Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned Drakon 2e for several years, and it's for many a favourite.

I was a bit jealous of the 3e with minis, but what the heck. But then I read that coins in 3e are numbered 1-3. Does this mean that when you go to a draw a coin-tile, you draw a coin at random and you might end up with getting 3 gold?

Are the gold coins that players have, hidden?

Forget it… I found the answer in a reviews thread here.

I finally found it. A game that actually is worse in an updated edition. The whole idea of Drakon is the interesting screwage that starts when a player is close to a win, and how you plan to squeeze through what the other players can do to stop you.

Amazing. Well, I guess 3e Drakon is just a different game, then. It might be fun it its own way, but it won't replace my 2e with expansion.

Hm. $$ saved! Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they created the variable coins to make the "leader" a bit less clear, so that games might end quicker and with more sneakery (O:

If you don't like the idea of not being 100% sure who's in the lead, there's a option in the book to just play to five coins, with coins having no number value. So, there might be other reasons for you not to get this, but you don't have to worry about that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess.

For us, the whole concept of Drakon has been the open information on how close people are to the win, and what can be done to stop him/her, and how cleverly people have to set up situations that are unstoppable or have alternative routes.

But that's just one way to play the game, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3E includes a variant to play to 5 coins, just like 2nd edition. Not a big deal really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Enriquez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the 2e version there is no need for an upgrade. The variants can be played on the 2e and you have so many more room types to play with. I guess there may be expansions coming out to 3e, but who knows.

The coins are the only difference. I did not think I would like the change, but I really enjoyed it! Once my opponents get up to four coins, I know there is a chance they are making their escape (I always play with the escape variant) and so the tension of the uncertainty is quite great. Then in attempts to steal coins or sending Drakon their way, you never know just how badly you will screw them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.