Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm reading the rules of TDC I realize how cool it would be to make Stalingrad module! That would be a really a dream come true to play! Using the same scale, broken down into perhaps 3 games: Barricades, Red October and Central Stalingrad...I can dream right ?

Adam, any possibility ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe - I was asked just today to make a small print and play using the TDC system for a Stalingrad battle for display at a con.

But Dave Friedrichs is the east front man. After he makes Kursk, not sure what or if he wants to do next. My own feeling is that Stalingrad would be too long in time to work but maybe a week or two slice?

Anyway, we will see - but certainly well down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shudder at the thought.

The counter stacks are bad enough in Arnhem and Nijmegen.

EDIT: It's always fun when multiple response pass one another...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it called "Streets of Stalingrad"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
Isn't it called "Streets of Stalingrad"?

Would like to have that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:
maybe - I was asked just today to make a small print and play using the TDC system for a Stalingrad battle for display at a con.

But Dave Friedrichs is the east front man. After he makes Kursk, not sure what or if he wants to do next. My own feeling is that Stalingrad would be too long in time to work but maybe a week or two slice?

Anyway, we will see - but certainly well down the road.

Wow that's cool Adam!

You could do it the same way Kursk is being made. Break up Stalingrad into few modules that could link together. It doesn't necessarily mean that it would all have to be done right away. But at least one module covering say Red Barricades section of the city say from 17th October to 15 November (as covered by Red Barricades CG in ASL historical module) would be really nice to have. I have to say I like the TDC scale...and the rules are not difficult to learn...it would work well In Stalingrad - from my point of view. TDC is a great system, I'm glad I bought it...well worth the money. I have the second module on pre-order already

Anyways thanks for replaying Adam!

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know... seems like the scale of the TDC system wouldn't fit so well here. ASL's Red Barricades covers the Barrikady in two map sheets at ~40m per hex and takes roughly a month to fight across. At the 500m per hex scale used for TDC, the same section of the Barrikady would fit into (~1/10 x 1/10 =) 1/100 of the space, or 1/50 of a mapsheet! I don't think I'd be very interested in fighting over 2-3 hexes for a month's worth of gaming.

Of course, the scale could be made smaller to some extent, but it's still going to be awfully tight in the end. I think the system is at it's best showing actions that involve more movement than Stalingrad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No.

I played the small promo game of this that they put out while it was on preorder. That game was basically a city fight in Nijemegan. I found it dreadfullytedious. It was just so slow. The DRMs for attacking a city space were so high that it became almost impossible to get anything done. I can't imagine an entire game like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordStrabo wrote:
No.

I played the small promo game of this that they put out while it was on preorder. That game was basically a city fight in Nijemegan. I found it dreadfullytedious. It was just so slow. The DRMs for attacking a city space were so high that it became almost impossible to get anything done. I can't imagine an entire game like that.

I don't see how this couldn't be taken care of with making changes to the Exclusive Rulebook changes. This is the rulebook that is unique for each TDC module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JG53_Jaguar wrote:
LordStrabo wrote:
No.

I don't see how this couldn't be taken care of with making changes to the Exclusive Rulebook changes. This is the rulebook that is unique for each TDC module.

Unless you're including a scale change I don't think that's gonna do it. And by the time you start changing things like scale, it's probably time to use another system.

The changes you'd need to include to the game specific book to make aStalingrad game that at least I'd want to play would pretty much mean you'd be using a different system.

The scale means movement's going to be limited and stacking is going to be extreme. 500 meters hexes represent a big chunk of city. The close quarters nature of the fighting would mean that in addition to extreme stacking headaches you lose many of the decisions of the activation system.

The system already feels strained in the much smaller urban combat environments in TDC. I'm not saying it *couldn't* be adapted, but that I can't see how to do so well without making so many changes that you may as well start from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing Ioverlooked while playing Little Omaha was this little rule

"if fired upon, a Unit in Column never receives
any beneficial (i.e., negative) terrain modifiers"

so you get an additional +2 to your armour rating for being in column mode and thats it!

this would make the Sherman tanks only have a -1 rating (as opposed to the
-3 armour, +2 column and -3 terrain)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.