Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Scenario:

A player selects a train card from the open pile on a first draw. They then replace it with a train card from the draw pile, which happens to be a locomotive.

Can this locomotive (wild card) be claimed as their second draw card?

Or must it be placed on the open pile first and then the player either draws a second train card from this pile or draws from the blind deck?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
eagle_76 wrote:
Scenario:

A player selects a train card from the open pile on a first draw. They then replace it with a train card from the draw pile, which happens to be a locomotive.

Can this locomotive (wild card) be claimed as their second draw card?

Nope, if you choose a loco from the open pile, that is your only draw. So you cannot choose a train card, then a loco.

Welcome to the Geek.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locos cannot be picked up from the face up cards on the second draw. You can, however, try your luck at drawing one from the face down deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I can win against my wife now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eagle_76 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I can win against my wife now

Hah hah! I play this against my wife all the time (mostly because it is the only game she'll play).

Well - actually I'm lying. She did play Battle Cry with me a few times several years ago until I started rubbing in my victories too much - so don't make that mistake! Remember - even if you win, make *sure* you tell her that it was really just luck and you were sure she was going to win up until the last round (this fantasy is also helped if you don't win by more than, say, oh 100 points or so).

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't replace drawn cards until the player has *completed* his turn.
So
1) draw card(s)
THEN 2) replace any face up cards by turning over new card(s) from the deck.

As for locomotives, if a face up loco is taken, that is the ONLY card that can be taken that turn.

so the drawing options are:

1) Draw faceup *loco*. STOP. Replace the card taken with a new one from the deck.
2) Draw face up *train*, then either:
a) draw another face up *train* (not *loco*). Stop. Replace 2 cards.
b) draw a card from the deck. Stop. Replace 1 card.
3) draw a card from the deck, then either:
a) draw another card from the deck. Stop. No cards need to be replaced.
b) draw a face up *train* (not *loco*). Stop. Replace 1 card.

If you draw your first from the deck, you might get a loco or you might get a train. Whichever you draw does not affect your ability to choose to draw from the deck or the faceup cards for your second card.

Only if you draw a faceup loco is that the only card you can draw that turn.

Only replace drawn cards once the player has taken all his cards (1 faceup loco or 2 faceup trains/cards from the deck) for the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:

Quote:
If drawing a face-up card, the player must immediately replace it with a new card taken from the top of the draw pile.

So in fact, cards are replaced immediately, not after the player's turn is complete.

Again from the rules:

Quote:
If a face-up Locomotive card is picked during a card draw, it must be the only card picked that turn. If a Locomotive is turned over as a replacement for a first card drawn during the turn, or if a Locomotive is available face-up but not picked up as the first (and only) card, it cannot be selected as a second card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.