pass; Scott, ; Ray, )
Other Actions: Take Ocean Liner Service (2), construct two stages of Ocean Liner Service (1), take Journalism (2); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Hopefully the Ocean Liner will get me more people in play quicker.

Turn 12 (Scott)
* Republic, Justice System, Bountiful Harvest, Organized Religion, Constitutional Monarchy
** Journalism, Rich Land, Patriotism, Work of Art
*** Cavalrymen, Ideal Building Site, Opera, Cannon
Political Action: Reveal Fertile Territory (Scott bids 2; Ray, pass; Dave, 4; Dale, pass; Scott, pass; Dave wins)
Other Actions: Take Constitutional Monarchy (1), increase population (1), upgrade Mine- Bronze to Iron (1), destroy Mine- Bronze (1), play Wave of Patriotism (1), conscript Infantry- Swordsmen (M), conscript Infantry- Swordsmen (M); draw two Military cards.
Comments: Finally out of last for military, but Era II is almost over and I don’t have any Era II cards to play. My resource production is under control, but I’ll probably have to expand it more. Taking the mine away might not have been the best move, but I wanted to use all 6 resources from the Patriotism card.

Turn 12 (Ray)
* Republic, Justice System, Bountiful Harvest, Organized Religion, Journalism
** Rich Land, Patriotism, Work of Art, Cavalrymen
*** Ideal Building Site, Opera, Cannon, Revolutionary Idea, Eiffel Tower
Political Action: Reveal Emigration (no effect)
Other Actions: Take Journalism (1), take Justice System (1), upgrade Lab- Philosophy to Alchemy (1), played Cartography (1; recover 1), upgrade Farm- Agriculture to Irrigation (1), upgrade Farm- Agriculture to Irrigation (1), upgrade Infantry- Warrior to Swordsmen (M); draw one Military card.
Comments: Same boat with Age II cards not yet in play. Second coal to appear on my turn, destined to be gone…

Turn 12 (Dave)
* Bountiful Harvest, Organized Religion, Rich Land, Patriotism, Work of Art
** Cavalrymen, Ideal Building Site, Opera, Cannon
*** Revolutionary Idea, Eiffel Tower, Coal, Scientific Method
Political Action: Reveal Economic Progress.
Other Actions: Play Justice System (1), upgrade Mine- Bronze to Coal (1), take Rich Land (1), increase population (1), played Printing Press (1), take Work of Art (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: The ignoring of my mines is starting to show, as I’m woefully short on resources.

Turn 12 (Dale)
* Organized Religion, Patriotism, Cavalrymen, Ideal Building Site, Opera
** Cannon, Revolutionary Idea, Eiffel Tower, Coal
*** Scientific Method, Cannon, Scientific Method, Selective Breeding
Political Action: Reveal Historic Territory (Dale bids 4; Scott, 5; Ray, pass; Dave, pass; Dale, pass; Scott wins).
Other Actions: Construct two stages of Ocean Liner Service (1); increase population (1), play Efficient Upgrade (upgrade Mine- Bronze to Iron; 1), conscript Cavalry- Knights (M), take Ideal Building Site (1), upgrade Temple- Religion to Theology (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: Would have liked to get the Historic Territory, but I would have had to sacrifice everything to get it. I’ll have to find another way to get more Culture. Sadly, as Age II comes to a close, I said exactly the same thing at the end of Age I (and I’m still only kicking out 2 Culture per turn). Time flies!

Turn 13 (Scott)
* Patriotism, Cavalrymen, Opera, Cannon, Revolutionary Idea
** Eiffel Tower, Coal, Scientific Method, Cannon
*** Scientific Method, Selective Breeding, Team Sports, Maximilien Robespierre)
Political Action: Reveal Fertile Territory (Scott bids 2, Ray bids 3, Dave bids 4, Dale bids 5, Scott passes, Ray bids 9, Dave passes, Dale passes; Ray wins).
Other Actions: Declare peaceful revolution- Constitutional Monarchy (1), construct stage of Transcontinental Railroad (1), construct stage of Transcontinental Railroad (1), complete Transcontinental Railroad (1), increase population (1), conscript an Infantry- Swordsmen (M), conscript an Infantry- Swordsmen (M), take Scientific Method (2); draw three Military cards.
Comments: The new king pushed through the railroad which convinced a small nearby country to join up, they proved to be good soldiers when equipped and the new king also heard about a new kind of alchemy that he wants to investigate. The king laments not grabbing the plans for the tallest building in the world, but it would have meant giving up his new swordsman and pursuing science as he dreams of.

