Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After perusing the rules, there are several actions requiring the "D66" (e.g. One black, one white) dice rolls. Basically, anything that happens at a random location. However, not all of these instances have detailed rules for what to do in the case of an invalid (not on the map, already occupied, not allowed) roll.

To add a little bit to that, there are two methods of resolving an invalid D66 roll, depending on where you look. One method is to skip to the next-highest port # that is a valid result. The other, of course, is to re-roll for a new result. The following is a list of when each method is used, followed by a query and a suggestion.

Next-highest Valid Result Used:
1. Set-up Step 5: "Place the Governors"
2. Set-up Step 8: "Place the Merchant Ships"
3. "Merchant Ship" (4.4, 6.31) Player-Turn Phase

--note: All three of these mechanics are used again in the Solitaire Rules.

Re-roll Invalid D66 Result Used:
1. Event Card #9: "New Governors"
2. Solitaire Rule 19.7: "Deploying the System Player's Pirates"

There is no description for these Actions:
1. Event Card #3: "Disease"
2. Event Card #20: "Storms at Sea"

Interestingly, while "Pirate Port" numbers are mentioned as invalid results, the rules never specifically address Port Numbers (such as 17-20, etc.) that simply aren't on the map.

My Question is, obviously, What should I do to reconcile invalid D66 results that don't have a rule attached?

I would suggest (now that I've noticed it's an option, which I didn't originally) that Both of the Event Cards not ruled on also be used with the 'Re-roll' method.

Otherwise, any Port # that ends in 1 (excpet #11, Boston) will have increased odds of being hit by these events. (i.e. #s 17-21 would all hit #21, St. Augustine)

Thanks,
-Zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I'm missing something, how would you get a result of 17, 18, 19 or 20 rolling d66 (one black d6 and one white d6)? The "tens" digit could only be 1 through 6; and, the "ones" digit could only be 1 through 6. The only possible results are:

11-16
21-26
31-36
41-46
51-56
61-66

Again, unless I'm misunderstanding something . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroZilla wrote:
Interestingly, while "Pirate Port" numbers are mentioned as invalid results, the rules never specifically address Port Numbers (such as 17-20, etc.) that simply aren't on the map.

Hmmm... and how are you supposed to roll a 17 with two 6 sided dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
Otherwise, any Port # that ends in 1 (excpet #11, Boston) will have increased odds of being hit by these events. (i.e. #s 17-21 would all hit #21, St. Augustine)

The only way to get St. Augustine (port #21) is to roll a 2 on the tens die and a 1 on the ones die.

Easiest way if you're having a bit of trouble with this is to put the dice side by side. You don't add anything together, you just take the exact numbers as you see them.

So if you roll a 5 and a 1, that becomes 51. If you roll a 3 and a 2, that becomes 32.

Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To add a little bit to that, there are two methods of resolving an invalid D66 roll, depending on where you look. One method is to skip to the next-highest port # that is a valid result. The other, of course, is to re-roll for a new result. The following is a list of when each method is used, followed by a query and a suggestion.

Hmm. I never noticed that. I've always used "go to the next higher valid port" method and I'll probably continue to do so. One less die roll to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there'd ever be an invalid result for the Disease and Storms at Sea cards... Even if it's a destroyed port, Disease would still hit it apparently (making it a "non-event") - and Storms simply hit whatever sea area is adjacent to the port.

As for the rest, hopefully you're straightened out on the d66 mechanics - it's a base-6 counting system, in effect. So it goes from 16 to 21, and from 26 to 31, etc. And if you roll a 66, then the next number is 11 (it starts over).

With all that said - I thought the mechanics for skipping to the next higher number when you rolled a Pirate Port while placing merchants (for example) was intentional.

For instance, the pirate port Tortuga is 36, and Port Royal follows it at 41... In effect, you have TWO chances for merchant ships at Port Royal! Also Bermuda and Boston, for the same reasons...

Weren't these ports especially active trade centers in rl? If not, they are in the game. And thus makes them a slightly better target strategy-wise...

Also, when a port is rolled that already has a merchant ship, you skip to the next highest port to place the new merchant (instead of rerolling). This can tend to make merchant ships "bunch up" - simulating a strong trade season or the like... Again, I think it was intentional and is something to watch for.

And that also is a reason to stick to the "reroll an invalid result" for new governors event. Apparently it's supposed to be completely random which ports get anti-pirate govs, while the merchants are slightly predictable.

(edits to make a confusing post slightly less confusing...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
And that also is a reason to stick to the "reroll an invalid result" for new governors event. Apparently it's supposed to be completely random which ports get anti-pirate govs, while the merchants have a slight bit more predictability.

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morrison
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Cool. Good explanation, Troy. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O.k., I'm retarded.
blush

Most likely, I'll delete this thread, but thank you all for your time and effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! Don't delete it!

It's not often I get a "correct" from a game designer

And besides, someone else may learn from it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you delete your first post, I think you can no longer delete a thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroZilla wrote:
O.k., I'm retarded.
blush

Plead temporary insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.