Popular Tags: origin2008 [+] [View All]
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Columbus Area Boardgaming Society is once again proud to be a part of the Origins Board and War Rooms. With Origins in our own back yard, we are excited to be able to help this wonderful convention and "do our part" for expanding the hobby of boardgaming.

Since coming to Columbus in 1996 our local gamers have been involved in some manner with Origins. Originally ... (Do you like the use of that word? ;o) members assisted The Avalon Hill Game Company in running their game room. With the demise of TAHGC, the room morphed into the CABS room and into the WAR ROOM for wargamers. Just a couple years ago we asked GAMA and were given permission to add a "BOARD" gaming room to complement our WAR ROOM. Little did we know what we were getting ourselves into.

In 2007, The WAR ROOM had over 150 gamers purchase a ribbon and the BOARD ROOM had over 400 gamers purchase a ribbon for these rooms. We are excited that the word has gone out and the BOARD/WAR ROOMS are being viewed as successful and that for many, the fun had in these rooms was a highlight of their convention experience.

In 2008, we are excited about the BOARD and WAR ROOMS. Looking at the ORIGINS ROLL CALL FOLDER shows many NEW convention goers expecting to come to ORIGINS. We are hoping that the ROOMS will grow and become more successful in 2008.

We have many CABS members on call and ready for duty for ORIGINS. We hope to enhance your game convention experience. But, please remember, that ORIGINS is a full service game con, and that many of our members love all types of games. You will see many faces over and over during the con, but many CABbieS come and go spending a few hours in between their other events to assist you in your gaming experience working behind the desk. We hope that your BOARD and WAR ROOM time will be the best gaming you have over the entire the summer.

POP/SODA - Again, for 2008, RIO GRANDE GAMES will be providing FREE SODA/POP/WATER for BOARD ROOM attendees. Just consuming a bottle a night for the three nights JAY provided these for last year, gave us back 1/3 of our ribbon cost.

GAME LIBRARY – The CABS club library will again be on hand for use in the room. Many companies have contributed their games to it – many do not. At Origins many more have promised to add to the library for your use. So if you don’t see a game in our library that you think a library should have, let us know, we can try to get it. But if is a popular game, chances are we tried to get it and the company chose not to contribute the game to us. CABS cannot afford to purchase every game that comes along. Our yearly library game purchase budget is very small and we rely on the companies to donate games to us for your use. Last year over $5000 of games was donated to the club. That was exciting. However, we as a club spent nearly $2000 in mobile storage cabinets to be able to allow us to bring these games to you. Please if you do not see a game companies line of games in the library, PLEASE do not bash them on-line. We respect every companies choice to contribute or not to contribute to the room as we ask for them to contribute the games for free. If you have contacts at game companies, friendly emails suggesting they have their games in the BOARD/WAR Room will go MUCH better than bashing them on-line. You can view the CABS collection on the geek as we have set the club up as a user.

PRIZE SUPPORT – Tom Vasel is an amazing person. He has connections with game companies that we at CABS did not even know existed. In 2007 the prize support table was nearly 100% all his doing. The BOARD/WAR ROOMS are indebted to him forever. However, we are sure he called in a LOT of favors to provide the rooms attendees with games. CABS does not have these contacts. We do not expect there to be a prize table in 2008. We may have a few games to give away – but nothing anywhere close to what happened in 2007 due to Tom’s efforts. We all thank TOM and will look upon the prize table in 2007 as a goal for us to strive for in future years.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT IN 2007. We look forward to gaming with you in 2008 in the ORIGINS BOARD/WAR ROOM in June. We hope in the coming weeks we can add a few surprises to the BOARD and WAR ROOMS for you ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I"ve got a question.

In the Origins events, there is the ribbon for the board room. there are also specific events called "board room structured open gaming" in 2 hour blocks (event 4833 for example)

What would those be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
board room structured open gaming

It would be for those that choose NOT to buy the ribbon and want to spend a couple hours in the room gaming ... We will try to find them a game and opponents for that two hours ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that might be it.

I had a good time in the room the first year you guys had it, and got my ribbon for this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anni Foasberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to say that CABS did a fantastic job on this last year and I have no doubt that it will be fantastic again this year.

Hooray for CABS--and thank you so much for organizing one of my favorite gaming events!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am going to be a first time attendee at Origins this year. I haven't attended a gaming convention of any kind in over 25 years (which was GenCon).

I live in Illinois, and due to a variety of reasons had to make the choice between GenCon and Origins. Even though it is smaller and further away, I made the decision to go with Origins. This decision was largely, if not primarily, driven by what I had heard/read about the Board Room.

I am greatly looking forward to this event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Double post. Nothing to see here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering Origins. If I go it will be 90% for the boardgaming. I hope this is the right thread.

Basically, I've heard boardgaming at Origins is good. However, that is where the (ok my) information stops.

Could a person or two be kind enough to walk me through what my Origins boardgaming options would be?

