Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: FAQ_Official [+] [View All]
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
May 17, 2008 - Official Q&A for Blackbeard Main Game(GMT Games)

Compiled by Neil Randall, developer.

Quote:
Q: The North Atlantic sea zone seems to be next to the Eastern Caribbeans sea zone. Is that correct? Is Bermuda next to the Eastern Caribbean sea zone?

A: Here's the way the sea zones work—I wish we'd done the lines differently for this:

North Atlantic borders Central Atlantic and Bermuda.
Central Atlantic borders North Atlantic South Atl. and Bermuda.
South Atlantic borders Central Atlantic and West Caribbean.
West Caribbean. borders East Caribbean., Central America, South America.
East Caribbean. borders West Caribbean., South America.

Quote:
Q: How many cards may a Pirate Player play each player-turn?

A: A Pirate Player may play as many Pirate Events as he wishes, but only one card may be played for actions. So yes, it is entirely possible that a Pirate could play his entire hand in one fell swoop: three cards for Events and one card for actions. In practice, you will almost never have the card configuration to do this, but it’s possible.

Quote:
Q: How does an “Actions AND Event” card work?

A: The Event is mandatory. In addition to the Event, you MAY use the card for Actions. The Actions are not mandatory, however.

Quote:
Q: In section 10 of the rules, it says the speed rating on the KC counter is on the left, while the combat rating is on the right. Yet, in section 2.4 where the counters are described it shows the combat rating on the left and speed on the right.

A: The KC ratings are in the same order as the warship ratings - speed on the left (the smaller number) and combat on the right.

Quote:
Q: if a player finds a merchant, but can't loot it that turn, and then is driven off by a KC/Warship/AP card, does the +1 to find the revealed merchant stay indefinitely, until the merchant is picked off?

A: Yes.

Quote:
Q: If I choose voluntary D&R while at sea and then visit a pirate port do I get the +3 loyalty bonus?

Quote:
Q: Am I right that it is impossible to sack the N. Atlantic ports like Boston simply because there isn't a pirate in the game that is cruel enough to do it?

Quote:
Q: Per 8.22, looting can be interrupted at "any time during the looting process" by a warship or KC. And per 6.46, if the warships interrupting succeeds, the entire Pirate Action is cancelled. Here is my question: The KC/Warship interrupt can occur at ANY time during this process. If the pirate is driven off, does the entire transaction "roll back" as if it never occured ? Or, once a step in the 7-step process is completed, does its effect stick, even if the pirate is driven off ?

A: 6.46 actually means (and is hereby clarified to say) "If the Pirate�s total is the same as or lower than the Warship’s total the Warship has driven off the Pirate and the remainder of the Pirate Action is cancelled." The idea is that the Pirate Action is cancelled at that point. So yes, you can get part way through and then be driven off.

Quote:
Q: Is there anything preventing one ship from getting multiple bouts of scurvy simultaneously?

A: Yes – only one scurvy counter at a time may affect a given pirate.

Quote:
Q: What would happen if a pirate get hit with a mutiny AFTER it found the merchant?

A: The new pirate may loot it in his next move.

Quote:
Q: We had a pirate, attack and sack a port, that another pirate was stuck in, while D&R. What happens to the D&R pirate after the sack? We just placed him out to sea.

A: Correct – he goes out to sea, still in D&R status.

Quote:
Q: As per rule 6.46 a if a Pirate defeats a Warship in combat, he still "suffers 1 Combat Damage" from the scuffle, let's say (and he's forced to continue whatever he was doing, with that damage in place). However, rule 10.34 b shows no such damage from a battle between a Pirate and a King's Commissioner (KC) with the same result (that is, the Pirate wins). Is the difference in battle-damage intentional?

Quote:
Q: May a Pirate change a declared action if he is interrupted during that action by an AP action?

A: No.

Quote:
Q: The rules under 15.1 state what happens to the Booty-Grabbing Pirate if he wins the duel, and what happens if there is a tie. But what to do if the Booty-Grabber loses the duel? Is he eliminated by the other Pirate (i.e. his target) and does this one take over his possessions? Or does a lost duel just mean that the Booty Grab has failed, and the Booty Grabber suffers a -2 on his Loyalty Level?

A: It's a duel, so the loser is dead. However, if the Grabber loses, the winner does NOT get to do a reverse Booty Grab on the dead guy.

