Brass Jester
United Kingdom
Halesowen
Black Country
flag msg tools
badge
I smile as the puppets dance in the court of the Crimson King
mbmbmbmbmb
Anthony, could you clarify this please. Quin is brilliant; but all reviews I've read, and how I was taught to play, say that in your turn, you can't undo the move your opponent just made. The rules don't actually say this in my copy. They say you can't move or rotate the same board in your turn. This is a major difference,as the way I was taught, you couldn't (say) unrotate a board, but you could still move it sideways. So which is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Brass Jester wrote:
Anthony, could you clarify this please. Quin is brilliant; but all reviews I've read, and how I was taught to play, say that in your turn, you can't undo the move your opponent just made. The rules don't actually say this in my copy. They say you can't move or rotate the same board in your turn. This is a major difference,as the way I was taught, you couldn't (say) unrotate a board, but you could still move it sideways. So which is correct?

You seem to be mixing 2 concepts with the 2 quotations.

1. Not undoing your opponent's previous move is one concept (to prevent infinite loops in play).

2. Not moving and rotating the same board in your turn is a different concept that has nothing to do with what your opponent did on their turn, but just means a player cannot move (slide) AND rotate in the same turn; pick one of those actions and do it, not both actions. It's not meaning "the same board your opponent affected on their previous turn".

Sorry I don't have the rules at hand to quote, but I remember when I played this (16 times) last year there was surely something about not being able to undo the opponents' previous move. Such a rule seems obviously necessary to prevent a losing player from forcing an infinite loop draw result very easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brass Jester
United Kingdom
Halesowen
Black Country
flag msg tools
badge
I smile as the puppets dance in the court of the Crimson King
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ
What I wrote was a direct quote from the rules. It clearly says you cannot move OR (not AND) rotate the same board in your turn. I know that you can only do one of the three actions. There is nothing else; certainly there is no direct rule against undoing the opponents move (but see below)

The way the rules read is this: - if you move or rotate board C in your turn, then in the subsequent turn your opponent cannot move or rotate Board C in any way (they can of course move Board B, which will carry Board C with it)

However, the way everyone on the Geek seems to be playing it, is that if I rotate Board C clockwise 90 degrees, my opponent cannot then rotate it anticlockwise 90 degrees. Fine, this is to prevent the 'loop'. But my opponent can still move Board C in some other way (slide it, rotate it a further 90 degrees clockwise etc.) and I wondered why people are playing it this way as the rules as written forbid this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Aha! Now I get what you mean. I did not realize the rules said that. Now I wish a little more that I'd bought the game, just so I could look this up and ponder it. It's been too many months since I last played it, so I can't even remember if we followed the rule as written or just did the weaker "don't undo their action" version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
The rules are available in the files section. And there it does clearly state

"Once a board has been rotated or moved the next player cannot move or
rotate the same board in their turn."

So, it appears I have been playing this incorrectly as well. Of course, the above rules covers the dont-do-what-the-other-guy-did rule as well.

Now, I am curious if this changes the game play much.

(I only have played it with my daughter of 9, so not too big a deal in my case)

It's a good catch....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Brown
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I find playing both rules is valid as long as your opponent agree's on the complexity of the game play before you start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.