Imperial» Forums » Rules

Subject: Determine Controls, End Game Points, and Selling Bonds Back? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Chau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just tried one game in BSW and it sounded like I played it wrongly before on table top, so I would like you all to help me clarify:

1. How to determine who controls which country?

Rulebook said: "If, due to the allocation of bonds, a new player has achieved the highest credit sum (a tie is not sufficient, he takes over the government of that nation..."

So does the total investment amount determine the control or the credit amount?

For example, should a player with no.7 bond (20M) and no.2 bond (4M) take control of a country or another player have a no.8 bond (25M) will take the control?

2. End Game Points: does the face value of the bond count towards the victory points?

3. Can we sell back bonds to the country? Or we can only do so when we are upgrading the bond?

Thanks a lot for your clarifications here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The really big number at the top of the bond is its share value. Whomever has the highest total share value for a country controls that country. Tying another player in total share value is not enough to take control away - you must exceed that total in order to gain control.

2) Yes and no. Total the value of shares you have in a country and multiply it by the final Stock Multiplier for that country, found along the bottom of the board. That's what that country is worth to you, at the end of the game. For instance, if you have the "8" and "4" bonds for France, and France's multiplier at the end of the game is "x3", then you have 36 Victory Points for France. Total all VPs for all countries in which you have bonds. Highest total for a player wins. See this aid to help you figure it out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/187596

3) No - only when "upgrading" to a higher-value bond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmyckc wrote:

I just tried one game in BSW and it sounded like I played it wrongly before on table top, so I would like you all to help me clarify:

1. How to determine who controls which country?

Rulebook said: "If, due to the allocation of bonds, a new player has achieved the highest credit sum (a tie is not sufficient, he takes over the government of that nation..."

So does the total investment amount determine the control or the credit amount?

For example, should a player with no.7 bond (20M) and no.2 bond (4M) take control of a country or another player have a no.8 bond (25M) will take the control?

2. End Game Points: does the face value of the bond count towards the victory points?

3. Can we sell back bonds to the country? Or we can only do so when we are upgrading the bond?

Thanks a lot for your clarifications here!

1) Actual sum of paid money, so that player with 25 millions bond takes control.

2) End game points is the modifier times the smaller value on the bond.

3) Only when upgrading (that is you always end up paying more to that country). You can't sell bonds back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3) And when upgrading a bond you can only trade in one bond. For instance you couldn't trade in the $2mil and $4mil bonds, add $3mil and get the $9mil. You can never have fewer bonds than the number you had at the start of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"If, due to the allocation of bonds, a new player has achieved the highest credit sum (a tie is not sufficient, he takes over the government of that nation..."

Mea culpa.

Wow. You learn something new every day. Actually, that makes upgrading to the higher-denomination bonds a better idea, than just going by share values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ganis
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upgrading is still a generally bad idea, although last night I saw a UK 16 get upgraded to the 25. He, of course lost.

-J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrairieBoy wrote:
3) And when upgrading a bond you can only trade in one bond. For instance you couldn't trade in the $2mil and $4mil bonds, add $3mil and get the $9mil. You can never have fewer bonds than the number you had at the start of the turn.
Is this referenced in the rules somewhere? I've only played once and probably missed some rules. This one doesn't seem intuitive to me I guess - why would the amount of bond cards make any difference? Shouldn't the value(s) be the driver?

EDIT: found the answer in another thread:

Quote:
pp. 9-10 (Note the use of the singular "bond".)

2. Activating the Investor
The player who is holding the Investor card
(Investor) gets paid 2 million from the bank and
then may invest in any nation. He may only select
from the bonds that are available in the nation‘s
bond repository, and may choose whether to take
a new bond or increase an existing bond of the
same nation.

An additional bond is paid in total to the appropriate
treasury, and the player takes the bond card. If an
existing bond is increased, the card of the bond
is sorted into the pile of the nation‘s bond cards,
the new bond card is taken from the repository,
and only the difference between the two bonds
is paid into the treasury.

Still very non-intuitive, but I guess there's a game play/balance reason for it??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.