Quote:
Q: During the looting process, a player may choose to convert a merchant he has just captured. According to 8.37: "After seizure, the Merchant Ship counter is removed and returned to the Merchant pool." According to 8.5: "Conversion is a separate Action, and the Action must be that Pirate's Action immediately subsequent to the Loot Action for that Merchant Ship, even if the new Action comes in sub-sequent player turn." How is this handled in the case when a conversion is to be done in a sub-sequent turn? Do you set the Merchant aside rather than returning it to the Merchant pool?

A: The merchant ship is not returned to the merchant cup until the conversion is completed. So if the pirate player says he intends to convert the ship and is out of actions for that turn, it is simply left on the board next to the pirate ship counter until that pirate takes another action where he either converts the ship or it is returned to the cup. (Thanks to Brian Morris for the answer.)

Quote:
Q: When looting a merchant ship then converting it, which hold size determines how much loot you can keep? Example: Your current ship is a sloop. Through previous good fortune your holds are already full, when you find a schooner, which you attack and then loot. Since the schooner has one more hold than the sloop, do you have to discard the contents of one hold in your sloop to take the cargo from the merchant schooner? or can you keep everything if you convert the schooner?

A: You may keep everything if you convert the schooner. Technically this doesn’t fit the sequence, but it was definitely the intention.

An excellent suggested rule addition from Ted Groth is:

1) You get to keep the extra loot when converting a larger ship, if you announce at the time that your next action will be converting the ship.

2) If you fail to to convert the ship, presumably because of an anti-pirate action, you lose the cargo from the ship just taken. You can't choose to jettison anything else that was already in your hold instead, since you would not have transferred the new cargo to your old ship if you planned to convert the new ship, but now the new ship is lost, so the new cargo is lost too.

3) Not getting the cargo from the new ship also means you lose a point of loyalty too. After all, the crew would be disappointed by the loss of the cargo they just fought for, just as if you had chosen not to seize the cargo in the first place!

While not official, I certainly approve of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Bill, would you mind terribly posting those questions to a separate thread - call it KCs or something? I'm trying to keep the Q&A thread free of questions and instead something I just keep adding to.

Thanks,
Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
nrandall wrote:
May 17, 2008 - Official Q&A for Blackbeard Main Game(GMT Games)

Compiled by Neil Randall, developer.

Quote:
Q: The North Atlantic sea zone seems to be next to the Eastern Caribbeans sea zone. Is that correct? Is Bermuda next to the Eastern Caribbean sea zone?

A: Here's the way the sea zones work—I wish we'd done the lines differently for this:

North Atlantic borders Central Atlantic and Bermuda.
Central Atlantic borders North Atlantic South Atl. and Bermuda.
South Atlantic borders Central Atlantic and West Caribbean.
West Caribbean. borders East Caribbean., Central America, South America.
East Caribbean. borders West Caribbean., South America.

For complete accuracy, West Caribbean should be this:

West Caribbean. borders South Atlantic, East Caribbean, Central America, South America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karol Ferfecki
Poland
Ustron
flag msg tools
If I want to decrease D&R status by 2 (after involuntary), may I split those actions between my two player's turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karfer wrote:
If I want to decrease D&R status by 2 (after involuntary), may I split those actions between my two player's turns?

I would say yes; and indeed you may have to in certain situations.

For example: You've got three actions this turn and use the first to sack a Port (that you attacked last turn). You are now out at sea with involuntary D&R. Under D&R, your only allowed actions are 'Move' or 'Recover'. So you use your next action to sail into a Port and your last action to Recover. You still need to Recover once more time (next turn) to remove the D&R.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karol Ferfecki
Poland
Ustron
flag msg tools
Thank you for a clear answer. I have another question. If I play Piratical Ambition card and my In-Hand Pirate wins the Duel, does the mutinous ship pass under my control (under control my In-Hand Pirate) and active player loses it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karfer wrote:
Thank you for a clear answer. I have another question. If I play Piratical Ambition card and my In-Hand Pirate wins the Duel, does the mutinous ship pass under my control (under control my In-Hand Pirate) and active player loses it?

Yes. The original (active) Pirate is dead. Your in-hand pirate is put in play and takes the ship, including any Hostages, Booty, Heavy Guns, and Treasure Map aboard.

You don't get the late owner's Net Worth or Letter of Marque (if any).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karol Ferfecki
Poland
Ustron
flag msg tools
Thank you for your answer! It was helpfull information for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.