Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright RSPers! I know all of you have opinions, dammit! A lot of these threads grind down into dreary discussions about evidence and logical thought. We all believe crazy stuff, and I KNOW that each and every one of you is walking around with a wacky rant burning a hole in your back pocket.

So get 'em off your chest! No evidence needed. As long as you believe it, that's OK by me. The crankier the better. It can be as specific as an indefensible pet peeve, or as broad as an truly stoopid personal philosophy. Here's mine. Yep, I actually believe that.

I also truly believe "The more you drive, the less intelligent you are." (Repo Man, 1984)

This is now a criticism-free zone. You don't have to defend jack crap here. Rant 'em if you got 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it when someone is making a right turn, and they have to swing out into the oncoming lane before completing the turn. What's so hard about keeping their car in the freakin' lane!?

Whew, I'm glad I got that off my chest. Thank you, Josh, for giving me a forum to safely vent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate when someone is making a turn, and they hit their turn signal AT THE MOMENT they begin turning! What is that about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You guys have it *easy*,
what with your people actually using turn signals and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I went to this thread, there was an ad on the side bar called meet gay couples.com. I don't know if this ad follows Josh around, but it had a disturbing photo of a man standing over another man in a highly sexual position. I have no problem with homosexual behavior, but a photo where the one guy is clearly about to give it to the other guy is not very BGGish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had an ad that tried to sell me Olga, now I don't know Olga and I'm certain she is a truly great and adorable person, but since ordering so many games, a mail-order-bride is completely out of the question, I wouldn't even know where to put her right now, I hate it when ads tempt me to buy people when I'm out of money O_o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the "ghetto pass" as it is described in my 'hood, where a driver comes up to the intersection in the parking lane or designated right turne lane (usually in a 'hooptie') and (when the light changes--or at a stop sign) jackrabbits past the parked cars and pedestrians before the first person in a long, civil line of drivers who waited their turn to proceed, ought to be beheaded.

That driving action is also accompanied by a lack of signal use (cuz you don't want people to know) and an encroachment upon the intersection, usually with a revving engine, blocking the crosswalk.

I've seen so many near misses with people and children because there are a lot of people standing in the street by the bus stops (another peeve), and a ridiculous number of near misses with cars, curbs, signposts and property...

And, the icing on the cake is when the same ***hole immediately flips on their left turn signal to turn left at the next block, usually at the last minute with people driving on their arses because of road rage.

Or, they proceed to stand in traffic in front of the next check-cashing or cellular joint without flashers, just the toe-stand brakelights (usually one or none are working) to let you know to swerve around them.

And all of this is done in an urban setting where streets are narrow and don't allow for reaction time, and pedestrians are abundant. There are numerous hit-and-run accidents in Milwaukee every summer, and this is one of the reasons why.

Off with their heads I say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
I hate when someone is making a turn, and they hit their turn signal AT THE MOMENT they begin turning! What is that about?
I once was told by a native Bostonian "Why would you use turn signals? It just gives your intentions away!"shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
In North St Louis, It's common to see people that are using turn signals deceptively: Signal right, and then turn left!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I hate when I turn without using a signal - even in a parking lot - and my four-year-old daughter gives me lip about it. Take your backcarseat-driver shee-at outta here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in New Haven red lights seem to be optional. Left on red? Sure, why not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Here's mine. Yep, I actually believe that.

Yeah the 60's cool... along with that the Woodstock festival ruined the music industry. The record industry saw money making potential in crappy hippie bands and we've been riding that wave ever since... well, not the hippie music, rather the industry promoting what will be marketable rather than what is good.

..as far as cool, the Beats were cool. Hippies sucked the soul out of that and deteriorated in their drug culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it that you can't have an animated GIF for an uberbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread was edging perilously close to not being derailed, so I'll get it back off track -- to one of my favorite aggravating hobbyhorses, driving in New England:

Driving in Boston, like no place else on earth I've found (including NY and LA), gets you in touch with your rageaholic. I think this is for a few reasons:

1) City designed in the 17th and 18th centuries -- lots of blind alleys, five-way streets, and New England's invention of Satan, the rotary (having a GPS unit here is positively mandatory). It was designed for horses, not cars. Many things about driving here make no sense whatsoever. As my wife has said to me on many occasions: "Easy, Jake, it's Boston."
2) Wide variations in temperature between summer and winter, creating potholes, which aren't filled by mob-connected city services
3) Absolutely insane local laws. Drivers are encouraged to drive in the "breakdown lane", as it's called out here, at rush hour. It isn't uncommon to be exiting the highway just as some idiot cuts you off on the right doing 80 or 90.
4) All the foregoing makes drivers around here carnivorous. So you have to become one of them to survive.