I would likely be interested in an open gaming room where you can find like-minded folks to play games (which hopefully there are quite a few available to play).

I might register for an event or two for a game I really like. I noticed Brass was on the event list and this is hard for me to get to the table at my local group. What are the pros/cons of signing up for events as opposed to just freewheeling the whole thing? If I go for all 4 days will I be sitting by myself on a table Thursday snore but busy the other 3 days? I started an account at Origins website. What exactly would I need to sign up for to get my boardgame fix? Full badge? Meeple baseball cap?

I went to GenCon last year (07). I played a variety of games, but I wasn't as enthusiastic as I'd hoped about the overall experience. The boardgamers were crammed in (the main room) at these really long tables making it hard to get around. Then I had some boardgame events where I had to walk to Timbuktu to get to them (some I never found). I think I read GenCon is in the neighborhood of 25k folks attending (over 4 days). Does anyone know how Origins compares to that?

In my fantasy world Origins is a slightly less crowded affair with one or two medium-sized rooms set aside for boardgaming with cozy round tables and laughter and brainsmoke simultaneously spilling into the hallways. At some point I get a tap on my shoulder and a friendly guy says, "hey, we're the other 3 folks in the world who play Indonsia, and we noticed your Splottergames t-shirt. You want in on a game?

Not so much to ask, is it?

Bonus: I might be bringing my 10 yr old son with me as he games with me quite a bit. Are their other things besides boardgames at Origins that might interest him?

Quote:
In 2007, The WAR ROOM had over 150 gamers purchase a ribbon and the BOARD ROOM had over 400 gamers purchase a ribbon for these rooms.

That's great. Glad to hear it. Now what the heck is this "ribbon" thing?

I realize I am asking alot. Thanks much in advance for your help.

David Whitehouse

Edit: I noticed a few folks on the Origins roll call thread talking about games they are bringing. Are their any rules on that (what you can bring and where)? Or is it whatever you can fit in your wheeled steam trunks? Should I not worry about it (i.e. the stuff I bring will already be there?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Go to www.originsgames.com.

Go to the event section

download the excel spreadsheet.

That will show you EVERYTHING there is to do at Origins. It's a big list. I'm sure your son will find lots of interesting things to do.

I believe they even have a kids track which is meant to introduce kids to gaming (If I'm remembering correctly)

As for the ribbon. It gives you full access to the board room for the entire con, instead of buying tickets for the room in 2 hour intervals.

As for sigining up for a specific game, I'd do it if you really want to play that specific game.

If you'd like to play it, buy enough generics to get into it. If you get to play brass in the board room, then you don't need to go to the event. If you don't get to play brass, head over to that event and try and get in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cygnusx1 wrote:
In my fantasy world Origins is a slightly less crowded affair with one or two medium-sized rooms set aside for boardgaming with cozy round tables and laughter and brainsmoke simultaneously spilling into the hallways.

Most of the tables are rectangular. Otherwise, that's pretty much my impression.

I've been to both Origins and GenCon, and Origins is far superior for open gaming. Yes, GenCon is trying to improve with their game library setup, but their lack of a seperate room and the difficulty you encounter trying to find other open gamers makes it inferior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Zernechel
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

I'm part of the CABS group running the Board Room and have been to Origins for most of the last 10 years or so. You have a few choices for board gaming at Origins. Regardless, you must buy an Origins badge in order to play games there.

The first option is to buy what is called the Board Room Ribbon (or a War Room Ribbon as you might prefer). This lets you play unlimited games in a room specifically set aside for board gaming. While in the Board Room you will also have access to our Library of games, which is getting to be fairly extensive.

Your next option is to buy tickets to the games you want to play, or buy generics as you need them (Generics work as tickets to games, in the event that their are open slots). This lets you pick specific times and guarentees specific games.

Finally, you can just buy your badge and utilize the Origins Library of board games and hope to meet up with people to open game with around that area. Honestly, I'm afraid this isn't the best option and I can't recommend it much. You can make it work, but it would be rough, and the success of the Board Room has sort of removed a large component of those who would be using the open gaming area.

Please note that CABS has listed a lot of games in the event book as being in the Board Room. If you want to play any game in the Board Room you have two options - buy the ribbon, or simply pay generic tickets to play a specific game and then move on (or pay another generic for another game). And, honestly, the listing is more about letting people know that the game can be played there.

Assuming you are just looking for non-stop board gaming, the Board Room Ribbon is really the way to go. If you are going to be in and out, spend a day in the dealer room, spend day at role playing events, half a day playing a miniture game... then you probably want to save on costs and buy tickets/generics as you go.

As far as Brass goes - I'll be in the room pretty much non-stop and I'd love to play. Feel free to find me, except for Wednesday night when I'm manning the Library and during the Diplomacy tournament in the evenings. Brass is pretty big at CABS still, so there shouldn't be a shortage of interested parties even if you can't locate me. Once you're in the Board Room you can pretty much link up with people either who are hanging around the desk (we love to help put tables together) or by simply holding up the box.

