Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Bosch
Spain
Girona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm currently preparing the next big order and I have doubts about wether to buy Sword of Rome or Pax Romana (or both - of course-if they were enought different and awsome).

I understand that Sword of Rome is a sort of evolution of Hannibal: RvsC for 4 players and Pax Romana is sort of a monster with civ. flavour. I really like civilization type of games and I do love Annibal as well.

Before purchasing I'm planning to read the rules and maybe playtest at VASSAL, but I would like to hear what Geeks have to say about those two games.

Thanks in advance

marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll be lucky to find either of these. They're both out of print, so if you find either one, grab it. I think Pax Romana will be reprinted before Sword of Rome, so if you find Sword of Rome, perhaps get that one first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
mboschbo wrote:

I understand that Sword of Rome is a sort of evolution of Hannibal: RvsC for 4 players and Pax Romana is sort of a monster with civ. flavour. I really like civilization type of games and I do love Annibal as well.

I played Pax Romana once, but I didn't see the "civ. flavour" you refer to. I liked Sword of Rome better, as it is a card-driven game rather than Pax as a game with cards, but I will pick up the second ed. of Pax when it comes available. Remember Sword of Rome is in the pre-Rome-as-great-power days, not even controlling the Italian pen., while Pax covers that era all the way down to Caesar, so the games don't exactly overlap historically all the time. And with C3I, there are some alternative, three player scenarios to try, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
The three player scenarios for pax are actually pretty good. There is one available here by mgringo that is really good as well (look up the varients under pax). I haven't played Sword of Rome, but Pax Romana and a really good game. The balance between powers in the 4 player game is excellent and the tension is really superb. It is kind of a Civ style game, but there isn't really tech, you have to balance your spending between military and civ development. The scoring is really too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.