badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Factions in Play:
Atreides
Fremen
Emperor
Harkonnen
Guild

The game started out a bit slowly. Nobody seemed to want to make the first major move. There was a small skirmish between the Fremen and the Emperor, but that was about it. The Harkonnen and Atreides seemed content to sit tight in their strongholds behind the shield wall and make small forays out for spice.

The Fremen managed to acquire some Family Atomics early on and sought to strike a major blow against the Atreides and the Harkonnen. The Atreides, being prescient, were able to see the attack coming and managed to vacate Arakeen before the wall blew and the storm claimed the city. The Harkonnen were not so fortunate.

From that point on, the game became much more fluid, with the outer strongholds switching hands a number of times. It wasn't until very late in the game that the first worm surfaced causing a Nexus. The Atreides quickly allied with the Fremen and the Guild joined with the Emperor. The Harkonnen, feeling left out of the politics sought to wreak havoc upon Dune and did a fairly good job bringing war and destruction everywhere.

A second Nexus quickly followed and the Fremen abandoned their Atreides allies. The Guild and the Emperor continued along and in an odd twist of fate, the Harkonnen allied with their bitter rivals, the Atreides. From that point on it became a struggle of the two alliances for the win of the game. The Fremen had a chance for a solo victory, but an Emperor move into the Imperial Basin but a halt to that. As the game went on it appeared that the Guild would actually win a default victory, but the Fremen were giving a good fight to achieve their default victory. A late round worm had the Atreides back in an alliance with the Fremen and they managed to pull off a 3 Stronghold victory in round 15. The final round of the game before the Guild won by default.

A close and exciting game, with many things expected to be different the next time around. I'm certain the next time it is played the early round will not be as docile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Vaca
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catanarama wrote:
Quest22 wrote:

Factions in Play:
Atreides
Fremen
Emperor
Harkonnen
Guild

It's interesting how the BG is almost always the first faction jettisoned when there's fewer than six players.

My group tends to kick the Guild out of bed first, and the more I try other options the more I think that it's the right decision.

I'm surprised that the game went on so long with the 3-stronghold victory condition for alliances. Usually an alliance is able to take 3 strongholds with no problem - it's the fourth that makes it tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McCreary
United States
California
flag msg tools
One Fat Pug wrote:
Quest22 wrote:

It's interesting how the BG is almost always the first faction jettisoned when there's fewer than six players.

My group tends to kick the Guild out of bed first, and the more I try other options the more I think that it's the right decision.

My group found removing the guild in a five player game makes for an interesting game. Everyone seemed more willing to ship and battle without having to pay the guild. However, it also allowed a stalemate after round 15, when the Fremen couldn't even pull off their victory conditions. I suppose the guild still won technically, even if they weren't playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Sudhoff
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
However, it also allowed a stalemate after round 15, when the Fremen couldn't even pull off their victory conditions. I suppose the guild still won technically, even if they weren't playing.

goldenturkey designed therefore a great "house rule":
The Fremen win in turn 15 if there is no guild in play. If both (Fremen+guild) are not in play, the player occupying most strongholds wins the game. If several players occupy the "most" strongholds, all those players have won (alternative: count tokens in strongholds )

Greetz HivedOne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Vaca
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HivedOne wrote:
Quote:
However, it also allowed a stalemate after round 15, when the Fremen couldn't even pull off their victory conditions. I suppose the guild still won technically, even if they weren't playing.

goldenturkey designed therefore a great "house rule":
The Fremen win in turn 15 if there is no guild in play. If both (Fremen+guild) are not in play, the player occupying most strongholds wins the game. If several players occupy the "most" strongholds, all those players have won (alternative: count tokens in strongholds )

Greetz HivedOne

I'm not sure who goldenturkey is, but this rule comes from the original rulebook. Section XXV (Q&A), item E, question 3 :

Q: What happens if at the end of the play, no one has won and the Guild are not in play?
A: The Fremen wins. If he is not in play, the player occupying the most strongholds. If several qualify, all who qualify to win.

No house rule needed.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Sudhoff
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, I didn't know, that it is mentioned in the original rules, because I "only" have a homemade copy of the game.

I thought this Q&A-Section was made by some fans, that figured out a bit more, than the designers. I linked this idea with "goldenturkey" alias Chris Jones, because he was the one, who uploaded the "dune-complete-2007"-file:
http://boardgamegeek.com/file/info/22201
...where not only the rules are found, but also the material for making a home made copy

So sorry for the misunderstanding soblue

Greetz, HivedOne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, I guess the Fremen DID win in our game (mentioned above by agent 511). I'm not sure things would have gone down quite that way if the other players didn't have a stalemate to play for (all factions but the Emperor and BG were on their own due to a timely cone of silence). As the Emperor, I was able to take or keep 3 strongholds on the last turn, but the BG player was booted out of the other two. The 3 non allied factions worked in open collusion b/c they believed that by cheating us of the victory, they were pitching a stalemate. It was a hell of a game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Sudhoff
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, maybe the Harkonnen and Atreides would have been a bit more neutral in your game, if they had known that EITHER a Fremen OR ab BG-Emp-victory were the only alternatives, they maybe wouldn't have battled so hard, hoping for a tie, where they at least were not the loosers...

I hate ties in longlasting games. They leave a bad taste in one's mouth... they are nearly as nasty as "kingmaking" (see this post): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/306906

However, as long as you enjoyed your session, it is great!

Greetz, HivedOne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.