Turn 13 (Ray)
* Work of Art, Cavalrymen, Opera, Cannon, Revolutionary Idea
** Eiffel Tower, Coal, Republic, Journalism
*** Team Sports, Maximilian Robespierre, Kremlin, Riflemen
Other Actions: Declare peaceful revolution- Constitutional Monarchy (1), increase population (1), increase population (1), increase population (1), take Cavalry- Cavalrymen (1), take Revolutionary Idea (1), take Coal (2), conscript- Infantry- Swordsmen (M), conscript Infantry- Swordsmen (M), conscript Cavalry- Knight (M); draw one 1 Military card.
Comments: Another Monarch ascends the throne from the dregs of Despotism in the Winter of the second age. Again, military corps required recruitment after the expansion of the empire, and preparation for advancements in unit and resource production are researched. Cursing the theft of scientific advisors by the opposing Monarch.

Turn 13 (Dave)
* Opera, Cannon, Eiffel Tower, Republic, Journalism
** Team Sports, Maximilian Robespierre, Kremlin, Riflemen
*** Breakthrough, Cannon, J.S.Bach, Cannon
Other Actions: Play Rich Land (build Mine- Coal; 1), increased population (1), take Journalism (1), play Navigation (1), take Republic (1), increase population (1).
Comments: Kind of a lost turn. I really need to increase my resource production, and the new Coal mine helps. Not sure if it will be enough though.

Turn 13 (Dale)
* Cannon, Eiffel Tower, Team Sports, Maximilien Robespierre, Kremlin
** Riflemen, Breakthrough, Cannon, J.S. Bach
*** Cannon, James Cook, Efficient Upgrade, Scientific Method
Other Actions: Complete Ocean Liner Service (1), increase population (0 to due Ocean Liner), play Modern Army (M), take Eiffel Tower (3), play Rich Land (build Mine- Iron; 1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: I probably needed to take some different cards rather than using three actions to take the Eiffel Tower, but I couldn’t afford to let anyone else build it and get the four Culture per turn as I diligently try to catch up.

Turn 14 (Scott)
* Team Sports, Maximilien Robespierre, Kremlin, Riflemen, Breakthrough
** Cannon, J.S. Bach, Cannon, James Cook
*** Efficient Upgrade, Scientific Method, Engineering Genius, Selective Breeding
Political Action: Play Aggression- Annex against Dave (successful defense with army sacrifice and two Defense cards). .
Other Actions: Take Breakthrough (1), construct stage of Kremlin (1), increase population (1), conscript Infantry- Swordsmen (M), construct stage of Kremlin (1), take James Cook (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: I really hoped to pick up another colony to go with Cook, but two is still worth it, I guess.

Turn 14 (Ray)
* Maximilien Robespierre, Riflemen, Cannon, J.S. Bach, Cannon
** Efficient Upgrade, Scientific Method, Engineering Genius, Selective Breeding
*** Frugality, Mechanized Agriculture, Air Force, Patriotism
Age II ends
Other Actions: Take Rifleman (1), take Scientific Method (2), take Air Force (3), play Scientific Method (1, recover 1), upgrade Lab- Alchemy to Scientific Method (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Production preparations all around. Saddened to see Kremlin go. In need of culture production.

Turn 14 (Dave)
* Cannon, J.S. Bach, Cannon, Efficient Upgrade, Engineering Genius
** Selective Breeding, Frugality, Mechanized Agriculture, Patriotism
*** Bountiful Harvest, Communism, Efficient Upgrade, Democracy
Political Action: Reveal Refugees. Dave loses 3 Culture and 1 population; Dale gains 3 Culture and 1 population.
Other Actions: Take Cannon (1), upgrade Mine- Bronze to Coal (1), play Cavalry- Cavalrymen (1), take Efficient Upgrade (1), take Patriotism (2); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Floundering now. Just treading water. Not sure where my game fell apart, but I’m having my usual late-game problem with not generating any culture, but this time I’m also decrepit when it comes to military as well. Just waiting for a miracle to get back in this, otherwise waiting for the next game.

