Subject: What's Your Single Best And Worst Math Trade Result? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm talking about a single trade, not a number of trades in a Math Trade. In order to simplify syntax, just say "Game X for Game Y", with Game X being the game you received, and Game Y being the game you traded away.

For me.....

Best: Quo Vadis for Zombie Fluxx. Not a mindblowing trade by any means, but I am quite happy with the result.

Worst: For Sale for 1960: Making of the President. This was due to an error on my part, but I actually am still very happy with this trade. For Sale has seen a lot more play than 1960 ever did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Christie
Australia
Perth
W.A.
flag msg tools
Frammin' at the jim-jam
badge
Frippin' in the krotz
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, being Australian and participating in a grand total of 1 Math Trade (as there has only ever been 1 Maths trade in Australia to take part in..except some smaller ones that didn't extend to my locale) my trades would be:

My best trade was probably give Perikles (which I find unplayable) for receive Shadows over Camelot.

None of my trades were bad. Some people might balk at may trade of give Cutthroat Caverns + Expansion for recv: Monkeys to the Moon and two other 8 foot Llama games (Nacho and Penguins), given that the 8 foot llama games can be found real cheap - However - they are hard to find at all in Australia, I find Cutthroat Caverns as boring as Bat Guano and I really Like monkeys to the moon.

Okay so there is the tale of my two average trades. I'd love to have chimed in with some hilarious story of how I traded Crocodile pool party for 10 minutes alone in a room with just George Bush and a baseball bat, but we just don't get to do that much trading around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worst: Traded my Ra (before Tanga) for Modern Art. Unfortunately, I had to ship it to Austrailia. Could have bought Modern Art (and a second copy of Ra and another game) for what shipping alone cost me.

Best: BattleLore for 1889.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One time I traded my favorite game for a dead squirrel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
One time I traded my favorite game for a dead squirrel.

My best trade = obvious!
Traded a dead squirrel to some guy in the States for his Titan. Packing was a bit messy though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the wonders of the Math Trade, I was able to trade my opened, played copy of the German edition of The Pillars of the Earth for a shrinkwrapped, English copy of The Pillars of the Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my one and only math trade, I sent my loved but unplayed Carolus Magnus down south island, and received an equally underenjoyed copy of Through the Desert in return. Now both games have new homes where they will get played much more often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just say for a moment that I am an ignorant hillbilly from the backwaters of Indiana and say I don't know what a "math trade" is.

What is the definition of "math trade", as it applies here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Through the wonders of the Math Trade, I was able to trade my opened, played copy of the German edition of The Pillars of the Earth for a shrinkwrapped, English copy of The Pillars of the Earth.
How is that a "best or worst" math trade? Sounds about as neutral as possible to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
Check out this thread for an explanation of a math trade:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Math_Trades

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how, in general, any trade in a math trade can be bad. If it is, it's your own damn fault!

Now, having said that, my math trade horror story is in a junk math trade, where I traded away a copy of a game that I had given away already (I didn't realize that at the time and ripped the house apart several times looking for the missing game, but I now believe that's what happened). Silly me forgot to actually lay eyes & paws on the game before listing it. I was so mortified! I wound up buying the recipient a new copy of Thurn & Taxis, IIRC. All that for a bunch of junk that I received. Live and learn....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best so far has been trading off Arkham Horror and getting Fury of Dracula in return. Even after only one two-player game of Fury, I feel like I traded up.

Worst was a bunch of junk card games and crap for Orcwars, but it wasn't really a bad trade or a mistake. It was crap for slightly less crap. It's not one I regret. At least I cleared off some shelf space.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best: Caribbean for an already-stickered Commands and Colors: Ancients

Worst: Pizza Box Football + 2006 Expansion for M. Not that I don't like M, but it had been a while since I looked at its going price and I didn't realize it had gotten easier to obtain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
Let's just say for a moment that I am an ignorant hillbilly from the backwaters of Indiana and say I don't know what a "math trade" is.

www.google.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich steed
United Kingdom
Stoke-On-Trent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thing I've got is probably World of Warcraft

Worst is probably a dutch copy of tongiaki.

As both were in trades where I got multiple things it's hard to say what I traded on for them - I felt pretty good getting WoW and better when I traded it for Descent in a later math trade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been pretty fortunate with my math trades.

I want to say my best trade was an extra copy of Cluzzle(excellent game btw), for RuneBound 2nd Edition.

Seconded by Cosari for Wyatt Earp.

And lastly, I recently trade fjords and fruad squad(freebie from bgg.con) for fjords, slide 5(which is what i wanted) and wreckage(soon to be a sweetner ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a $10 box of Conan CCG boosters I fished out of my FLGS bargain bin for Railroad Tycoon.

The worst was just recently. Ignorance always plays a part in these.
I traded away Tycoon for the Diamond Joe expansion for Niagara, not knowing it was one little boat. And a copy of Monkeys on the Moon.
So I figure a $40 game for 2 games worth $15-20 tops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Probably a $10 box of Conan CCG boosters I fished out of my FLGS bargain bin for Railroad Tycoon.
That's a pretty amazing trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best: I traded a copy of Talisman City that I found at a thrift store for $2.50 for a copy of Colosseum.

Worst: Hmm...I guess my copy of Carcassonne: the City for Blue Moon + a couple of expansion decks. Not that value-wise this was a horrible trade, just that I ended up not liking Blue Moon and traded it away in a local math trade recently for a 4th edition in shrink copy of Settlers. So I guess it wasn't such a bad trade after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm:

my loved, but unplayed (it was a farewell gift from an original gaming group 'back in the day' never played) of Up Front for my loved (and thoroughly played) RailRoad Tycoon.

then I found out there ARE Grognards in Sacto who would love to play Up Front. So I traded some Cosmic Encounter 'spare parts' and ended up getting Up Front/Banzai.

honorable mention: my loved but no longer played Civilization+trade cards for Battle Lore + Hill Giant + Earth Elemental

so despite my recent skunkings in attemtping to unload my dregs, (not trading is the worst overall, I'm a happy camper

and every trade is a chance to make a new friend/geekbuddy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only participated in two trades, but I was quite happy to give up Seismic for Hoity Toity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King Zombie wrote:
Worst is probably a dutch copy of tongiaki.

Hey!

Times Square, Druidenwalzer & Igloo Pop for Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.

Or Elasund + 3 other games for Tongiaki...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
BEST/WORSE: I traded my entire collection away and in return I got a rock.

Did I mention the rock was a 24 carat diamond?

In all seriousness, I've never done a math trade. I participated in the last JeffyJeff one but some how my results were not submitted... oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.