United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've started the task of downloading a keeping on file all the .pdf/.doc files of rulebooks, faqs, and erratas that I can find. I do this because I almost always have my laptop with me when I'm gaming, and it's sometimes very useful to have those FAQs and erratas within easy reach. Problem is that I'm sort of a stickler for official rules, and don't really want fan-created faqs.

For some games, this is pretty simple. Fantasy Flight should be commended on the ease to which you can find their rules and faqs. Days of Wonder games didn't seem to have any faqs, although their rulebooks were readily available (except for Battlelore). Most of the smaller company's wargames I have have erratas online as well.

But I have no idea where to look for faqs and erratas for Rio's games. They don't seem to be on their website, and I'm sure many of the games have faqs (Imperial, Power Grid). Same for DoW games. And I have no idea where to begin looking for Federation Commander rulings.

Also, I know that I have first edition printings of many games that I think have since seen changes. Wits and Wagers, Twilight Struggle, 1960, C&C: Ancients, and others. More than just a change to a rule or a misprinted card, I know some of the games I own have seen major revisions. I like to be up on the newest rules and revisions, but, for many, if not all, of these game, it's impossible to find what changes have been made between printings.

I've mainly been looking through publisher's websites to find what I'm looking for. Mostly what I've found here on the geek are player aids, or user created excel files for calculating victory points or some such, which is wonderful, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on where I can look?

Thanks!

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might see if you can locate specific designers and e-mail them directly. Or check their webpages. Some have BGG accounts and are willing to answer questions.

You could also e-mail publishers about their games.

Or post a question in the Rules or General forum of a particular game on this site.

In terms of Rio Grande in particular: some of their games are reprints or reissues from other publishers. If you can't get the information from them, you might try the other publishers listed for the game here on BGG.

Here's a page that may be of interest, as well as how I found it:
http://www.2f-spiele.de/spiele/faq/faq_frames_eng.htm
I first checked the Links section of the Power Grid page here on BGG. I eventually made my way to the designer's "1-page" site, which is one of the earliest links posted. From there, I hit the English button and then found my way to the FAQs.

Good luck. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a site with a number of Federation Commander rulings:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewforum.ph...

or http://tinyurl.com/6gj6pw

Check the stickies at the top for a list of rulings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep an eye on this page: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Game_Rules

Myself and a handful of others add new game rules to the bottom of the list as we find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargame errata, notes, and variants are to be found here.

Also, I find that here is a great place to look. It's where I find the most information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.