United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any war game that doesn't have hidden info can be played solitaire. (I do a lot of that )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Any war game that doesn't have hidden info can be played solitaire. (I do a lot of that )

Actually there are three non-starters when if come to solitaire suitability:
- Hidden information, like cards or blocks.
- Games where there are reaction moves, where a player can pre-empt his opponent for opportunity fire or similar action.
- Games that require simultaneous choices by each opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ASL entry is ambiguous. Do you mean, playing standard ASL scenarios, or playing the ASL Solitaire module?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My feeling is:

unless they have specific solitaire rules, any wargame that has hidden info is unplayable solo , butthats just me

for example, one of the main mechanics of The Burning Blue is deception and misdirection by the luftwaffe player, whereas in the game Downtwon by the very same designer, there are solitaire rules available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous poster that only war games made specifically for solitaire play really work. How can you make a plan when you know what you're going to do? I never understood that.

Anyway, one recommendation. The poll should have been done alphabetically. Most people are probably looking for games they have owned or played - it's hard to find them in this list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tide of Iron is in there twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azzarc wrote:
Tide of Iron is in there twice.

No it isn't.

Tide of Iron and Iron Tide: Panzers in the Ardennes are quite different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Wilkinson

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Al Johnson wrote:
I agree with the previous poster that only war games made specifically for solitaire play really work. How can you make a plan when you know what you're going to do? I never understood that.

I guess this underlines the limit of a poll like this.

I'm sure plenty of people play wargames solo even if they know what the "other guy" is going to do. If there's no hidden info, then it is sort of like playing chess solo.

Some people who would never play chess solo, some would, and I guess that will have a big influence on how they answer the poll.

Too bad that isn't an option, the "I'd never play chess solo" button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By playing both sides, you make a general strategy for both sides from the beginning, then employ that strategy the best you can.

It's kind of a way to play out "What if" scenarios. It's also a way to attempt new tactics without spoiling a long game when you have a live opponent.

Didn't Bobby Fischer play chess solitaire a lot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And we know how he ended up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
- Games that require simultaneous choices by each opponent.

I recall reading long ago an article about playing non-solitaire wargames solo which addressed this issue. The idea was to decide several good/reasonable choices for each opponent, and then randomly select each opponent's choice from among their set of reasonable choices.

This seemed like a clever idea to me (but I've never tried it since I don't play non-solitaire games solo).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Zavoda
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks very much for this post. I'm just getting back into wargaming after a long absence and solo play is always an interest if not a requirement for me. A survey like this is immensely helpful Most games and the newer game companies are complete mysteries to me and many seem to fail to list their solitaire suitability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see all the wargames listed on BGG have a solitaire rateing That way one would have some idea if a person wanted to buy it and had trouble finding someone to play it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
I would like to see all the wargames listed on BGG have a solitaire rateing That way one would have some idea if a person wanted to buy it and had trouble finding someone to play it with.

Game Photos, thanks for making this poll. It is the first good use for one I have seen here on BGG.

I agree that it would be nice to know if games played well solo.

Now, if we only lived closer to one another we could actually play face to face games instead of solo games that were really meant for more players.

I should go and setup a solo game of Memoir '44; which I have had much fun playing alone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting poll - but as a previous poster mentioned, you might want to list them alphabetically.

You should add World in Flames, which is quite suitable to solo play as-is. There are others missing too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Zavoda
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faithful wrote:

Game Photos, thanks for making this poll. It is the first good use for one I have seen here on BGG.

Now, if we only lived closer to one another we could actually play face to face games instead of solo games that were really meant for more players.

I should go and setup a solo game of Memoir '44; which I have had much fun playing alone! :)

Is it possible to play Memoir 44 solo? I thought it used cards? (Or was this a tongue in cheek reply?).

I don't think I'd ever buy a completely non-solo wargame. I'd have to know that someone else would be interested and split the cost. I do have a few family/euro games that can't be played solo but have no trouble finding players for those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is it possible to play Memoir 44 solo? I thought it used cards? (Or was this a tongue in cheek reply?).

It's possible but I don't think it's a good canidate. Actually none of the games that use the Command & Colors system (C&C: Ancients, Battlelore, M'44) and well suited for solo play.

