Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott McClenaghan
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) When orcs frenzy, do they:

a) Continue the campaign against the first valid adjacent territory until they conquer it (or are no longer able to attack)

or

b) Attack the first adjacent territory only once and then move on to the next valid territory (clockwise) regardless of whether they conquered the first territory or not (assuming they are still able to attack)?

2) Is it possible to move men other then via combat? For example say I have 15 troops on a territory that is not adjacent to any territory I can attack, or to any territory adjacent to one I can attack. How can I ever move these men?

I would appreciate any help - thanks!

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rybak
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) a) is correct. It stems from understanding the difference between an Attack and a Battle. An Attack is a series of Battles (rounds where the Defender and Attacker each roll a die and compare the result to their die range). During a normal Attack Campaign a player can call off the Attack after any Battle (round). He normally will not be able to start another Attack (unless a Petition card allows him to).

The orcs however do not voluntary call off an Attack. They will continue the Attack until they are defeated or the space is captured whereupon they will move to the next clockwise space if they are capable of continuing an Attack.

2) The supplement move before/during an Attack is the only way to move armies from one of your spaces to another of your spaces. It would seem that troops could get caught behind the line and be useless, but I have found that the lines change greatly (especially in a 6-player game) and eventually you will be able to use them for some purpose. Between the Dragon, the Orcs and the Attack Campaigns of other players very few troops will be left out. Plus you really want a good level of troops defending the treasures of other players.

Something to keep in mind is that you may supplement the space that is Attacking with Boating Privileges which opens options on what is adjacent to an opponent.

T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McClenaghan
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Tom. That was very helpful. Much appreciated!

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original rules are completely ambigious about the orc frenzy. The original rules use the terms attack and battle interchangeably. It uses the term attack campaign to indicate a series of attacks/battles between two territories.

The Liumas rules unambiguously have the orcs launch a single die attack against each space, potentially rotating multiple times. This is the closest I've seen to an officially researched ruling.

In practice, the orcs launching a continuous attack campaign against the first space has a more predictable, higher impact effect on fewer spaces. But the rotating method spreads the damage around more evenly. I'm not sure which method provides for more interesting gameplay, so I might suggest trying both or at least keeping both options open.

This also seems to provoke examination of the orcs ignoring empty territories versus them moving in to conquered territories. It seems like the game is trying to emulate Risk, but also seems inconsistent. Perhaps for slightly more powerful orcs, have the orcs only exterminate the defenders but not move in. Fresh orcs will still populate the empty spaces, but the frenzying orcs will maintain their might longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After further consideration, the rotating single attack method is the more thematically appropriate method. The orcs are rampaging, not methodically and obsessively trying to conquer particular territories. It doesn't fit the theme to be able to park next to a territory full of orcs and expect to be safe from attacks due to the game's mechanics. The rotating method better represents rampaging orcs.

The rule about moving an orc into a conquered space also exists to provide guaranteed orc attrition. The same effect could be had by just removing an orc every time the orcs clean out a space. Without this, a space of four orcs surrounded by single man spaces would likely wipe out every neighboring space without any attrition. The forced attrition guarantees the orcs suffer some losses due to the fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.