Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Ruby
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Does anyone know if this is possible with 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until Adam dings up something official, you can always just play two factions each and compare your lowest scores each. Pretty common way to slap a reasonable 2 player version on for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Itiac Nolcin wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know if this is possible with 2 players?

I believe Adam says he hopes to figure out a 2 player variant if the gaming community asks strongly enough for it, but that it was definitely intended as a 3+ players game.

For a 2 player variant, I would think about the following ideas:

- Take out the outer ring, to put the players closer together to make sure there is still combat. (Alternatively, perhaps raise the VP reward from taking out an empire from 1 to 2).

- More than 1 role each per turn - Probably 2 each, although 3 each could be interesting too.

- Regent would probably need to be changed a bit, as getting the throne wouldn't be as beneficial with only 2 players (can't choose a direction, and if you don't get it, you're only going second, not third or fourth, etc.) I also think too often the choosing player would just cancel out everything the other player does, making the role less interesting. Perhaps giving the chooser an extra empire token to place would help, although that could be a bit too unbalancing.

Anyways, those are some initial thoughts after just reading the rules and not playing... anyone else with thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan schnake
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
That's too much dough unless it's murder. And if it's murder, it's not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. We've got a 2 player version, but it's had insufficient player testing and we're still messing with it.

As you surmise, it gets rid of the outer ring of sectors and completely alters the Regent role. We'll do a little more work on it and get a document up for everyone to test and comment on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danman wrote:
Yes. We've got a 2 player version, but it's had insufficient player testing and we're still messing with it.

As you surmise, it gets rid of the outer ring of sectors and completely alters the Regent role. We'll do a little more work on it and get a document up for everyone to test and comment on.

Now that the game is out, any word on this variant? I'd love to test it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.