designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to say that my dice tower is done and working
Here is a link to the plans
This is the pdf version:
http://www.boardgames.co.il/uploaded/Misc/Dice%20Tower.zip
This is the jpg version:
http://www.boardgames.co.il/uploaded/Misc/Dice%20Tower%20jpg...
Hope you'll all like it
and here is a small picture for those who haven't seen it:

edit: link to the new position of the files
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very nice. I will give it a try myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this. First time I've seen actual, easy-to-follow plans posted. I'll definitely be giving this a go, it looks a bit tighter than my home made tower .

One thing that would make it even better, is if you could offer the plans in a format that would make it easier to manipulate. PDF is great for making sure everything is printed to the exact scale, but if it were in, for example, JPG you could copy and paste images on top of the plans before you printed it out, which would be easier and neater than pasting them on afterward. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stjase wrote:
One thing that would make it even better, is if you could offer the plans in a format that would make it easier to manipulate. PDF is great for making sure everything is printed to the exact scale, but if it were in, for example, JPG you could copy and paste images on top of the plans before you printed it out, which would be easier and neater than pasting them on afterward. Just a thought.

Done
check out this page with both downloads. don't worry about the Hebrew, you'll find the file there easily
http://www.boardgames.co.il/Contents.asp?pageName=%E7%E5%EE%...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid question time. Why do people use dice towers? I have seen lots of pics of them here on BGG game, but have never run into one in real life. What purpose do they serve? What makes them worth carrying to a gaming session?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctb123 wrote:
Stupid question time. Why do people use dice towers? I have seen lots of pics of them here on BGG game, but have never run into one in real life. What purpose do they serve? What makes them worth carrying to a gaming session?

Thanks in advance!

Since you are not the first to ask (and probably not the last) I started a new thread with an answer so more people will see it
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2325803#2325803
Hope it answers your question (at least paritally)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
ctb123 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Well, at least for me, they minimize the footprint needed to use dice in a game. For example, I played Settlers last night with the girlfriend, and I would say we had to pick dice off the floor about five times. Several other times we had to make judgment calls because the dice did not land flat on the table, but were propped by cards.

Also, if you're playing a game where you roll a LOT of dice all at once, it just isn't fun to find them all afterward. A dice tower keeps the results of the roll handy.

Last, it prevents people like me from having 'bad luck' with the dice (mine never seem to roll, they just land) and people like my son from having 'good luck' with the dice. The dice become the random number generators they are meant to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to post a note to say that I followed Gilad's great plans and successfully built myself a dice tower tonight (sorry, I don't have a digital camera to show you how it turned out...it looks kinda like this: sauron ). I used 5mm thick foam board and added a couple of features:

-I picked up a couple of sheets of thin spongy foam paper from the craft store, and glued this stuff to the surface of the inside walls and panels, and to the tray. I did this to muffle the sound of the dice.

-I put glue in every joint I could and wrapped both the tray and the tower in construction paper. I did this to make sure that the tower will hold together when I travel around with it. I wrapped the tray using the method used here for wrapping cardboard boxes.

While I had to improvise to fix some minor gaffs (at first, the dice tower looked like a rectangular version of the Leaning Tower of Pisa) the result is a fairly sturdy dice tower that works like a charm.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me I need to build mine! I just need to decide on a theme...I'm thinking either basic black, or zombies!, or apocalyptic wasteland! Not too original I know, but hey, I know what I like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Oh, thank you very much. I've never made a dice tower before and want to build one soon, and this looks like a great set of plans for a beginner. Very clear and simple. I'm downloading the plans now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After making mine (see posting above), I fixed it so that the tower and the dice tray stay together when I want them to (eg when I am moving the tower around during a game). Here's what I did in case you're interested:

I put the tower and tray together as normal. Then using a nail I made a small hole right through the side of the base of the tower and dice tray, about 1 inch from the back. I then cut a wooden skewer (the kind you use for BBQs) and used it as a pin that goes through the hole and pops out the other end of the tray. I can now lift the tower from the top and the dice tray is stuck to it because of the pin. The pin is easy to remove when I need to fold the tray up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I built a tower. Very nice! Thanks for the plans.

I put a review of it under Miscellaneous Game Accessory, still pending moderation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beautiful work!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Talking Aviator says: “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! But your plans don't tell me how to stick it to the wall and how to get the dice to roll into the tray...

Anti-gravity dice, I guess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I built my own first tower with these plans, mainly because the foam board option is pretty much all that is available for an apartment dweller without access to a wood shop or power tools.

Anyway, my first attempt followed the plans exactly. I immediately saw some room for improvement.

1) Don't cut the slots all the way through to the outer cardboard, and you'll have a much smoother looking tower.

2) If you're going to experiment with different materials for the ramps, like felt (somewhat muffled) or cork (extremely muffled), then the ramps will need to be at a steeper angle. For felt and cork I used a 30 degree angle which seems to work well even with non-cubes like 4-sided dice.

