Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb

Why is it I always get beaten by my 5 year old in this (and most other) games?

I intentionally lured the boy to the game by just innocently leaving it out on the table on the screen porch. That way, when he saw the box and suggested we play, I could claim that it was not I who asked him (which is something I’ve been doing a lot lately).

The boy, as usual, chose the ghoul. The boy has a dangerous love of the dark side and the ghoul fits his obsession perfectly. To top it off, the ghoul is Evil. The boy loves the evil characters. In a previous game he almost quit because his ghoul got turned to good. I let him pick my character for me: The Minstrel. I actually like the Minstrel. He’s got that cool animal charming ability AND he can steal the princess or maiden. Yeah, my 5 year old didn’t buy it either.

Anyway, we start the game and all Mr. Ghoul can think of is getting to that inner region. To him, it’s all about the end game. The crown and all its awesome power beckons to him and he must get it! Luckily, he managed to get the spell book and pull an invisibility spell, which he used against the Sentinel to get into the middle region. It was then all I could do to try to convince him that trying to open the Portal of Power with only 5 craft was not a good idea. He bought it and started exploring the middle region just a little more.

I on the other hand, ended up traversing the hills, plains, and fields of the outer region, often with such exciting decisions as: “Do I go to the fields? Or to the fields?” At least I never got turned into a toad. And I charmed a wolf. That was sweet. And I got the Gnome. Everyone knows the gnome rocks. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

Meanwhile, the ghoul lost all of his items to raiders. It is no fun to tell a 5 year old that they just lost all of their items and gold to raiders. Even a 5 year old can sense the random injustice of it all. He spent about the next twenty turns trying to get it all back, which, he thankfully did.

By the time the ghoul had about 9 craft gathered I told him he was probably safe to go for it. Which he did. He sailed through the portal, the mines and the vampire tower. He ALMOST bit the dust at the pit fiends, as his combat strength was only 4. That last pit fiend threatened to kill him, but he squeaked by and reached the crown. His thirst for power was insane! He started making lightning bolt sounds as he rained fiery death down upon the Minstrel.

Now I, as the minstrel, had not been slacking off…despite having the gnome, I ended up boosting strength and was through the portal by the time Mr. Ghoul hit the pit fiends. However, a bad roll at the Crypt sent me back to the outer region. I managed to get as far as the Portal of Power before the final command spell drained the life out of me. My wolf and gnome then ran away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entertaining report. Kinda makes me want to make my own gaming opponents, too. Especially if they can be evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flakybiscuit
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

So I'm not the only one who refers to their son as 'the boy'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play BI version or how did you come to use the oldschool raiders? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSimon wrote:
Did you play BI version or how did you come to use the oldschool raiders? laugh

Yeah, this was when 4th just came out...Of course now I'm looking to sell that edition, as the revised edition has made it obsolete!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.