Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
United States
Granger
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of any talk about reprints of the old MB Gamemaster series games? Personally, I'd like to see new editions of Fortress America and Samurai Swords.

With the prices for these games what they are on ebay, it seems to me that an outfit like Valley Games or some other savvy publisher could do well by a reprint or two (or maybe it's just me being nostalgic).

Are the licenses for these games in some sort of intellectual property purgatory, or is there just no interest, or is the 2008 version of Samurai Swords debuting at Essen?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent ebay sales of Shogun (Samurai Swords) seem to be about $45 for sets that are not in the best shape or are incomplete and almost $100 for a complete set in good condition. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
Is that an exorbitant amount for a BIG game with hundreds of miniatures (which is as you say OOP) in the states? Over here Age of Empires III sells for about the same ($95) new. $100 in Australia seems like a very fair price for a large game with lots of components OOP or not based on costs of other new games. I'm a little surprised that it doesn't fetch more here. I suppose there is not enough demand.

I'd like new games to be cheaper here but that will not happen til gaming becomes popular enough to start a publishing/production base here removing the high cost of importing/shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hbj79 wrote:
I assume you know that Conquest of the Empire was already remaid? It makes sense for someone to remake Samurai Swords although the amount of used copies still floating around might be a hinderance. I think the political climate might discourage someone from making Fortress America. My two cents.

It might sell well overseas since everyone hates us. (At least that is what they keep telling me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the political climate might actually be just right for a remake of Fortress America. There is a lot of diddain for the U.S abroad and at home.

Just look at the success of the game "War on Terror." That game seems to be a great success, despite or because of the current political climate.

I'd personally love to see an update to Fortress America, or better yet a "Red Dawn" themed version of it

Wolverines!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poizonous wrote:
I think the political climate might actually be just right for a remake of Fortress America. There is a lot of diddain for the U.S abroad and at home.

Just look at the success of the game "War on Terror." That game seems to be a great success, despite or because of the current political climate.

I'd personally love to see an update to Fortress America, or better yet a "Red Dawn" themed version of it

Wolverines!!!!

Well, MGM is talking about remaking Red Dawn... I smell movie tie-in...

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hbj79 wrote:
I think the political climate might discourage someone from making Fortress America. My two cents.

Half the nation thinks the idea is prophecy still waiting to happen, the other half looks on that kind of paranoia as amusing and quaint. Neither side would likely have any objection to buying the game.

If anything the recent over-hype of foreign threats might make a reprint more believable, in a tongue in cheek sort of way. A reprint 10 years ago wouldn't have made much sense except solely on nostalgia reasons, now you can *almost* make the storyline fly without immediately chuckling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortress remade would be more interesting if the powers attacking the USA were someone other than just Communists. Maybe hardcore Al Quida Terrorists from the East, Drug cartels from the South, and Commies from the West.

Just an idea to really spice it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Canning
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep an eye out on ebay. I was able to snag complete copies of Fortress America and Shogun for about $30 each. It took weeks of watching and waiting, but it payed off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crappyjacks wrote:
Just keep an eye out on ebay. I was able to snag complete copies of Fortress America and Shogun for about $30 each. It took weeks of watching and waiting, but it payed off.

Wow -- nice catch! That's probably what I paid for mine new at Toys R Us. And that was a long time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
About 8 years ago I picked up a copy of samurai swords at toys r us for about $15 Canadian tax in. That was before I realised the demand on ebay might become high, and way before i found BGG. I snapped up a copy, out of 10 on the shelf. I was disappointed it was renamed SAmurai Swords, I first saw it as Shogun. If I only had my time back.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An update to Fortress America would be interesting. Remember in the original that the world (except Canada) turned against the USA because the USA developed the technology for "orbital laser satellites" and was going to deploy it. (or something like that, it's been a while) Where was the original manufactured and do the molds for the pieces still exist? You could use the same pieces, update the graphics and gameplay, and you could sell a few thousand copies for sure. Probably not enough copies for AH/Hasbro, but perhaps Fantasy Flight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
Fortress remade would be more interesting if the powers attacking the USA were someone other than just Communists. Maybe hardcore Al Quida Terrorists from the East, Drug cartels from the South, and Commies from the West.

Just an idea to really spice it up!

I doubt the cartels would ever attack us. We're too good for business. Plus how would CIA finance their illegal brush-wars without them? Talk about guttin' the "golden goose"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who do you think the golden goose will be in 20 years?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.