Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildlife: A tile laying area control game with a mean edge.

First off I will not go into the rules of the game here. They have been restated numerous times with considerably more skill, clarity and precision then I would be able to in other posts on this site so what I will do is answer the questions I normally ask someone when I’m about to play or buy a game for the first time.

Conclusion(for those too lazy to read the whole thing): A fun conflict heavy eurogame that is worth buying if you like direct conflict. It is one of my favorite eurogames and is worth it. Buy it if you like direct conflict Eurogames.

How many players can play? 2-6. Per. other reviews as well as in my experience 5 is the sweet spot but 3-6 still play pretty good. 2 is just too passive a game.

What is the quality of the components (bang for the buck)? Good. You get a nice mounted board. A huge amount of very heavy cardboard animal chits and adaptation markers as well as about 11 wooded pawns/markers to dictate scoring. The only problem component are the cards. They look beautiful but there rather thin and I’m not sure that they will hold up to long time use.

How easy is it to learn? Light to Medium. I would say this depends on the experience level of the person learning. A gamer who is use to area control, auctions and scoring mechanics will learn this game fairly quickly and will only need to learn the specific mechanics this game employs to perform these functions but, if your new to these concepts then its probably moderate difficulty to learn.

How long does it take? Box says 60 minutes the Geek entry says 75. It’s probably closer to the Geek entry side. As always to more people that are learning the game at one time increases the length of play.

What itch does this scratch? If you’re looking for a Eurogame with direct conflict or an aggressive area control game this is for you. It plays a lot like EVO with out the randomness.

What is the replay value? High. With a game like this that requires aggression to win this game will play different as different players adapt to what the leader is doing.

Does this game reward skill or is it a pure luck fest? Skill. There is a luck of the draw element but with 10 cards it is evened out.

In Conclusion: I like this game and is one of the few Euro games I own. It is not for people who don’t like aggressive games or for people who don’t like area control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
United States
Prospect
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I also rate Wildlife very highly and do like this type of direct conflict area control game. You mentioned this is your only Eurogame. Maybe I can change this. My latest prototype "Heads of State" is an area control game in 16th- 18th century Europe and is being published by Eggertspiele for Essen this October so keep an eye out for it later in the year. Same as Wildlife it has great replay value because every game is different due to the different conflicts between the 4 nations.
Cheers -Peter Hawes (Australia)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its really great if you win your first game
Also, don't be in first early on!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.