Turn 14 (Dale)
* J.S. Bach, Engineering Genius, Selective Breeding, Frugality, Mechanized Agriculture
** Bountiful Harvest, Communism, Efficient Upgrade, Democracy
*** Mineral Deposits, Oil, Rock ‘n’ Roll Icon, Winston Churchill
Political Action: Reveal Inhabited Territory (Dale bids 5; Scott, pass; Ray, pass; Dave, pass; Dale wins)
Other Actions: Conscript Cavalry- Knight (M), conscript Infantry- Warrior (M), increase population (0 due to Ocean Liner Service), play Library- Journalism (1), play Ideal Building Site (build Library- Journalism; 1), take Engineering Genius (1), take Democracy (2); draw one Military card.
Comments: Too many things to do, but the opportunity to get a new colony couldn’t be passed up.

So ends Age II. Will our civilizations rise or fall in the next age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mb
Wait...I can sense the future...

Dave will lose this game most horribly!

Don't ask me why, I just feel it. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Turn 15 (Scott)
* Selective Breeding, Frugality, Mechanized Agriculture, Bountiful Harvest, Communism
** Efficient Upgrade, Mineral Deposits, Oil, Rock-n-Roll Icon
*** Winston Churchill, Computers, Professional Sports, Air Forces
Political Action: International Agreement (Dale takes Oil and Air Forces; Movies and Internet added to Card Row).
Other Actions: Play Breakthrough (play Scientific Method; 1), play James Cook (1), take Mechanized Agriculture (3), increase population (1), upgrade Lab- Alchemy to Scientific Methodology (1), build Lab- Scientific Methodology (1), take Frugality (1); draw three [Military cards.
Comments: I had my eye on Oil. Another case where getting greedy for event culture points can bite you. My science rate is up to a respectable amount now. Not sure if I can afford to finish the Kremlin and snag another wonder next turn or not. The mechanized agriculture should solve my food issues.

Turn 15 (Ray)
* Bountiful Harvest, Communism, Efficient Upgrade, Mineral Deposits, Rock ‘n’ Roll Icon
** Winston Churchill, Computers, Professional Sports, Movies
*** Internet, Modern Infantry, Mahatma Gandhi, Work of Art
Political Action: Reveal Popularization of Science.
Other Actions: Play Revolutionary Idea (1), play Coal (0), play Architecture (0), take Rock & Roll Icon (1), take Computers (2), take Movies (2), build Mine- Coal (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Still in the corruption hole for this turn. Hoping to turn it around with coal and builds soon.

Turn 15 (Dave)
* Communism, Efficient Upgrade, Mineral Deposits, Winston Churchill, Professional Sports
** Internet, Modern Infantry, Mahatma Gandhi, Work of Art
*** Tanks, Civil Service, Modern Infantry, Engineering Genius
Political Action: Reveal Terrorism (Dale destroys a library of Dave and labs of Scott and Ray).
Other Actions: Play Patriotism (conscript Cavalry- Cavalrymen; 1), build Library- Printing Press (1), increase population (1), build Library- Printing Press (1), increase population (1), take Mineral Deposits (1), conscript Infantry- Swordsmen (M); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Well, at least my military isn’t completely pathetic now. Close, but not completely.

Turn 15 (Dale)
* Efficient Upgrade, Winston Churchill, Professional Sports, Internet, Modern Infantry
** Mahatma Gandhi, Work of Art, Tanks, Civil Service
*** Modern Infantry, Engineering Genius, Fast Food Chains, Rockets
Political Action: None (forfeited due to International Agreement).
Other Actions: Construct stage of Eiffel Tower (1); play Engineering Genius (construct stage of Eiffel Tower; 1); complete Eiffel Tower (1) take Mahatma Gandhi); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Long consideration as to whether to take Gandhi, but I need the Culture.

