Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now closed my Geeklist - 'Tenuous claims to fame'

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31456/page/1

Firstly, many thanks to everyone who participated, there were a LOT more entries than I was expecting. I have now managed to read through them all though and have picked out a few honourable mentions as well as my winner.

It seems as though we have some genuinely not-so-tenuous claims to fame here on the Geek (DWTripp for one). Hell, I shall be using it as a future tenuous claim to fame that some of you participated on my Geeklist. However I was after the strange and obscure and so here are my honourable mentions:

Talloaf -
Quote:
Well, I don't know anyone who knows anyone who's famous. However, my senior class in college (2005, UNC-CH) all got together and had the world's largest group spoon. 400 of us all laid out in the quad spooning in a giant circle. Mo Rocca from Comedy Central fame came to speak to the senior class and also had the honor of being one of the official witnesses for the Guinness World Records people.

I am World Record holder.

A World Record Holder. Not so tenuous you might argue but I find something highly amusing in imagining 400 people laid out spooning, and let's be honest - who actually reads the Guinness Book of Records anyway?

mbtigger -
Quote:
When I grew up, we had a set of older furniture that was used in our living room. After my Mother died and my father remarried, with 2 households of furniture around there was some paring away of furniture that needed to be done.

Our old furniture was sold to a company involved in making the film "Just Cause" with Sean Connery, and was used in filming. So, in the movie, there sits Sean Connery's Bum in the place where my Bum once often sat.

Thant's about as close to a brush with fame as I have ever had...

How cool is that? How obscenely tenuous. Love it.

sifu -
Quote:
Okay, these are supposed to be *tenuous* links to fame, right? Seems like many people are being way too direct. Cheaters.

As a sophomore at university, I studied organic chemistry, and I did pretty well. For one exam in my class of 200 or 300 students, I made a top score and the professor, a guy named Epiotis, personally recognized me for my outstanding result and asked me to stand. That same professor attended college in the mid-west somewhere (I can't remember where), but the important thing is that Epiotis came from Greece, and was new to the States. Anyway, a frat boy at the university volunteered to welcome young Epiotis to America and get him settled in at the school. That frat boy went on to become Han Solo.

Full marks for spotting my avatar and realising any Han Solo related claim to fame was bound to get my attention. Full marks for being very tenuous as well.

Barticus88 -
Quote:
My cousin Richard dated Theresa Reneteria. Theresa Reneteria herself has a tenuous claim to fame. On the Carol Burnett show, Theresa's friend asked Carol Burnett to say hello to Theresa Renteria. Carol really liked the name, and repeated "Theresa Renteria" seven or eight times, and subsequently used that as the name of a character in a skit.

This one was in his comments afterwards when he realised that his main entry was far too genuine and that he needed something much more tenuous. You can't get much more obscure than this one and it tickled me quite a bit.

And finally the winner...

Majik Mouse -
Quote:
I am descended from (way way way back there) Walter Tirel, best known for (presumably) inadvertently killing William Rufus (AKA William II of England) by shooting him with an arrow while they were both hunting.

Tenuous, I know, but that is the name of the game.

I'm a bit of a sucker for anything historical. This one is tenuous and hard to verify but very very cool if true. We have a descendant of a Kingslayer in our midst!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greglios wrote:
We have a descendant of a Kingslayer in our midst!!!

We're gamers; we should call him a descendant of a Kingmaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to snag an honorable mention. I also have tenuous connections to two well known serial murderers, but I left those out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Majik Mouse
United States
Tuscaloosa
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Love and Peace from the MajikMouse!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your tremendous generosity! The connection is nicely documented (in fact, Tirel, having moved over the years to the spelling of Terrill) has remained a family name (I think our particular male line may have died off rather recently; I believe I am connected through my mothers mother. I have sent out an e-mail to the genealogy buffs in my family to get a little more concrete info). Tirels were also involved (at least in one of the stories) with the murder of the princes in the tower, but we have no verification of that one (nor are we even sure if it is a connected line). Lovely family shake

As a side note, I can also trace my line back to the Quayles (sp?) of the Isle of Man, who eventually produced Dan Quayle.

The fun never stops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Quale?

With the Walter Tirel connection, are you sure you don't mean Dick (Shotgun) Cheney?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Majik Mouse
United States
Tuscaloosa
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Love and Peace from the MajikMouse!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloodybucket wrote:
Dan Quale?

With the Walter Tirel connection, are you sure you don't mean Dick (Shotgun) Cheney?

That would certainly make a lot of sense. However, if you really think about it, Cheney did not kill anyone with the shotgun while Quayle was occasionally known to murder the English language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.