Popular Tags: [View All]
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

So I bought this game and the wife and I played through a quick 'learn the rules and flow of gameplay' session last night. A couple questions that came up that I have are:

1) I had a monster that has 1 hitpoint and was 2 melee attack. Her hero had no melee attack. The monster said, inflict one wound, hero has to beat threat +6 melee or is tipped. ... So, I played the monster against her during my Dungeonlord phase out of the 'Pack'. And it got us thinking. It immediately inflicts one wound on her. She then has to try to beat the threat or is tipped. Since her Hero melee was 0, she was always taking 1 wound and being tipped and thought it was stupid, like.. how was she ever supposed to beat the thing? I said the only thing I could think of was to save 1 movement point from her previous turn and spend it to counter-attack the monster with magic. He had 0 magic attack and she had 2. So she'd probably defeat his 1 hitpoint. Were we doing something wrong?

2) Both of us were kinda wondering whats the point of keeping a monster in the pack vs. keeping it in your hand? I understand that if it's wounded it has to stay in the pack or be discarded. But lets say it wasn't. She had 2 monsters she played against me and put them in her pack. Is this to keep more monsters out and more cards in her hand?

3) Movement. Not really explained in the rules anywhere! I downloaded the latest off the website and the 'how to play dungeoneer' PDF as well. Speed/Movement get VERY LITTLE explanation. It's simple enough to 'get' but really, at the very least, a paragraph explaining it would be nice.

4) Monsters in pack having hitpoints. So,.. how do you keep track of this? Use extra dice? Paper?

5) Can you take a monster that has no wound out of the pack and into your hand and then discard him during the discard phase?

I think its pretty cool so far. She says its not bad, but it's a little 'involved' - the phases of your turn, things to manage, etc. but this is her first exposure to this sort of game.

I may think of more questions. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derp wrote:
Hi all,

So I bought this game and the wife and I played through a quick 'learn the rules and flow of gameplay' session last night. A couple questions that came up that I have are:

1) I had a monster that has 1 hitpoint and was 2 melee attack. Her hero had no melee attack. The monster said, inflict one wound, hero has to beat threat +6 melee or is tipped. ... So, I played the monster against her during my Dungeonlord phase out of the 'Pack'. And it got us thinking. It immediately inflicts one wound on her. She then has to try to beat the threat or is tipped. Since her Hero melee was 0, she was always taking 1 wound and being tipped and thought it was stupid, like.. how was she ever supposed to beat the thing? I said the only thing I could think of was to save 1 movement point from her previous turn and spend it to counter-attack the monster with magic. He had 0 magic attack and she had 2. So she'd probably defeat his 1 hitpoint. Were we doing something wrong?

You still get a roll if your Melee score is 0, you just don't add any to the roll. Also, make sure you're separating card effect text from successful hit text (card effects have no symbol next to them, successful hit texts have the type of hit icon next to them).

I don't have the cards in front of me, so I'm assuming that the threat 6+ is a card effect, and the 1 damage is a hit effect. If that's the case, the battle would look something like this:

-Monster is played, declares melee attack
-Threat 6+ melee special card text is applied
-Defender rolls d6, adds melee (0), if not >= 6, is tipped

-Any defender response abilities are played
-Monster rolls attack d6, addds melee (2)
-Defender rolls melee d6, adds melee (0)

If monster rolls higher, apply 1 damage to defender
If defender rolls higher, kill monster.
If tie, nothing happens

-If the defender has a movement point, and the monster is not dead, defender may issue a challenge action

Quote:

2) Both of us were kinda wondering whats the point of keeping a monster in the pack vs. keeping it in your hand? I understand that if it's wounded it has to stay in the pack or be discarded. But lets say it wasn't. She had 2 monsters she played against me and put them in her pack. Is this to keep more monsters out and more cards in her hand?

Yes, it's a way of getting more cards into your hand, while still having the monsters available for use, at the cost of showing your opponent what she may face.