Turn 16 (Scott)
* Winston Churchill, Professional Sports, Internet, Modern Infantry, Work of Art
** Tanks, Civil Service, Modern Infantry, Engineering Genius
*** Fast Food Chains, Rockets, Military Build-Up, Democracy
Political Action: Reveal Crime Wave (Ray and Dave affected).
Other Actions: Construct stage of Kremlin (1), complete Kremlin (1), play Mechanized Agriculture (1), take Work of Art (1), take Modern Infantry (1), take Professional Sports (1), take Tanks (2); draw three Military cards.
Comments: I decided the new Wonders weren’t overly useful, so went another way. Building the Kremlin instead of replacing my lab may prove to be a mistake.

Turn 16 (Ray)
* Internet, Civil Service, Modern Infantry, Engineering Genius, Fast Food Chains
** Rockets, Military Build-up, Democracy, Ideal Building Site
*** Multimedia, Professional Sports, Satellites, Nikola Tesla
Other Actions: Play Journalism (0), upgrade Lab- Alchemy to Scientific Method (1), build Library- Journalism (1), take Military Build Up (2), increase population (1), increase population (1), increase population (1), play Shock Troops (M); draw three Military cards.
Comments: This was a painful turn with the lab and resource losses. Trying to minimize damage.

Turn 16 (Dave)
* Civil Service, Modern Infantry, Engineering Genius, Fast Food Chains, Rockets
** Democracy, Ideal Building Site, Multimedia, Professional Sports
*** Satellites, Nikola Tesla, Endowment for the Arts, Rockets
Political Actions: Reveal Iconoclasm (James Cook and Isaac Newton removed).
Other Actions: Play Theater- Opera (1), increase population (1), build Theater- Opera (1), play Mineral Deposits (1), play Modern Army (M), play Efficient Upgrade (upgrade Mine- Bronze to Coal; 1), increase population (1); draw two Military cards.
Comments: Not sure how I’m going to catch the leaders in culture…looking at a wonder, but can’t afford the extra cost and don’t know if I’d be able to finish it before game end.

Turn 16 (Dale)
* Modern Infantry, Engineering Genius, Fast Food Chains, Rockets, Democracy
** Ideal Building Site, Multimedia, Professional Sports, Satellites
*** Nikola Tesla, Endowment for the Arts, Rockets, Mechanized Agriculture
Political Actions: Reveal Independence Declaration (Ray loses a colony).
Other Actions: Take Fast Food Chains (4), play Mahatma Gandhi (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Expensive to grab another Wonder, but I need Culture (cue the broken record here).

Turn 17 (Scott)
* Engineering Genius, Rockets, Democracy, Ideal Building Site, Multimedia
** Professional Sports, Satellites, Nikola Tesla, Endowment for the Arts
*** Rockets, Mechanized Agriculture, Ideal Building Site, Movies
Political Action: Reveal Civil Unrest (no effect).
Other Actions: Play Frugality (1), take Nikola Tesla (2), play Nikola Tesla (1), take Ideal Building Site (1), upgrade Lab- Alchemy to Scientific Method (1), upgrade Farm- Irrigation to Mechanized Agriculture (1), conscript Infantry- Swordsmen (M); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Losing Cook was a pain, but not entirely unexpected. I’ve not used Tesla before, so let’s see how much this cramps my opponents’ building plans.

Turn 17 (Ray)
* Rockets, Democracy, Multimedia, Professional Sports, Satellites
** Endowment for the Arts, Rockets, Mechanized Agriculture, Ideal Building Site
*** Movies, Fundamentalism, First Space Flight, Military Theory
Political Action: Reveal Impact of Progress.
Other Actions: Play Rock & Roll Icon (1), play Theater- Movies (1), build Theater- Movies (1), increase population (1), play Military Build-Up (1), conscript Cavalry Knights (M), conscript Cavalry Knights (M), conscript Cavalry Knights (M), take Ideal Building Site (2); draw one Military card.
Comments: Iconoclasm changed my plans drastically this turn. We’ll see how this goes with the Culture/Strength build up this turn. Timing may work out.

