Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrah Hodge
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I sat down with Qbert for some Caylus. Normally he crushes me at this game but I had the upper hand since it was really hot out and QBert was hungry and had a headache - throwing his concentration somewhat. Tragically I wasn't able to make the most of it. Here's the story:

Usually QBert monopolizes castle building but having read some strategy and learning from previous losses, I was actually able to build in the castle slightly more than he was. However, in the meantime, he was building - the advanced peddlar and mason, as well as the stone bldg that gives you 2 wood and a food. One thing he was really good at was playing in the castle to force me to build at least two sections, often using up all my resources and preventing me from moving up on the building favour track - you can't build a building even with a favour without a 2nd resource.

I did build a few buildings later, including the advanced market and large farm. I was dividing my favours fairly evenly between the Prestige Pt track and the building track. QBert was concentrating almost exclusively on PPs, with deniers as a secondary choice.

The game was very close and ended quickly and I was doing pretty well, until I made a really boneheaded mistake. As I said, QBert often played in the castle to force me to play more sections. At one point in the final scoring phase, I had enough to build 3 sections and he had enough to build 4. I should've foreseen that he wouldn't actually build 4 sections just for the favour, but I foolishly used all my resources to build 3 sections - 9 resources for only 9 PPs. In both our opinions, that's when the game turned for me.

Unlike previous games, this one ended too quickly for either of us to get well into building prestige buildings or even combinations of stone buildings such as the alchemist and jeweller, that would convert resources into PPs. I only built one residence and prestige building through my favours, and QBert didn't build any.

In the end I made another dumb mistake in choosing the statue for my prestige building, which gives 7 PPs and a favour, even though I couldn't use the PP or the building favour track anymore and the other tracks were pretty much useless in the endgame. I could have also built the prestige building that costs 1 gold and 3 food for 10PP but passed on that one. In retrospect, that was another important mistake.

End score - QBert won with 86 to my 78.

One thing I love about Caylus is that every game teaches me how to play better next time - or just not make the same mistake twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
GamingWench wrote:

In the end I made another dumb mistake in choosing the statue for my prestige building, which gives 7 PPs and a favour, even though I couldn't use the PP or the building favour track anymore and the other tracks were pretty much useless in the endgame.

You know you can keep choosing the same track even when you've "maxed out" yes?

Or do you mean you had already used the building and PP track in that phase (I'm guessing it was the final scoring phase). Also: final scoring phase is a a seperate one from the final castle building phase. Sorry if you knew all that; it's a mistake we made in our first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.