I'd say that I feel better for having vented about this (yet again), but that'd be lying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
3) Absolutely insane local laws. Drivers are encouraged to drive in the "breakdown lane", as it's called out here, at rush hour. It isn't uncommon to be exiting the highway just as some idiot cuts you off on the right doing 80 or 90.
Being passed on the right on what I'd call "the shoulder" while going 75 is pants-browningly terrifying.

Say what you will about the red state/blue state concept, but I'm a firm believer that the red staters are friendlier drivers, and quite frankly, better drivers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
bbenston wrote:
Being passed on the right on what I'd call "the shoulder" while going 75 is pants-browningly terrifying.

Say what you will about the red state/blue state concept, but I'm a firm believer that the red staters are friendlier drivers, and quite frankly, better drivers.

You are correct Josh. But it's not because Red State drivers are more civilized or courteous. No, it's because we're all armed to the teeth and we know very well that inappropriate driving behaviour can quickly lead to a high speed shoot-out, grenade launchers beong deployed, Mad Max rejects boarding your vehicle at speed and many other bothersome little annoyances.

Getting to work alive and not bleeding requires being nice on the highways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
bbenston wrote:

A friend actually had the nerve to have a breakdown in the actual "breakdown lane", and was actually told he couldn't stop in the breakdown lane by the tow truck driver he'd called. It's recursive stupidity up in here -- wheels within wheels.

I'm not sure it's a blue state/red state thing, though. I think it's a population density thing -- just like any gas confined in a progressively tighter space, those molecules'll collide much more frequently and the entire volume will heat up.

Add in legacy infrastructure from prior centuries and a legislature unwilling to break with tradition no matter how McCrazyPants it is, and you've got Boston. And heaven help you if you're on the Pike just after a Fenway game lets out -- every other car'll be a drunken driver.

At least in Vietnam, where there are maybe 2 or 3 traffic lights in most of Hanoi, period, and there are zero traffic laws to speak of -- people at least know exactly what they're doing. You take your life in your hands by being a pedestrian there, but the motorbike traffic has a certain Road Warrior logic to it.

I'm just happy I moved here after the Big Dig was completed, otherwise I think I'd be on my second or third aneurysm by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I also believe that the clearest current indicator of The End Times is the widespread acceptance of flip-flops as acceptable footwear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I also believe that the clearest current indicator of The End Times is the widespread acceptance of flip-flops as acceptable footwear.

Agreed, though that flipfloppery actually makes me wish The End Times would hurry up and come already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
bbenston wrote:

Well, in Wisconsin, in the reddest parts of the state, and I mean RED, the drivers abide by the laws and drive courteously.

In fact, the Illinois drivers who would drive up to their cottages would stand out like sore thumbs (mostly democrats) up there, driving with overly aggressive tactics and without regard to speed and safety of other drivers...

In Milwaukee, again a true blue area, the driving is overly aggressive and the drivers are much worse. They disregard laws, drive while yapping on cellphones, cut you off, do the right-lane passing, and drive too fast for conditions.

Madison, another blue area is better though, still with the distracted driver phenomenon rampant throughout, and with a great deal of semi-aggressive drivers.

But it is a much better environment to drive in. I believe that the culture and the commute time have more to do with the driving habits and style of the area, and coincide indirectly with the politics.

The driving up north in the blue areas is more unhurried due to the pace of life, and the folks have less disposable income to waste on car accidents and legal fees, so they drive their cars like it is precious to them.

And they take the time to care about the folks around them. It ain't as simple as red/blue, but there are some indirect relationships.

It's kindof like all the suburban soccer moms in the city who drive bigass SUVs without ever driving offroad or carrying anything but human cargo. We called them folks posers up north, and their aggressive driving style, enabled simply because their vehicle was bigger, simply didn't fit in to the cultural norms.

But someone who owns a pickup truck which is their most significant piece of machinery for the farm or work, will not risk damaging it. In the same way, if all urban dwellers had to drive VW Golf compacts they would probably drive a bit more safely, with conscious thought to their own safety--even though they might still not give a dang about anyone else.

That's all she wrote...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Road laws, huh? The country I am in (and for the next month until I transfer to Frankfurt) there are no traffic laws after 6 PM or on weekends. Why, because the cops don't work after 6 PM. Want an ambulance on the weekends, good luck.

Back on topic. I know it is a bit strange, but I believe that anyone who is unhappy in life and older than 18 chooses to be unhappy. There are plenty of happy people who have everything worse off than you, and most unhappiness is caused by unrealistic expectations and a bad outlook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
On driving: drivers who believe I should pay the consequences for their mistakes. For example, if you missed a turn, you should take the next turn and come back--not come to a stop and wait to make a u-turn.

On topic: the concept that human beings are fundamentally flawed and require a higher power to overcome said flaw. It is an incredibly pervasive notion that sets the foundation for much self-loathing and discontent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we are adding to the capital crime list for traffic offenses, I propose another.

After passing a sign that indicates the lane is closing ahead, no further passing should be allowed in that lane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.