Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games cannot be copyrighted under most international copyright laws. This means that you can make use of the basic idea of a game as long as you don't reproduce the existing rulebook/artwork which will be copyrighted.

This doesn't apply if some mechanism in the game is patented (e.g. "tapping" in Magic: The Gathering) but that is incredibly rare.

Smallprint: I am not a lawyer. I accept no responsibility if folowing my advice winds you up in jail. If it does, however, be sure to let me know - it'll make a great story down the pub ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
I have created a game that is based heavily on an existing (but out-of-print) game's ruleset.

It is far more than a retheming or revision of the original game. All of the play materials are different, and even the rules of the parent game have been modified quite a bit. But there is still no mistaking that this game was inspired by the original one.

Can I make a new game entry for my creation, or is there some kind of copyright stuff to worry about, and I should just share it with my friends instead?

Is the game published? Or available on the web? I think it needs to be, to add it to the DB. Ask Scott Reed to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I would make the game available right from the BGG page, just like many of the print and play games here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
I would make the game available right from the BGG page, just like many of the print and play games here.

Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"Check this out" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2331111#2331111 surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
This all of a sudden became a valid question for me too. Anyone reading this, please give me a hint.

I made my own version of rules for the race game Bolide, which essentially uses the idea from the free game Racetrack, adding some extra rules for braking, boosting etcetera. The rules I 'remade' were the those 'original' rules: sharp brakings, tyre settings, etcetera. When I was done, there was nothing left of the 'Bolide' original rules, all that's in common are that both Bolide and my version uses the Racetrack mechanics and that I copy the Bolide variant of keeping track of the car's speed vectors (which is, having a pawn on the track apart from the car). Everything else is my original.

Now, I uploaded an rtf as a rules variant to Bolide but… is this creation of mine a new game? Should I submit it as a new game instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.