Turn 17 (Dave)
* Democracy, Multimedia, Professional Sports, Satellites, Endowment for the Arts
** Rockets, Mechanized Agriculture, Movies, Fundamentalism
*** First Space Flight, Military Theory, Albert Einstein, Revolutionary Idea
Political Action: Reveal Progress of Science.
Other Actions: Play Theater- Journalism (1), upgrade Library- Printing Press to Journalism (1), upgrade Library- Printing Press to Journalism (1), take Endowment for the Arts (1), take Multimedia (1), build Temple- Religion (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Wow…I figured with Iconoclasm, I’d dealt a nice blow to Scott, but then Tesla turns around and bites me costing me on my library upgrades.

Turn 17 (Dale)
* Professional Sports, Satellites, Rockets, Mechanized Agriculture, Movies
** Fundamentalism, First Space Flight, Military Theory, Albert Einstein
*** Revolutionary Idea, Multimedia, Mineral Deposits, Oil
Other Actions: Declare revolution- Despotism to Democracy (1), build Temple- Theology (1), build Library- Journalism (1), build Farm- Agriculture (1), build Mine- Bronze (1), take Military Theory (2), take Rockets (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: My late Culture charge may be just that- late.

Turn 18 (Scott)
* Satellites, Mechanized Agriculture, Movies, Fundamentalism, First Space Flight
** Albert Einstein, Revolutionary Idea, Multimedia, Mineral Deposits
*** Oil, Tanks, Computers, Efficient Upgrade
Political Action: Reveal Impact of Wonders.
Other Actions: Increase population (1), play Ideal Building Site (building Lab- Scientific Method; 1), take Oil (3), play Oil (1), upgrade Mine- Iron to Oil (1), play Work of Art (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Oil is a nice combo with Railroad. Tesla is helping to solve my rock problem. Certainly glad the Impact of Wonders came out when it did. Finally an Engineering Blue card, but too late to help the blue, I think.
It’s shaping up to be a very close game, decided by Age III events. Wish I could remember what I put in the stack…..

Turn 18 (Ray)
* Mechanized Agriculture, Movies, Fundamentalism, First Space Flight, Albert Einstein
** Revolutionary Idea, Multimedia, Mineral Deposits, Tanks
*** Computers, Efficient Upgrade, Engineering, Hollywood
Political Actions: Play Aggression- Plunder against Dave (Dave plays +6 Defense card and sacrifices two Swordsmen to successfully defend).
Other Actions: Increase population (1), increase population (1), increase population (1), play Ideal building Site (build Theater- Movies; 1), take First Space Flight (3); draw three Military cards.
Comments: No Wonders bonus and Aggression rebuffed, as suspected. Holding out for that last turn to see how things play out. Taking a chance on the Wonder, although I don’t know if I can make it pay off.

Turn 18 (Dave)
* Movies, Fundamentalism, Albert Einstein, Revolutionary Idea, Multimedia
** Mineral Deposits, Tanks, Computers, Efficient Upgrade
*** Engineering, Hollywood, Air Force, Rockets
Other Actions: Play Endowment for the Arts (1), play Multimedia (1), upgrade Library- Journalism to Multimedia (1), upgrade Library- Journalism to Multimedia (1), increase population (1), build Library- Journalism (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: Just trying to keep up with the Joneses on the Culture track and hoping I can last what looks like 1-2 more turns…

Turn 18 (Dale)
* Fundamentalism, Albert Einstein, Revolutionary Idea, Multimedia, Mineral Deposits
** Tanks, Computers, Efficient Upgrade, Engineering
*** Hollywood, Air Force, Rockets, Military Theory
Other Actions: Increase population (0), construct two stages of Fast Food Chains (1), build Temple- Theology (1), take Revolutionary Idea (1), take Mineral Deposits (1), take Efficient Upgrade (2), play Military Theory (1), take Multimedia (1); draw three Military cards.
Comments: With me trailing in Culture, I see no benefit to prolonging the game, so I take enough cards to trigger the end of Age III.
Age III ends

Turn 19 (Scott)
* Albert Einstein, Tanks, Computers, Engineering, Hollywood
** Air Force, Rockets, Military Theory, Game Designer
Political Action: Reveal Impact of Agriculture.
Other Actions: Take Engineering (1), play Engineering (1), disband Infantry- Swordsmen (M), disband Infantry- Swordsmen (M), destroy Farm- Irrigation (1), build Arena- Professional Sports (1), build Arena- Professional Sports (1), build Arena- Professional Sports (1), build Temple- Religion (1), take Computers (1).
Comments: I decided on Engineering because it allowed me to put up three arenas, which took care (and then some) of my smiley problem. Interestingly enough, my arenas are stronger than my military units. The temple got me one more CP and I snagged computers as a pre-empt. Really going to be a close one, I think.