Quote:

3) Movement. Not really explained in the rules anywhere! I downloaded the latest off the website and the 'how to play dungeoneer' PDF as well. Speed/Movement get VERY LITTLE explanation. It's simple enough to 'get' but really, at the very least, a paragraph explaining it would be nice.

Somewhere I saw an example of play with the movement, but I can't find it at the moment.

Quote:

4) Monsters in pack having hitpoints. So,.. how do you keep track of this? Use extra dice? Paper?

Yup.

Quote:

5) Can you take a monster that has no wound out of the pack and into your hand and then discard him during the discard phase?

Not that I know of. What you can do is discard the monster when you already have three in your pack and want to add another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:

You still get a roll if your Melee score is 0, you just don't add any to the roll. Also, make sure you're separating card effect text from successful hit text (card effects have no symbol next to them, successful hit texts have the type of hit icon next to them).

I don't have the cards in front of me, so I'm assuming that the threat 6+ is a card effect, and the 1 damage is a hit effect. If that's the case, the battle would look something like this:

-Monster is played, declares melee attack
-Threat 6+ melee special card text is applied
-Defender rolls d6, adds melee (0), if not >= 6, is tipped

-Any defender response abilities are played
-Monster rolls attack d6, addds melee (2)
-Defender rolls melee d6, adds melee (0)

If monster rolls higher, apply 1 damage to defender
If defender rolls higher, kill monster.
If tie, nothing happens

-If the defender has a movement point, and the monster is not dead, defender may issue a challenge action

Ahh! So I think it was a successful hit card. It had the melee icon and then :wound 1, then more text about the tipping.

Regarding keeping track of monster hitpoints, would a 6 sided dice work ok? Do monsters ever have more than 6hp?

Quote:

...What you can do is discard the monster when you already have three in your pack and want to add another.

So, to clarify, once you've played a monster into the pack, the only way it can be removed is:

a) playing another monster into the pack at which point you remove one of your choosing and immediately discard it?

b) have the monsters hitpoints reduced to 0 in which its immediately discarded

Also, leaving a monster in the pack would free up more cards for your hand, but leaves the other Heros knowing what they will face.

You always roll 1 dice for attacks/defends and the + only adds to them. So even with 0 attack, you roll one dice. So.. the monster had a melee attack of 2. So I roll 3 dice (I would assume, but just making sure)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derp wrote:

Ahh! So I think it was a successful hit card. It had the melee icon and then :wound 1, then more text about the tipping.

Regarding keeping track of monster hitpoints, would a 6 sided dice work ok? Do monsters ever have more than 6hp?

A d6 should be plenty, I'm not sure I've ever seen anything with more than 3HP (Though I don't have the legendary set)

Quote:

So, to clarify, once you've played a monster into the pack, the only way it can be removed is:

a) playing another monster into the pack at which point you remove one of your choosing and immediately discard it?

b) have the monsters hitpoints reduced to 0 in which its immediately discarded

Actually, no, I forgot about the discard/draw phase. You can discard an encounter from your pack if you have any cards left in your hand when your Discard/draw phase comes around. You can do a) above if you already have three cards in your pack and want to add another.

Quote:

You always roll 1 dice for attacks/defends and the + only adds to them. So even with 0 attack, you roll one dice. So.. the monster had a melee attack of 2. So I roll 3 dice (I would assume, but just making sure)?

Nope, A melee attack of 2 rolls 1d6 + 2, for a final result somewhere between 3 and 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification! Somehow I got that it's 1 dice per attack, when it's just 1 dice always and add the + to the result.

So about the pack, you can discard from the pack during your discard phase? Instead of your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derp wrote:

So about the pack, you can discard from the pack during your discard phase? Instead of your hand?

Yes, from the rules:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/geekfile_view.php?fileid=2526...

Quote:
5. Discard/Draw Phase: If you have any cards in your hand,
you must either discard 1 of them, 1 Treasure card from
your Inventory, or 1 Encounter card from your Pack (Emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it! I've read over the rules before and during play but am posting today after the fact. This clears up alot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.