The Board Room tends to be busier in the evenings after the dealer room shuts down and Friday/Saturday, but you'll be able to find people to play with during the day each day as well. Perhaps not at 8 am, but for the most part it shouldn't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Scott Mellon, Doug Faust, and Ian Zernechel - your replies were exactly what I needed.

Based on your responses, I will likely go the ribbon route. I am in negotiations with the Senate to see if I can make the whole thing happen.

Cheers,

David Whitehouse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't want to distract the thread but
since more than 1 person thinks there's no open gaming room at GENCON
I have to say this will be the 3rd YEAR of an open gaming room.
and, yes, Origins is bigger....
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to mention that I am disappointed that Fantasy Flight and Days of Wonder are not part of Origins. Yes, I am sure that Origins is smaller but the treatment of board gaming and board gamers at Origins (and at BGG con) is more like what I am looking for in a convention.

Shortsighted thinking IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that a booth costs the same at Origins as Gencon. The retailers are deciding they get more foot traffic per dollar at Gencon.

I think that's a mistake by those two, as there does seem to be a better boardgaming atmosphere at Origins, and thus, more foot traffic for THEM.

ok, back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agashamirv wrote:
I understand that a booth costs the same at Origins as Gencon. The retailers are deciding they get more foot traffic per dollar at Gencon.

Actually, booths are much cheaper at Origins. If I recall correctly, they are nearly half the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're saying that in past tense. Are you sure that's still the case? I was told that dirrectly from one of the company's employees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy to report that in an email this morning that TOM VASEL says that he will use up whatever remaining favors he has to help provide the BOARD ROOM with a prize table.

Again, we owe alot to TOM and want to thank him again for his contribution.

If anyone else out there has any "pull" with a game company and would like to send an email to them about contributing to the library and or the prize table - please do so ... You can have them email me at laserdog (at) columbus.rr.com and I can give them all the info they need.

THANKS AGAIN TOM !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins

Standard 10x10 booth: $738 (using the "late" price because it's past 14 Mar)

http://www.originsgamefair.com/uploads/dp/Qz/dpQz5vLZc9zKBCT...

GenCon

Standard booths are $16/sqft, thus 10x10 booth: $1,600

http://www.gencon.com/files/2008/indy/ExhibitorApp.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it not possible to purchase the Board Room Ribbon during the pre-registration period? I am trying to buy my badge and get my ribbon but I cannot find the ribbon in the Event search section?
What am I doing wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

It is certainly possible to add the Board Room ribbon. It is item #80400...if you enter that number into the search box, it should come up. Note that you must add it to a badge.

Also since this thread is for the War Room, I will mention that the War Room ribbon item is #80408.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm,

apparently I was misinformed. Maybe he meant with trasport costs, too.

Oh well.

Phrim wrote:
Origins

Standard 10x10 booth: $738 (using the "late" price because it's past 14 Mar)

http://www.originsgamefair.com/uploads/dp/Qz/dpQz5vLZc9zKBCT...

GenCon

Standard booths are $16/sqft, thus 10x10 booth: $1,600

http://www.gencon.com/files/2008/indy/ExhibitorApp.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
Just wanted to mention that I am disappointed that Fantasy Flight and Days of Wonder are not part of Origins. Yes, I am sure that Origins is smaller but the treatment of board gaming and board gamers at Origins (and at BGG con) is more like what I am looking for in a convention.

Shortsighted thinking IMHO.

According the their pre-registration booklet on the website, which they just updated today with the list of exhibitors, Fantasy Flight will be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that is certainly good news and I will absolutely be giving them a visit with several titles in mind for purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rohrer
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be in the War Room from Wed morning~Sun evening as always w/ my trusty white board listing all the multiplayer games I will be running. This is a preliminary list. A later one will follow that will also give the times. No, you can't signup thru GAMA to play these as I gaveup trying to get anything listed in their program book. It is first-come, first served.

*7 Ages (will be run multiple times)
*Agricola
*Through the Ages (Wed & Sun)
*Mare Nostrum with the Mythic Expansion (Fri or Sat)
*Wellington (Wed or Thurs)
*Fredrich
*Pacific Typhoon/Atlantic Storm
*Manifest Destiny (Fri or Sat)
*Dust (Sat at Noon)
*Galactic Destiny (Fri or Sat)
*Space Settlers of Catan
*Age of Empires 3

These are all teaching games, so you don't need to know how to play. However, knowing how CDGs work is a must for Wellington and Manifest Destiny. You must either have a War Room ribbon or pay to play with tickets (not my idea).

If any events don't happen due to a lack of players (which almost never happens as my games always fill up), I will play/teach the following 2-player games:

*Twilight Struggle
*Combat Commander: Europe
*Maneuvre
*Prussia's Defiant Stand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.