Turn 19 (Ray)
* Tanks, Hollywood, Air Force, Rockets, Military Theory
** Game Designer
Other Actions: Take Military Theory (1), play Military Theory (1), build Theater- Movies (1), conscript Infantry- Warrior (M), take Tanks (1), take Rockets (1).
Comments: Didn’t remember Age II card removal at end of Age III. Made the wonder unattainable, as I was going to Aggression Dave once more for the required Ore. Would have been more prudent to take the Tech+ card and reduced building cost card instead. Opted for adding Mil Actions and strength, building the final theatre and removing two tech cards from the available pool. Still a respectable culture level, but the final bonus cards could easily drop me behind. Always love those too-close-to-call endings!

Turn 19 (Dave)
* Hollywood, Air Force, Game Designer
Other Actions: Upgrade Library- Journalism to Multimedia (1), build Theater- Opera (1), increase population (1), take Game Designer (1), play Game Designer (1), take Air Force (1).
Comments: Just doing things now to waste civil actions.

Turn 19 (Dale)
Political Action: Reveal Impact of Government.
Other Actions: Increase population (0), play Revolutionary Idea (1), play Multimedia (1), play Mineral Deposits (1), play Efficient Upgrade (upgrade Library- Journalism to Multimedia; 1), build Temple- Religion (1), construct stage of and complete Fast Food Chains (1).
Comments: Fast Food Chains catapults me into the Culture lead. The game will still be decided with the Age III Event cards!

And now for the Age III Events:
1. An Age II Colony (not cycled to top of Current Events deck due to programming error) is discarded.
2. Impact of Colonies: Scott, +8; Ray, +4; Dave, +12; Dale, +8
3. Impact of Technology: Scott, +16; Ray, +8; Dave, +4; Dale, +12
4. Impact of Happiness: Scott, +16; Ray, +16; Dave, +10; Dale, +16
5. Impact of Architecture: Scott, +17; Ray, +13; Dave, +13; Dale, +10
6. Impact of Population: Scott, +8; Ray, +20; Dave, +14; Dale, +22

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A wonderfully exciting game. I was surprised by the lack of aggression among everyone: the games I usually play have a little bit more (but I wouldn't classify them as militaristic).

I had several beneficial events to seed throughout the game which I think helped to keep the others somewhat in check during Age II when I struggled with Culture production. I was fortunate to get and complete the Fast Food Chains which turned out to be a Culture bonanza for me. Scott, Ray, and I each scored over 60 points from the final Age III events (and that was with one event less than usual due to the minor programming error).

The primary intent of the game was to discover bugs in the VASSAL program, and the game definitely should us a few things that can be tweaked. Hopefully a playable version will be made available in a very short time. I'm looking forward to feeding my addiction to this game even more once the VASSAL module is widely available. It was great fun, Scott, Ray, and Dave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mb
Dmart wrote:
A wonderfully exciting game. I was surprised by the lack of aggression among everyone: the games I usually play have a little bit more (but I wouldn't classify them as militaristic).

I just assumed you were all taking pity on me...

and I still lost by more than 40 cry

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fun game of TtA! This format is great! A few more tweaks and it will be even better.

Lack of population hurt my position this game. Dale's mix of Steamships, Fast Food Chains and Impact of Population made it not nearly as close as I'd expected.

I think I should have more vigorously pursued CP in the last phase. I was counting on Age III events for the majority of my scoring.

The lack of military action on my part was due more to wanting to seed the future events than any pity on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bouzada
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Nice!

When are you going to play again? Will there be a spot?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferry
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco wrote:

I was wondering the same.
Do you have an ETA when we can all play this?
It looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott's action from turn three:

"Increase population (1), play Frugality (1), build Mine- Bronze (1), take Rich Land (1); draw two Military cards."