For good solo play canidates I would look for games that use a chit-pull activation mechanic. Both World at War: Eisenbach Gap and A Victory Lost fit this bill. Although they are both currently OOP they will be available again within a month or two.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamephotos wrote:
So, flawed as the Poll is, it's served a useful purpose for me, so thanks to those who have provided the information.

I've noticed a trend in the comments on polls: impatience with their imperfection. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a perfect poll. I speak from experience, since polls have been a big part of two of my jobs, including the current one.

You can make a very detailed poll, but it will be too long and complicated for anyone to answer. You can make a simpler poll, but it won't capture every relevant detail.

Therefore, you choose your questions carefully, and respect the intelligence of the reader to understand what the poll did and did not cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Athol
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonzavoda wrote:
Faithful wrote:

I should go and setup a solo game of Memoir '44; which I have had much fun playing alone!

I don't think I'd ever buy a completely non-solo wargame. I'd have to know that someone else would be interested and split the cost. I do have a few family/euro games that can't be played solo but have no trouble finding players for those.

No, this was not tongue-in-cheek. I have played this solo and have fun doing so, but you have to understand, I play every game I own solo (except for a rare few my wife will occasionally play).

I cannot find anyone else that wants to play board games; I try but with no success. I have even given my name, phone, and email address at the two places that sell games within driving distance (45 minute away at least), but I have never heard back from either of them. *sigh*

So, I am stuck playing solo until such time I can find another person willing to play that is nearby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Zavoda
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faithful wrote:

No, this was not tongue-in-cheek. I have played this solo and have fun doing so, but you have to understand, I play every game I own solo (except for a rare few my wife will occasionally play).

I cannot find anyone else that wants to play board games; I try but with no success. I have even given my name, phone, and email address at the two places that sell games within driving distance (45 minute away at least), but I have never heard back from either of them. *sigh*

So, I am stuck playing solo until such time I can find another person willing to play that is nearby.

Snipped most of the old quotes for brevity but wanted to mention this was about memoir 44.

Anyway, I'm kinda in the same boat myself. Hard to find wargaming opponents, but some games I just can't (or don't have the patience to) transform into solitaire play. From what I have heard about M44 it would be difficult to adabt it to solo play.

I just wish that the game reviews here had a solitaire suitability category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minty Hunter
New Zealand
Carterton
Wairarapa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that Ambush plays fairly well as a solitaire wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played M'44 solo a couple times, and it actually works ok. You can throw out the Ambush card from the deck and deal a fresh hand to the opponent each turn, picking the best card option. Since there's nothing triggered by going through the deck multiple times (as is the case in CC:E), running through the cards like that poses no major problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good poll.

Another factor IMO to solitaire suitability is counter density. Bigger density is better for solitaire as there are less clever, secret moves to make - you are crashing two heavy lines together. For example, I rated DAK and Case Blue as one tick higher than Korea in this poll even though they are the exact same game system. Hube's Pocket (not on the list) is the highest density OCS game and is pretty good for solitaire.

I'm always surprised to hear wargamers say they ONLY play solitaire (not just to learn the game, try a weird strategy, etc). Sure, I'd rather play face to face, but if I can't get a game going I'll play on the computer with someone. Why don't you guys use Vassal? There are thousands of opponents out there for you. Here's a link that will get you going:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/23350

To the Memoir '44 guys that posted above: I will be happy to give you a game. Send me Geekmail if interested.

Cheers,
Jason
www.wargamedepot.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some quick comments:

"Silent War" and "Field Commander Rommel" are true solitaire games.

"Up Front" in my opionion can be very well played solitaire, in fact there's even a section in the Banzai expansion which gives a few small notes on solitaire play (nothing drastic though and those don't turn it into a true solitaire game).

Unless someone else teaches you a wargame, you will very likely end up playing any game at least a few turns solitaire, just to get to know the rules.

If a game has a high resolution image of its back box in the gallery, you'll probably find the publisher's assessment of solitaire suitability there. Although I found out that some games have this rating exaggerated to increase sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big ASL fan as well as Combat Commander and I believe that Combat Commander is actually a bit better for solitaire play than all ASL Starter Kits. The CC cards system actually makes it more interesting, of course minor tweaking is possibly needed. ASLSK I believe requires a bit more tweaking than CC.

Note: ASL has Solitaire Rules module, which is a great way to play ASL solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.