My 2nd attempt included the following alterations...

TOWER TWO...

3) Steeper ramps (see above)

4) Extra ramps going side-to-side as well as back-to-front, for the gratifying semi-illusion of increased randomness, or maybe it's just t hear the dice bounce around more. To make room for the extra ramps, the whole thing had to be taller, so I printed the new plans on legal-size paper.

5) Windows. Vertical, triangular windows that matched the locations of the ramps. More for appearance than to really get a good look at the descending dice.

6) Black foam (which by the way cuts much better than the white stuff).

It turned out rather well, but again I had some ideas for improvement (the extra ramps made it impossible to use the hidden ramp slot technique I mentioned in point #1)

Naturally as I built this thing I was already thinking of ways to improve it. For the NEXT tower...

TOWER THREE...

7) A new ramp layout with ramps that make the dice descend in a spiral.

8) Triangular ramps so that dice that sliding rather than rolling will drop at an angle so they're more likely to roll on the next plain.

9) A lid form-fitted over the top.

Nope, I didn't stop there... I built two more towers, with cork ramps and partially open sides.

TOWER FIVE...

10) A total of EIGHT triangular ramps in close proximity to each other, for a multiple spin effect.

11) Windows that spiral around the tower to follow the path of the ramps and the descent of the dice.

12) A fancier opening for the exit door. Not simply a shorter side panel, but with an angular door frame.

Well, if you've made it down this far in this post, you might be itching to actually SEE some of these creations. I'll be uploading them shortly. I've even got a video I'll be putting on YouTube with a partially-assembled spinning ramp tower to show the path of a die as it descends.

Feel free to email if you want a quick peek at the unedited photos of the towers (right now they're massive-sized JPG's from from my digital camera, and an .MOV file for the video (QuickTime).

All for now,
Klaus

Kind of an old post to be editing, I know... since people still seem to run across this thread occasionally, here are two shots of that latest tower creation...

1) The finished tower (turns out that although all those windows really don't give you a good PEEK at the descending dice, they make for a really nice sound effect and so are worth all that extra cutting)...

2) A peek at the ramps inside...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Tulloh
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking up plans for building my own dice tower.

However, while I was drawing up plans for a "slide tower", it occured to me that it should be possible to build a "plinko" style of tower, ie instead of using slides, you let the dice bounce around on pegs until they come out of the bottom.

The only problem I see with such a tower is that it probably wouldn't be able to handle gobs of dice at one time - but dice 3 or 4 at a time probably would be ok.

Has anyone else had a similar idea? Has anyone acted on it? If so, what were your results?

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Brea
CA
flag msg tools
This space intentionally left green.
badge
GRRREEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The plinko idea inspired me to make this:

(side view is missing front and back panels, and the notch in the slides needs to be bigger than shown.)

Materials:
1/4" foam board
5/64" round wooden dowels (found at Michael's)
1/8" X 3/8" dowel

Dimensions:
8" tall
4" wide
2.5 " deep

I don't think it really needs the slides, and they do make it much more difficult to construct, but it's was fun to do anyway.

I also built a tray that is 1.25" deep and slightly larger than 4X8 the whole thing packs up nicely

I'm planning at some point to build one of thes with some 4X12X1/4 plywood they have at micheals. I'll post pics if I get it done anytime in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
stjase wrote:

Done
check out this page with both downloads. don't worry about the Hebrew, you'll find the file there easily
http://www.boardgames.co.il/Contents.asp?pageName=%E7%E5%EE%...

I think the "Dice Tower left Plain" and "Dice Tower right Plain" are different sizes: one is longer and wider than the other by a quarter of an inch. Is it supposed to be like that?

EDIT: my mistake...they're perfectly sized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Guthrie
msg tools
mb
The people at geek chic make some insanely awesome gaming tables. They also occasionally make a cool accessory, like their peg-style dice tower:

http://www.geekchichq.com/Co_Store/From_The_Labs/From_The_La...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is one I made using Gilad's template. I put a pin (wooden skewer) through the bottom so it can be moved around during a game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Diaz
Chile
Iquique
Tarapaca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i know maybe this thread die alot of time ago, but can you share the plans with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentalShiver wrote:
i know maybe this thread die alot of time ago, but can you share the plans with me?

Enjoy
Hope these links works.
This is the pdf version:
http://www.boardgames.co.il/uploaded/Misc/Dice%20Tower.zip
This is the jpg version:
http://www.boardgames.co.il/uploaded/Misc/Dice%20Tower%20jpg...

Let me know if they don't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Plank
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentalShiver wrote:

The plans are in a link in the first post in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jplank wrote:
MentalShiver wrote:

The plans are in a link in the first post in this thread.

The links moved so the links in the first post no longer work. I'll edit that post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:
(at first, the dice tower looked like a rectangular version of the Leaning Tower of Pisa)

Hmmm... I think you may have just inspired me. I like the idea of a "Dice Tower of Pisa," but a rectangular or octagonal tower like in a castle would be easier to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.