You don't need an extra action to play Frugality, do you? The increase in population is supposed to happen as part of the card-play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
According to our game log, he increased his population once as a specific action, and then a second time through the use of Frugality. Sorry that wasn't made more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale,

How would he have done that? At the beginning of turn 2 he would have had 2 food. He spent that food during turn 2 to increase pop. So at the beginning of turn 3, he would have had 2 food again. After increasing pop., he would have been out of food, and would have needed 3 food for his next pop. increase.

Okay... I see there was a "Development of Agriculture" event on his 3rd turn. That gives him an extra 2 food. Still, since the second pop. increase that turn would have cost three food, and the Frugality card doesn't give its bonus until after you've paid full price, the only way he could have increased his pop. twice on turn 3 would have been to use the Frugality card first, and then increase pop. the normal way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
At the beginning of turn 2 he would have had 2 food. He spent that food during turn 2 to increase pop. So at the beginning of turn 3, he would have had 2 food again. After increasing pop., he would have been out of food, and would have needed 3 food for his next pop. increase.

He got two more food from the event "Development of Agriculture".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco wrote:
Nice!

Thx

Rather than knowing when you are going to play again, I want to know if you have an update as to when this might be out for everyone to play with.

(Asked nicely, and appreciatively of the work you have put into it - I'm just excited to see it and play with it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Quote:
He got two more food from the event "Development of Agriculture".

Right. See my second paragraph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just an update that Dave (the brains behind this VASSAL module) has provided to us:

Quote:
Hi guys,

Wow....I really miss our daily turn in TtA...

That being said, I am making progress on the next major version. Problems at home with flooding and fallen trees have put a slowdown on everything, but we're back up and running now at full speed.

I'm currently having a problem with VASSAL itself, and have posted some messages in the vassal forums but, strangely, haven't had any replies. Usually I get one or two of the developers to help me out right away...

What I've done is try to eliminate the long delays that were occuring in 1.32. By the time I had gotten to 1.35 some of the delays were horrible (seriously, 5-10 seconds after you select to play a card before the action would occur). This was due to the fact that I had to account for the fact that any one of 4 players could pick a card. Therefore, on each card, I had to duplicate each function 4 times depending on whose civilization the card ended up in. When there is mega traits built into a counter or card, VASSAL starts chugging to rip through them all. I've eliminated this problem in the latest version by having unique cards for each player. So, every player already has an "Irrigation" card on their civilization. When they discover Irrigation, the card from the board disappears and the one on their civilization is revealed. It appears seamless, like the card has been sent to the civ. While this means there are 4 times the cards, there is only 1/4 the amount on each card. Vassal doesn't care about how many counters/cards there are, only about what it needs to do when they're present, so this is a huge differerence. The game starts right up now when you select 'new game'...no delay at all. There are no delays when cards are played. Everything moves much smoother.

Having each player have their own version of each card has simplified the logic on each card to the point where I'm able to do a lot more now that I ever could before. For example, all TACTICS cards are now calculated automatically, you gain a resource when you play a technology card and Leonardo is your leader, if Bach is your leader it reminds you to pay 1 less for theaters, etc. I'm sure there are bugs in there, but I've been testing each one pretty thouroughly, so the only bugs may be values (adding 2 when I should only add 1 for example) and not major bug issues where I need to redo a ton of code.

Scott, you'll be glad to know that I figured out a way to automate the end of turn sequence, so it automatically deducts food and resources for consumption/corruption. It's also smart enough to do this by removing the largest amount of tokens. It took me awhile and a lot of flowcharts, but it should work. Problem is, it doesn't. This is what I need the help with from the VASSAL guys. When I get this working, I could even expand this to automatically remove tokens when you build something or increase population. We'll see, but the system should work for everything.

So, I think I'm going to table that for now and concentrate on just getting the module playable again so you guys can take a look at it.

I have also developed a system for auto-dealing the card-row. This will probably, also, not be available in the first version I send to you guys.

Just wanted to let you guys know....it's coming....

Hopefully soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bouzada
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Any news here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco wrote:
Any news here?

Seriously, what's going on? Is this thing going to be released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
staffan t
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also eager to see this released in the near future !

I am more than willing to help playtest this again, just mail me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.